List Mgmt. Where are they now? (ex suns)

Remove this Banner Ad

Daniel Harris was a playing assistant coach at Airport West in Melbourne last season from memory. His team won the premiership.

Yes there is, look how many get picked up each year now...even our very own Leigh Osborne came from the VFL.
I guess we have different definitions of AFL quality. No more than 1 or 2 VFL players are of a starting 22 AFL standard. List cloggers maybe, but not even squad of 25 material.

And how many each year get picked up do you reckon? How many of them go on to be decent AFL players?

Seriously mate, watch some VFL games. There's nothing there man.

look at clifton.. he won the liston medal and only lasted 5 games for gws, of all teams

Clifton is still on their list and injured most of last season. If you dont rate the vfl, lol where do you propose players come from?

Look at Port Melbourne, are one of the few non afl affiliates and they dominate the league year in year out.

Clifton is still on their list and injured most of last season. If you dont rate the vfl, lol where do you propose players come from?

Look at Port Melbourne, are one of the few non afl affiliates and they dominate the league year in year out.
clifton got delisted..
you generally find mature agers get picked up from sanfl and wafl, they are better leagues..
you get the odd vfl player here and there but the talent is thin compared to the other leagues..

Where do YOU think they come from? 95% of players come through the 18s and the draft. Then a fair few players go from club to club.

Scotty_222 is spot on. SANFL and WAFL are a lot stronger leagues. The VFL doesn't possess hardly any AFL level talent.

Port Melbourne as you mentioned is full of ex-AFL guys who were delisted for not being up to scratch. They win so much because they are a stand alone club and can train and implement structures with full access to their players (unlike VFL clubs with half of an AFL list coming down for a run in them). Also, they don't have to play any players in a position for them to develop. They have and must adopt a win-now mentality. Terrible call mate.

Liddy is living in Cairns. Given away football but has a young son and girlfriend to care for despite his young age.

Toy will be playing for Werribee in the VFL. What a fall from grace for the once talked about potential top draft pick. Hope he finds his way back onto an AFL list, but will be tough! I think he has the skills but lacks the intensity and drive! Perhaps similar to Jolly who is also a gun.

Remember Hayden kicking the winning goal for us in a 2011 NAB cup game over the Swans! Also in about his 2nd afl match he absolutely tore up at Metricon being top 3 in possession getters off half back line. Why did Hinkley not take him at Port? even as a rookie, they know each other well.

Toy will be playing for Werribee in the VFL. What a fall from grace for the once talked about potential top draft pick. Hope he finds his way back onto an AFL list, but will be tough! I think he has the skills but lacks the intensity and drive! Perhaps similar to Jolly who is also a gun.

Remember Hayden kicking the winning goal for us in a 2011 NAB cup game over the Swans! Also in about his 2nd afl match he absolutely tore up at Metricon being top 3 in possession getters off half back line. Why did Hinkley not take him at Port? even as a rookie, they know each other well.

I think that says it all

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i dont think macqualter was a gun.. just filled a position we needed at the time

It's unfortunate Andrew wasnt blessed with a few extra inches in height to fill out into. As a juniour i remember him being an absolute freak but was overlooked in the draft due to his height. Correct me if im wrong but he was first rookie listed at St.Kilda and his work ethic was what got him over the line.

It's unfortunate Andrew wasnt blessed with a few extra inches in height to fill out into. As a juniour i remember him being an absolute freak but was overlooked in the draft due to his height. Correct me if im wrong but he was first rookie listed at St.Kilda and his work ethic was what got him over the line.

u gotta be decent to make a grand final side imo.. he wasnt a bad player

I wouldnt call him a spud, but there are a lot of others out there that would. That StKilda team had 10 elite players and the rest were just good week in week out players, with a few spuds mixed in for good measure.

No. No there are not. Unless by a number you mean 1 or 2.

People over estimate how good your average AFL players are. In 2011 we had guys like Tim Mohr and Ahmad Saad come through the VFL. There are guys like Myles Sewell, Kris Pendlebury, Valenti, Brett Goodes (now on AFL list) and others who would be better than many current afl players on current ability.

Even the Tasmanian State League has at least two players of AFL quality in it. I can guarantee you that Aaron Hall was not even close to the best player in the TSL when he was recruited to the Suns as a mature ager, and he is certainly not the worst player in the AFL now. Neither was Jeremy Howe. Even we have Jason Laycock (was nearly recruited again this year, but failed a medical), Jaye Bowden, Michael Musicka, and Josh Woolley who would all be of AFL quality.

Being AFL quality means being good enough to play at AFL level and hold your own. There are a few current AFL players that aren't AFL quality, and there are a number who are AFL quality scattered throughout all the major leagues in Australia.

People over estimate how good your average AFL players are. In 2011 we had guys like Tim Mohr and Ahmad Saad come through the VFL. There are guys like Myles Sewell, Kris Pendlebury, Valenti, Brett Goodes (now on AFL list) and others who would be better than many current afl players on current ability.

Even the Tasmanian State League has at least two players of AFL quality in it. I can guarantee you that Aaron Hall was not even close to the best player in the TSL when he was recruited to the Suns as a mature ager, and he is certainly not the worst player in the AFL now. Neither was Jeremy Howe. Even we have Jason Laycock (was nearly recruited again this year, but failed a medical), Jaye Bowden, Michael Musicka, and Josh Woolley who would all be of AFL quality.

Being AFL quality means being good enough to play at AFL level and hold your own. There are a few current AFL players that aren't AFL quality, and there are a number who are AFL quality scattered throughout all the major leagues in Australia.
well said..

So you're saying that you are 100% sure that there are guys (you mention Kritta Pendlebury, Myles Sewell - who has kicking issues that simply cannot be fixed and others) that should be playing AFL? That are better than players on AFL lists? Taking into consideration that these guys are mature and some 18 year olds don't have the physical capabilities yet to be able to reach their full potential and need time to develop. Terribly long poorly worded sentence, but that's literally the only reason that would make your argument correct. You are, almost categorically saying that you know better than AFL list managers. That's a massive statement mate. If you were right then clubs would have already picked these guys up. Surely you agree that each club wants the best players possible on their list right?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back