Where will we finish on the AFL ladder at the end the 2022 season?

Remove this Banner Ad

I suspect bottom 4 - 6, not really fussed about results. Just want to see improvement in game and reckon we'll see it. Next year will be a better year, this year already better than last year.
Yep. Henry, Ginnivan, and Mcreery locking themselves into the team based on performance will be enough for me. Would love to add McInness to that list as well, but it's too many really young forwards.

Yep. Henry, Ginnivan, and Mcreery locking themselves into the team based on performance will be enough for me. Would love to add McInness to that list as well, but it's too many really young forwards.
This is what we should be aiming for. Kids locking in positions. Not fussed about win loss. Just a slow burn of replacing players.

Next 6 weeks could be defining.

Freo.
Carlton
Hawks
Dees
GWS
Suns

Whats realistic? 2 wins? That would make us 6-9 after round 15

Then we have
North
Crows
Essendon

Then

Port
Dees
Swans
Carlton

To finish the season.

13th at best probably.
We’ve seen enough now to know the first 3 weeks are probably the outlier at this stage.
Since then ….
We beat suns and only beat dons due to the straightest kicking in 30 years (or something).

The recent losses have been horrendous on effort and intensity. As we accrue injuries, our lack of depth is telling.
This year was always going to be directly related to our injury profile given the imbalance of our list (age and experience wise).

So based on your list…and from what I’ve seen in the past month, only the GWS and North are games we would be favourite.
GWS is more 50/50 for mine.
The rest, based on recent history, says we are 40/60 at best.

In reality, the best result for us in terms of results, is to finish bottom 4….and then have someone make a huge play at JDG that we just can’t match.
A deal we can’t match will take the angst out the decision….and two top 5 picks (before F/S) are worth more to us right now.

We’ve seen enough now to know the first 3 weeks are probably the outlier at this stage.
Since then ….
We beat suns and only beat dons due to the straightest kicking in 30 years (or something).

The recent losses have been horrendous on effort and intensity. As we accrue injuries, our lack of depth is telling.
This year was always going to be directly related to our injury profile given the imbalance of our list (age and experience wise).

So based on your list…and from what I’ve seen in the past month, only the GWS and North are games we would be favourite.
GWS is more 50/50 for mine.
The rest, based on recent history, says we are 40/60 at best.

In reality, the best result for us in terms of results, is to finish bottom 4….and then have someone make a huge play at JDG that we just can’t match.
A deal we can’t match will take the angst out the decision….and two top 5 picks (before F/S) are worth more to us right now.

You mean the GWS we haven’t beat since since the 2018 semi final?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I think like most i went into the season with little to no expectation.

After the Saints, Cats and Lions games there was a glimmer of hope that we might reach the bottom half of the 8.

That has well and truly been tempered in recent weeks. You could see a slight drop off in intensity through the wins v Essendon and Gold Coast.

The past 2 weeks we've run into a couple of hardened outfits who regained their star player and mojo against us.

It's not all doom and gloom, but the gaping hole in the middle of our list is really hurting us. Our bottom 6 would be close to the worse in the comp most weeks.

Enjoy the ride and whatever will be will be. We must draft well over the next 3 years and if we were to lose a De Goey then i actually don't think it'd be the worst result. He is basically a poor man's Dane Swan.

This is what we should be aiming for. Kids locking in positions. Not fussed about win loss. Just a slow burn of replacing players.

I get the feeling that posters on these boards and pie fans in general got suckered into early season form. Or the expectation is just coaches instruct and players execute which is highly unlikely this early in development.

It actually looked good with closing space to pressure turn over (team defence and balance of outside numbers) and moving the ball quickly at all costs . To view it simplistically.

We've lost a little of that shape in the last couple of weeks. The bug goin around hasn't helped either - Goey looks like he isn't two way running as much or as quick for example.

We need to temper expectations early on (now). But overall I do like where our game is going, ok from a list perspective going forward it isn't great, but it's not a lot different position wise from 2018 (similar KP holes). We have a good bunch of kids - one will be elite, hopefully some solid a/b graders develop with him like Jaicos, Ginni, Beau and Reef.

