Movie What's the last movie you saw? (4)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to admit I dismissed this one out of hand when I read the three words 'vampire soap opera' in the synopsis.

I'm not completely opposed to seeing it, but I'd have to hear something awfully special before I wanted to.

I thought it was cliche & the ending was confusing.

Great Visuals
Have read reviews and was suprised by the venom in some reviews.
Typical Depp/Burton as well.

6/10

Most criticism was about plot holes. But let's face it. When you're watching a movie about vampires, werewolves and witches does it really matter that the plot doesn't make sense?

I loved the visuals and the soundtrack, mostly from the early 70s, probably my favourite musical era. After a night's reflection there were probably a few things I could pick out about the movie to criticise and would probably downgrade it to a 7 or 8 but it was very good and definitely worth seeing.

Watched Chopper last night and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Eric Bana is sublime in this - funny, tragic, psychotic, human. Supporting characters do an okay job but Bana steals the show. I was disappointed when it ended, I hoped it to be longer.

After loving both this and The Assassination of Jesse James I am now really looking forward to Andrew Dominik's offering coming out this year, "Killing them Softly" with Brad Pitt.

Surely up there as one of Australia's (born in NZ) better directors of recent times, albeit not having a very big list of credits (yet).

I didn't make a great decision watching Badlands so soon after seeing Bonnie and Clyde. As a result after the opening 40 minutes I kind of fast fowarded it through. Then again i'm not the biggest fan of Malick

I saw The Five Year Engagement a few weeks ago, and it felt as though I had been watching it for five years when it finally ended.

I remember taking my kids to see Bicentennial Man and feeling like it took 200 years !

I watched Red Hill last night. Australian thriller/action flick with Ryan Kwanten playing a young cop who has relocated to a country town with his heavily pregnant wife.

On his first day, a prison escapee starts killing all of the locals with an emphasis on the cops that put him away.

Kwanten could be an international star. He has great screen presence which I knew from True Blood, but he has the makings of a very good leading man.

The film moves at exactly the right pace to keep the tension taught. Beautifully shot and very well acted with Steve Bisley as the dodgy senior cop. Tom E Lewis plays the escapee with dignity despite blowing people away. He played Jimmie Blacksmith many years ago and this role was made for him.

I really liked it. 7.5/10

I saw The Five Year Engagement a few weeks ago, and it felt as though I had been watching it for five years when it finally ended.

I watched it on the weekend and while i didn't hate it, it did go on far too long. Pacing was off and i found myself looking at my watch a lot.

The other thing i watched on the weekend was Meatballs 3 that i recorded for a laugh a few weeks ago. It was kind of good, in the so bad it's good style. pr0n actor dies, can't get into heaven, comes back to help a virgin nerd get laid so that she can get into heaven. It was a shocker but i strangely interesting.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watched Chopper last night and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Eric Bana is sublime in this - funny, tragic, psychotic, human. Supporting characters do an okay job but Bana steals the show. I was disappointed when it ended, I hoped it to be longer.

After loving both this and The Assassination of Jesse James I am now really looking forward to Andrew Dominik's offering coming out this year, "Killing them Softly" with Brad Pitt.

Surely up there as one of Australia's (born in NZ) better directors of recent times, albeit not having a very big list of credits (yet).
His rookie effort was more than stellar but his sophomore film was close to being a masterpiece. Very much anticipating Killing Them Softly.

Men In Black III

Re writing history or re writing the original most definately the best MIB.

"Zed's dead baby, Zed's dead."​

Will Smith & Tommy Lee Jones are back after 15 years from MIB 1, and 10 years since MIB2. Joined by Josh Brolin who is excellent as a youngeer agent K. Especially enjoyed Michael Stuhlbarg as Griffin the future seeing alien.

Disappointing for me. Loved the first MIB. As is the norm they rush out a 2nd which I have seen once and usually the 3rd in the instalment is 2nd best because they have had time to develop the plot and characters, well, ho hum.

This film tries.....like trying to get up that slippery slope and get over the top...but it tries for a while to be better or even just as good as MIB 1 but...it fails and heads down the abyss of so so films.

If you miss it at the cinema's don't dispair it will be on DVD soon. Do not pay top dollar or wait till it hits Foxtel.

Highlight. The extra long Spiderman preview - some serious editing needed, just about saw the whole movie. Emma Stone & Eduardo from The Social Network.

The Avengers

Exactly what you would expect. 8/10.

Watched the Ghost Recon Alpha teaser short movie (24 mins) for the soon to be released game by Ubisoft, was pretty cool, but of course was left wanting more...

I don't know why I'd never come across this before. It's not going to be for everyone's taste but those who swear by the National Lampoon's "Holiday" series will appreciate that Hotel Hell really honours the originals in it's style.

It's not a movie as such, it's a short film, for some reason called a "commercial".

If you're interested, there's no need to go searching, for here she be :

[youtube]nm9JB7WdbhM[/youtube]

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy

Sometimes I think the very best movies - the really great ones - they are the ones that don't waste time, they make the most out of every single shot of film - I think this flick fits into my parameters for "great movie". Tomas Alfredson masterfully squeezes the life out of every frame. It's such a beautiful movie to watch, just soaked in gooey retro goodness. And Alfredson also manages strong performances from a great ensemble - but the standout is (obviously) Gary Oldman (duh, he won an Oscar). There's this one closeup of Oldman's face midway through, where he displays like a bajillion emotions in ten seconds - it was amazing.
The story wasn't all that - but the execution, on all parts, was top-notch.

5 stars!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back