What's your preferred Grand Final match up?

Your preferred grand final match up

• Sydney vs Hawthorn

Votes: 87 20.9%
  • Sydney vs Port Adelaide

Votes: 78 18.8%
  • Hawthorn vs North Melbourne

Votes: 74 17.8%
  • Port Adelaide a North Melbourne

Votes: 177 42.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Anything but Sydney v Port. Just doesn't appeal to me at all.

Sydney v Hawthorn - status quo
North v Hawthorn - 70s throwback
North v Port - underdogs

North v Hawthorn would be the 4th Roos / Hawks Grand Final. One of the historically significant but nonetheless neglected rivalries of the VFL/AFL.

North and Hawthorn have played in 15 finals (8-7 Hawks way), easily the most prolific Hawthorn and North Melbourne finals opponent

Hawks and North in Tassie has a bit of a La Dodgers v SF Giants feel about it...

Would have thought that was pretty obvious. They smashed everyone that year but came unstuck against the better team on the day
Haha maybe. Standing up in finals is what it's all about though. I probably came across as more serious in my original post than I intended to.

Just curious, do you prefer North v Port to North v Hawthorn because a win is likelier? To an extent I'd have thought you'd rather see North v Hawthorn - risk is higher but a) it's all Victorian (I usually prefer this to watching interstate sides) b) you get the chance to knock off Hawthorn in a GF and c) it'd be more memorable to beat a top side.

none of those 3 reasons, even combined, come even remotely close to being preferable over the option of the most likely game to win.

I know it's impossible but my dream matchup would have been the match-up this weekend - Hawks v Port. Oh well, Sydney v the winner will have to do.

It's easy to say 'whoever gets there'. It's also easy to say 'Hawks vs Sydney' at this point since Freo and Geelong are gone.

So I'll go the second one. I think, in terms of 'best, most competitive pair possible', they are it. I'd be happy for Hale, and I'd be happy for Longmire.

1. Port vs North - We've just had two top 4 teams eliminated in the semi finals may as well go the whole hog and have two non top 4 teams in the GF.
2. Sydney vs Port - Our other option but a tougher opponent.
3. Hawthorn vs North - The other option to see a non top 4 side in the GF. Even though I'd probably go for Hawthorn
4. Sydney vs Hawthorn - Somewhat boring. I'd probably lean towards Swans.

I could make a case for all 4 matchups being what I like.
Sydney v Hawthorn just looks at this stage the best 2 teams and Franklin v Hawks would be pretty epic really.
However I hate those 2 sides so I want a Roos v Port GF
Sydney v Port would be ok as my team arent in it then I want two sides who are fairly irrelevant.
Swans winning just seems like no one wins, which is good.
Port got flogged by us in 2007 so I feel sorry for them.
Hawks v Roos would be pretty good aswell as I think GF week will have a nice feel about it in Victoria. Bit of a throwback type of thing.

I'd say the Tassie cup would be my pick, to reignite the rivalry of the 70s

Some Hawks fans would want the chance to beat Buddy but for that I'd need to wish that the Swans won against NM And I could never do that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1. Port v North - For the Lolz.
2. Sydney V Port - Could Port actually do it? Great story if they just make it.
3. Sydney V Hawthorn - Would be another classic

Daylight

4. North V Hawthorn - Would be s**t and Hawthorn would win a landslide

Something different. So, North Vs Port.

I think most people would love to see Buddy match up against his old team in a GF. It would be a match and lead up filled with drama and you'd know at some point Buddy would tear the game apart.

Back