When did silvagni stop being rated?

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 25, 2002
Roleystone
AFL Club
Fremantle
It seems this off season we've been looking at trading and drafting to find some key position players. Two years ago silvagni was a massive fan favourite. He looked the goods and we were panning Lyon for not playing him. We still need key position players, he's still here, what has changed.

The good and bad thing about silvagni is that he seems quite flexible. He can't quite dominate in the back line so gets given the poisoned chalice of playing int he forward line. I would like to see him given a regular role in the back line. He could take the second tall and mcpharlin could be loose man. He is quite attacking for a back man which makes him a good mcpharlin replacement.

Coach Lyon is renowned for taking mid tier players to another level. I hope this year it is silvagni.

The exact moment was when he had made ground to intercept a pass to Taylor Walker, the ball hit him in the chest, he then over ran the ball, Taylor Walker swooped and goaled.

I hope he comes back from that, I actually think he's a good 3rd Backman. But Johnson plays the role so much more effectively.

His stints as a forward did him no good, people wax lyrical over his aggression but that alone wasn't enough to justify him being selected there.

He couldn't get a game for most of 2012 due to Dawson's inclusion and people here hyped him up more with each week he wasn't in the team. Expectations reached lofty heights and when he finally came in to the side he more or less stunk it up from the weight of that expectation and pressure to retain his spot.

We saw this year though that when he's given a run of games playing purely as a defender he actually goes alright, there's still a part of me that although acknowledging the effective role Dawson plays for the side would even now rather Silvagni ahead of him.

His contract extension may give rise to renewed hopes of him being best 22 next year; I don't think that wil be the case but I think Silvagni will be at least be considered strongly if Zac has a poor game or two.

The exact moment was when he had made ground to intercept a pass to Taylor Walker, the ball hit him in the chest, he then over ran the ball, Taylor Walker swooped and goaled.

I hope he comes back from that, I actually think he's a good 3rd Backman. But Johnson plays the role so much more effectively.

I reckon he has the tools to be a good KPD actually, not just a third tall.

We saw this year though that when he's given a run of games playing purely as a defender he actually goes alright

This is key. When he gets a run of games he is handy. The problem is Dawson and Johnson play his position and neither of them are going to get dropped for Silvagni to get a game.

I think we had less to get excited about when Silvagni hype was at it's peak. We are a very different side now. Silvagni is a great depth player. Many players have serviceable careers as depth players. Mark Bolton from Essendon is one who comes to mind. We have more options, with the improved form of MJ and the recruitment of Dawson and a need to look more long term in Tanner Smith. Meaning Silvagni will always act as a backup for all of those guys. I think people are now more realistic about Silvagni position in the team and the AFL.

I like Silvagni, I think he is a good player, but facts are facts he is not currently a top line defender.
I think well before the Adelaide final, against the pies in 2012 at the MCG, he was playing alongside McP and Roberton because Dawson was out, and it just unfolded watching him that day that he was behind both Roberton and Dawson. I seriously think if Roberton had agreed to stay, Silvagni would have been delisted by now.
I hope Silvagni has a cracking year this year, Dawson had a terrible GF and should be vulnerable

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I rate Silvangi as a defender, he was given some tough tasks when brought in, that will help his development. One thing I like about him is his aggression for the footy.

I don't see him getting much game time this year, with a healthy back six he won't find himself in it. Mcpharlin, Johnson, Dawson, Ibbo, Duffield & Spur will take the back six. Silvangi will be the backup defender

Mcpharlin's more then likely playing his last season next year, Silvangi might slot in the following season with a starting role

Well, has not shown much since 2011. Dawson took his spot somehow.

When Dawson (?) was injured in 2012 he come back from a longer injury underdone and didn't play that well. And then during the finals series he had to replace a fit and firing McPharlin.

In 2013 he played forward with average sucess and couldn't grap a back spot even with McPharlin out during the later season.

Agree that expectations were huge. Took a couple of scalps in 2011 (after a promising 2010, too) like Brown, Franklin and Hall. And he was a good mark, I expected him to get a few goals from marks playing forwards even with average kicking.

PS And in his best games he played a lot like McPharlin. So people liked to see him as nearly as good.

PPS I was hyping him for longer then most, so I am actually pretty dissappointed having to admit how little he showed in recent times.

His build is wrong for a KPD He has a long neck which gives him the effect of looking like he can play on the big KPF'S.His short torso effects his arm reach .He is suited to play the third defender and unfortunately there is a heap in front of him

PS if this doesnt make any sense I blame watching the cricket last night and Aussie getting beaten by 3 balls.Really p'd me off:(

His build is wrong for a KPD He has a long neck which gives him the effect of looking like he can play on the big KPF'S.His short torso effects his arm reach .He is suited to play the third defender and unfortunately there is a heap in front of him
Like I wrote, he did pretty well in 2011...

More like when did he stop getting overrated.

I don't think we ever overrated him. It was more a case of high expectations after his good 2011 performances (especially on Buddy) and everyone expecting him to continue on. If we didn't get Zac then maybe he would have.

I don't think we ever overrated him. It was more a case of high expectations after his good 2011 performances (especially on Buddy) and everyone expecting him to continue on. If we didn't get Zac then maybe he would have.
Well, when I remember right he was injured. So he was no competition to Dawson anyway...

Well, when I remember right he was injured anyway. So he was no competition to Dawson anyway...

Towards the end of this season Silvagni was starting to look really fierce in defence.

Whereas before he would come hard on the ball (or the player) and give the free; he's getting better at beating the mean or even playing the loose role. When McPharlin, Ibbo and C. Pearce were out he was starting to play all three roles seamlessly and with versatility.

My guess is that McPharlin, Pav and Sandi will all be managed next year with Gumby and Bradley being swapped with Pav, Griff and Hannath being swapped with Sandi and Silvagni being swapped with McPharlin.

Let's not forget when any backmen go down he's the first in line, and he's a solid replacement. After him who else is there really? Smith has got some time to go IMO.

PS if this doesnt make any sense I blame watching the cricket last night and Aussie getting beaten by 3 balls.Really p'd me off:(

it's true. that neck gives him at least three centimetres of disproportionate height and his arms aren't anywhere near long enough to be a true KPD.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back