What would your club's best fringe players command in a trade?

Remove this Banner Ad

Ashley McGrath - 183cm, 82kgs, 29 years old

I'd never trade him, personally, but some people seem to think he'd want to go home. He plays in the backline for us but I think his best position is up forward - can mark well and crumbs very strongly. Regularly kicks 3-5 when he's up forward. If he signaled he wanted to leave I'd imagine he'd be a sweetener in a trade.

Cheynee Stiller - 187cm, 84kgs, 26 years old

Reliable but not astounding mid who recently played his 100th game. Again, would be of value to an expansion club or somebody needing experience in the midfield/half-back line. Had a solid year in 2009 when we got to the semis. He may be delisted so he wouldn't command a high price tag.

McGrath's best position is clearly forward, surprised Voss and other lions supporters don't seem to see it.
Stiller will almost certainly be delisted

Thornton and Jordan Russel may have some interest, though they can just walk if an opportunity comes up.

Paul Bower, Aaron Joseph, Simon White have all shown flashes...wouldn't expect much in return though would like to see them get opportunitities elsewhere.

Really not sure what the situation with David Ellard is but he can play, and it wouldn't surprise me if he was looking for more opportunity. Somewhere in the 30-40 range I would have thought.

Collins has shown himself to be worth persevering with. Armfield has grabbed his opportunitities this year and played himself into best 22 calculations for mine. Brock has played himself into another contract, just a matter of whether it is at Carlton or elsewhere. The rest are developing younger types who shouldn't be on the table.

Tom Logan, Matt Thomas, Brett Ebert, Brent Renouf, Simon Phillips, David Rodan, Steven Salopek, Darren Pfeiffer, Daniel Stewart from the seniors. Mitch Banner, Cameron Hitchcock, Cameron O'Shea, Ben Jacobs from the younger players.

Greenwood
Also want (excluding the Boak bit). Port Magpies boy who would be an instant upgrade on someone like Matt Thomas.

This is something id think is worth looking at. Would seriously consider Jacobs for greenwood. Jacobs has had hammy issues though hasnt he?

For North:

Hmac - If the cats dont seriously look here id be shocked. Only if he wants to go for better opportunity. Mid 2nd round worth more :(

Pederson - Again only if he wanted, too good to be stuck in VFL again 2nd round pick. (Saints?)

McKinley, Warren, Urquhart - Free to good home

Curious as to what Crows ppl think McKernan would be valued at. Mid 2nd round?

At every club, there are players who are unable to crack a regular game but the fans nonetheless don't want to see them leave. At least, not without getting something sweet in return.

At West Coast, we have a guy called Koby Stevens. He could still be a handy player - he's 21, after all. Still bloody young. Look at the Swans' Josh Kennedy.

But in three years, he's managed 11 games. Yet some Eagles fans would argue that, should he leave at the end of 2012, a pick in the 16-25 bracket would be the fair offer in return.

That strikes me as pretty bloody optimistic. I sense that would be a hard sell. How many fringe players fetch first-rounders in return?

But there are as many bad calls during trade week as in the early stages of the draft. St Kilda gave up pick 17 for Fergus Watts. But then there's Shaun Grigg, Josh Kennedy or even Josh Hill this year. Fringe players whose performances for their new clubs have surpassed the modest return during trade week.

So, it raises the question: which players at your club can't crack a regular game but perhaps retain exaggerated value in supporters' eyes?

Kobe Stevens would be a good fit at Essendon as they are in need for a good young inside midfielder.
Considering he has had injury issues and has only played 11 games in 3 years I can't see WC getting much for him. He seems to be on the outer as swift has over taken him and Kobe has never shown anything at AFL level.

There does however seem to be some hype mainly from WC supporters, I have never seen him play so im going off stats and forums.
I'd offer one of lonergan, hooker or reimers.
If WC would prefer a pick then a 3rd round draft pick is all I'd give up in a super draft.

What type of player would West Coast want for Kobe?

Fair call,

Just finding it amusing that now Gumby is showing some skills (kicked 4.3 in a thrashing as the lone tall) that BF posters are lining up to trade their spuds for him.

The guy was pick 2, is 199cm, strong contested mark with a massive tank. Obviously the risk is what takes down his value, but in that case WE are better taking the risk than trading him for a spud.

The main thing that I am looking at is you guys recruiting Daniher. What timeframe do you have on him making best 22? The expectations seem to game 1 next season from what I have read. That leaves Gumbleton potentially depth on your list, and I think that is a bad situation for him to be in.

The main thing that I am looking at is you guys recruiting Daniher. What timeframe do you have on him making best 22? The expectations seem to game 1 next season from what I have read. That leaves Gumbleton potentially depth on your list, and I think that is a bad situation for him to be in.

Daniher could play round 1 (will probably play 5-10 games next year), however gumby never has/nor never will be depth. We are in a very unique positon not only having so many talls, but so many mobile talls as well, its not as if they are all david hille style dinosaurs.
Worst case scenario we end up with a to heavy forward line and play hurley back, best case scenario we play them all together and it works.

2 guys that have been mentioned on the essendon board are Jed Lamb from the swans and suban from freo. What are their deals? both seem out of favor and down the pecking order.

Kobe Stevens would be a good fit at Essendon as they are in need for a good young inside midfielder.
Considering he has had injury issues and has only played 11 games in 3 years I can't see WC getting much for him. He seems to be on the outer as swift has over taken him and Kobe has never shown anything at AFL level.

There does however seem to be some hype mainly from WC supporters, I have never seen him play so im going off stats and forums.
If WC would prefer a pick then a 3rd round draft pick is all I'd give up in a super draft.

