Which current players would make their club's all time best 22 ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Reckon since its now almost pointless to start revising 'team of the century' squads, its much more pertinent to refer to 'all time best 22' when it comes to discussing all time best players of each traditional club (in Port's case, Port Magpies players are allowed, as its the same club)

In Carlton's case, I think Chris Judd would be in our all time best 22, and i would be almost tempted to chuck Kade Simpson in there as well, Simmo has just been such a consistently good player, even in piss poor Wooden Spoon Blues teams (which isn't his fault)

I am fascinated with Hawthorn's all time best team as well, 3 flags in the last 8 years, only 2 players, Crawford and Hodge, would be walk up starts in their best 22, Mitchell would be an emergency.
The Hawks have been blessed with amazing Full Fowards over the decades, so no room for Buddy (plus his defection to the Swans is a factor)

Geelong definitely would have Selwood, Bartel and Enright in their all time greatest squad.

Pendlebury would be the only current Pies player i would have in Collingwood's greatest 22 (which probably is a bit rough on Dane Swan)

Dusty Fletcher is a lay down misere for Essendon's all time team but is Jobe Watson as well ?

Not sold on Cotchin being in Richmond's GOAT 22 yet, even though he has won 3 B and Fs..

Interesting discussion with the Doggies, Cooney yes, Griffen should be, but the events of this week would tarnish his legacy at the Kennell.
Great thread !!

Judd would be the only blue , judd would be the only blue this century that would make it ..... Wayne harmes did not make the Carlton totc and he is a much better player than Simpson. !!

Buddy is better than Mitchell as a key forward but Mitchell is better as a midfielder.
You're comparing apples and oranges.

Buddy doesn't make the Hawthorn best 22 of all time for mine. He has had a few fantastic seasons for Hawthorn but that's it. You can't displace any of the current Hawthorn forwards just because Buddy has played a couple of blinders. If Buddy played out his career with us then he was definitely on track to be included. But we all know how that story ended
You are kidding !! Buddy would be in first half dozen picked

This is Hawthorn's team. Can't comment on Mills, Simmonds, Bohan as I didn't see or really hear about any of abilities. For their anonymity they will be dropped along with Paul Salmon who was probably pretty lucky to make it last time.

B
Gary Ayres - Kelvin Moore - Luke Hodge (replaces Albert Mills)
HB Col Austen - Chris Mew - Peter Knights
C Robert DiPierdomenico - Sam Mitchell (replaces Jim Bohan) - Brendan Edwards
HF Graham Arthur (Cap) - Dermott Brereton - Lance Franklin (replaces Gary Buckenara)
F Jason Dunstall - Peter Hudson - John Platten
R Don Scott - Michael Tuck - Leigh Matthews
INTERCHANGE: Chris Langford, Ian Law, Gary Buckenara (replaces Roy Simmonds), Shane Crawford (replaces Paul Salmon)
Reckon you have just abt got it right !!

interested to hear how people are comparing modern players to those of previous eras.
are we saying player X is/was objectively better than player Y, or is it player X was better relative to his peers at that time than player Y is relative to his peers now?

[

Sticks and Jezza
Lloyd and Coleman
Coventry and McKenna

That's just 3 instantly of the top of my head.

Boy, much as I hate to imagine it, if I replaced Kernahan with Buddy in those 80's / 90's Carlton teams, they would have won a couple more premierships.....
Sticks was a one trick pony, decent - not brilliant lead up mark, couldn't do anything at ground level, not a great handballer... Now he WAS one hell of a leader of the blue boys, but I thought he was over rated by the faithful of the time. Buddy in a Blues jumper would have torn it up 6 ways from Sunday in that team.

Brrrrrgh, makes me a little ill just thinking about it.

You are kidding !! Buddy would be in first half dozen picked
It's a debate worthy of its own thread. But while Buddy on his day is one of the most exciting players I've ever seen IMO Sam Mitchell is the one of the two who more often made the difference between a win or a loss.

Franklin has overtaken Brereton easily.

Pffft, not even close.
Brereton would have made Buddy wet his shorts just running past.

Pure talent, sure Buddy is better.
But nobody, NOBODY is taking Dermie's spot at CHF, he sacrificed his body for the team and gave his soul with every effort. He's meant as much to the success of the Club as any player in our History.

But Buddy CAN take Bucky's spot without too much dispute.

Boy, much as I hate to imagine it, if I replaced Kernahan with Buddy in those 80's / 90's Carlton teams, they would have won a couple more premierships.....
Sticks was a one trick pony, decent - not brilliant lead up mark, couldn't do anything at ground level, not a great handballer... Now he WAS one hell of a leader of the blue boys, but I thought he was over rated by the faithful of the time. Buddy in a Blues jumper would have torn it up 6 ways from Sunday in that team.

Brrrrrgh, makes me a little ill just thinking about it.
You are either ignorant or a troll !!

Pffft, not even close.
Brereton would have made Buddy wet his shorts just running past.

Pure talent, sure Buddy is better.
But nobody, NOBODY is taking Dermie's spot at CHF, he sacrificed his body for the team and gave his soul with every effort. He's meant as much to the success of the Club as any player in our History.

But Buddy CAN take Bucky's spot without too much dispute.

Agree , brereton CHF with buddy on the flank !!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To be fair to all recent Carlton players, the all time best Carlton side is up there with the best, when I started following the Tiges in '67, the Blues were our biggest rivals, hated the club but loved and respected the players, legends of the game.
Carlton , Richmond would struggle to have player this century make their best teams , maybe judd for Carlton

Geelong would probably have the most players from this century make their best team ,

Scarlett , enright , bartel , selwood , ablett jnr , maybe chapman , Johnson

Ps; traditional clubs only !!

In a hypothetical game of football I couldn't pick Hodge in Hawthorns best ever 22.

In Carlton's case, I think Chris Judd would be in our all time best 22, and i would be almost tempted to chuck Kade Simpson in there as well, Simmo has just been such a consistently good player, even in piss poor Wooden Spoon Blues teams (which isn't his fault)

I don't even barrack for Carlton, and this is one of the most ludicrous things I have ever read.

From Richmond today - no one is close.

Probably sacrilegious, but I'm not sure if Hodge would make our side on skill. If you factor in leadership etc then he probably would, but it's not as if Hawthorn have lacked leaders over the last 40 odd years either.

Didn't see his name mentioned, but Birchall would be a dark horse to make it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back