We will improve visually so if we can develop game into them this year and next. If we do and we're smart at the trade / draft table we may just pinch a flag when Naicos takes Dusty's mantle in a few years.

i'm not sure what impact the fans will have at the club at this stage.... things are probably fairly solid.... however if pie supporters start moaning and groaning the coach and the admin is going to start feeling more pressure...

which will probably result in destablisation as per carlton with mick and bolton...followed by an extended period of trying to crawl out of the mud. A lot of that might be due to the weak leadership at carlton but i think any club can experience it.

The course has been set. It will take a few years. We need to lose a lot of games to get good draft picks. Melbourne is currently dining on their longterm failures in the past. That's how the system works.

I feel like our start to the season placed a lot of unfair expectations upon the team by both the media, and a lot of fans. Our best is great, but our worst is pretty awful, after all, we're definitely in a rebuilding season. I expect 6-8 wins, and a 12-15th place.

As long as we are competitive, I really wouldn't want any more wins either, as anything more would place us in Essendon 2021 territory, and I would rather a good pick to target some of the best KP players come the draft.

I get the feeling that posters on these boards and pie fans in general got suckered into early season form. Or the expectation is just coaches instruct and players execute which is highly unlikely this early in development.

It actually looked good with closing space to pressure turn over (team defence and balance of outside numbers) and moving the ball quickly at all costs . To view it simplistically.

We've lost a little of that shape in the last couple of weeks. The bug goin around hasn't helped either - Goey looks like he isn't two way running as much or as quick for example.

We need to temper expectations early on (now). But overall I do like where our game is going, ok from a list perspective going forward it isn't great, but it's not a lot different position wise from 2018 (similar KP holes). We have a good bunch of kids - one will be elite, hopefully some solid a/b graders develop with him like Jaicos, Ginni, Beau and Reef.

We will improve visually so if we can develop game into them this year and next. If we do and we're smart at the trade / draft table we may just pinch a flag when Naicos takes Dusty's mantle in a few years.

I'm not sure we're fully done this season. We're still very new to this style. A lot of the big thing at the moment is getting the inside/outside balance right.

It seems to me that the flu knocked our pressure down for a couple of weeks. The coaches have probably smashed the players for this making it a huge focus - resulting in us having too many sucked to the ball and thus losing all shape on the outside.

The good news is that we don't play Richmond (8th), Saints (6th), Geelong (7th), Brisbane (2nd) again. The bad news is we have Dees (1st) twice, Fremantle (3rd) this sunday, Carlton (4th) twice, Sydney (5th)
Port (10th) is the only other one above us we have yet to play.

Below us:

Suns (12th) we play once more.
Hawks (13th)
Crows (14th) in ADL to come again
Essendon (16th) again.
North (17th) twice

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The good news is that we don't play Richmond (8th), Saints (6th), Geelong (7th), Brisbane (2nd) again. The bad news is we have Dees (1st) twice, Fremantle (3rd) this sunday, Carlton (4th) twice, Sydney (5th)

Below us:

Hawks (13th)
Essendon (16th) again.
North (17th) twice
I often feel more hopeful when we play superior sides than I do when we play those of similar ability or so called lesser teams.
Believe it or not, if we have Elliott, Roughy, Ginnivan, Pendles and Cox playing in the Queen's birthday clash I will feel we are more of a chance to win than we will be when we play the Hawks.

12th we'll finish above WCE, North, Essendon and probably Adelaide
GWS, Hawthorn, GC and us then the next four

Below us:

Hawks (13th)
Essendon (16th) again.
North (17th) twice
We only play North once.

I'm not sure we're fully done this season. We're still very new to this style. A lot of the big thing at the moment is getting the inside/outside balance right.

It seems to me that the flu knocked our pressure down for a couple of weeks. The coaches have probably smashed the players for this making it a huge focus - resulting in us having too many sucked to the ball and thus losing all shape on the outside.
Certain we'll improve, better than the start of the season. Only a pre season and 9 games into it. Nowhere near the ceiling IMO.

Takes time to get a game style finely balanced.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back