Hooker would be the go there. We are a little short on KPD depth.

West Coast may not not want a player - They may want a draft pick.

3rd forward in half the sides in the AFL.

FFS, Richmond are playing McGuane as a 3rd forward.

He can't play third tall. He is an undersized, lead up forward who has average agility and thus struggles when the ball hits the ground.

To his credit he plays very well in the VFL, but gets found out at AFL level especially when not one of the main focal points.

Being generous, he'd get a game for 4 clubs.

At the Crows:

Shaun McKernan- 21yo, 23 games. Can play as a Key Forward or Ruck. His Ruck work is decent despite being undersized (198cm I think). His biggest ? is his work ethic. If someone can put a firecracker under him, he could turn out to be a reasonable player.

I know this has no chance of happening, but what would it take to get him to Sydney? Think he would fit as a great tandem with reid

As for us:

Brett Meredith - 23 (will be 24 before next season) years old, 16 games.

Talented outside mid/HFF with a nice kick on him. Has been on the verge of cracking our team a few times, but been kept back by injuries. needs confidence + a clean run of injuries.

Jesse White - 24 years old, 56 games

KPF/Ruck who has fallen out of both favour and confidence. Needs both, but I hold hope he could still be something. See: Hawkins, Tom.

Trent Dennis-Lane - 23 years old, 18 games

Put him here as he is technically a fringe player. Handy goalsneak/lead up forward who is deceptively quick off the mark and has a nice pair of hands. arguably our best kick for goal in the side.

Others include Mark Seaby and Jared Moore, if anyone stills wants them :s

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know this has no chance of happening, but what would it take to get him to Sydney? Think he would fit as a great tandem with reid

Yeah, unfortunately if he did leave us I'm pretty sure it would be to go back to Vic. Same old story. Having said that, would probably take your 2nd and 3rd round picks to get a deal done. None of the players mentioned would be overly desired.

Daniher could play round 1 (will probably play 5-10 games next year), however gumby never has/nor never will be depth. We are in a very unique positon not only having so many talls, but so many mobile talls as well, its not as if they are all david hille style dinosaurs.
Worst case scenario we end up with a to heavy forward line and play hurley back, best case scenario we play them all together and it works.

2 guys that have been mentioned on the essendon board are Jed Lamb from the swans and suban from freo. What are their deals? both seem out of favor and down the pecking order.

Suban has been in and out of the side, due to the fact we have too many half back flankers where he plays. Has been playing as an inside mid in the WAFL and may move there in the future. Has great left foot kick (a bit stuart dew like) but needs to work harder to be locked in the top 22.

I would say he would be available for a 2nd round pick or suban + pick for Gumby.

I know you said Gumby wont leave, but we dont have many KPF and until he puts pen to paper us fremantle supporters will keep dreaming :)

With no Ziebell and Adams, Garlett got his chance in the last two weeks. A total of 43 disposals, 12 tackles and 3 goals over the 2 games.

In all seriousness, he would've been Essendon's 2nd best midfielder yesterday.

Hard to see him getting pushed out now but if he was he'd be rightly pissed off and I wouldn't blame him at all if he walked.

Pedersen should seek a trade.

Impartial request for non-Bulldog fans - is Jarrad Grant worth much (if anything) on the trade table?

Impartial request for non-Bulldog fans - is Jarrad Grant worth much (if anything) on the trade table?

3rd rounder or 2nd rounder for 3rd and Grant type deal I'd say. Tom Lynch went for a 2nd rounder in a much weaker draft last year and he went in the draft after Grant.

Jordan Gysberts (2 x rising star nominations) and Lucas Cook (AA U18 CHF) both appear on the outer at MFC - can't hold or get a place in the MFC side despite massive injury list - possibly due to lack of intensity. Likely to have trade value.

Ricky Petterd may inspire some trade interest. We traded Matthew Warnock to GC last year.

Jared Rivers, Brent Moloney, Lynden Dunn and Matthew Bate are all FA whose contract negotiations have been put on hold until October - but as FA wont be trades.

Jordan Gysberts (2 x rising star nominations) and Lucas Cook (AA U18 CHF) both appear on the outer at MFC - can't hold or get a place in the MFC side despite massive injury list - possibly due to lack of intensity. Likely to have trade value.

gysberts talk has been lighting up the essendon board, because our depth is shizen.
1. How's his kicking, I recall him having talent, but have not seen him for a long while.
2. whats his price? if you want experience i'd offer someone like lonergan, if it's draft picks, i dunno, maybe 3rd rounder (which is getting better and better by the week)

Ricky Petterd may inspire some trade interest. We traded Matthew Warnock to GC last year.

Jared Rivers, Brent Moloney, Lynden Dunn and Matthew Bate are all FA whose contract negotiations have been put on hold until October - but as FA wont be trades.

Cook is just a kid. I'm glad the club haven't given him a game just to appease the fans or to give him experience. He's a 2nd year KPF, he's not on the outer, he's developing physically.

Gysberts on the other hand I just don't think is very good.

On Koby Stevens how is his kicking i can remember it not being the greatest and also how is his speed i think he slipped a bit because of OP how is that going for him. Thanks guys

Cook is just a kid. I'm glad the club haven't given him a game just to appease the fans or to give him experience. He's a 2nd year KPF, he's not on the outer, he's developing physically.

Cook couldn't get a game against GC despite our massive injury list - it's not a sign that Neeld rates him. Interesting to see if he gets a start against GWS this week - I'm not holding my breath.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back