Which current players would make their club's all time best 22 ?

Remove this Banner Ad

You are delusional if you don't think he does. Will end up kicking 1000+ goals.

lol, Franklin was a b&f winner in a premiership year, three time coleman winner and 6 time club leading goal kicker. He played 182 games for 580 goals at the Hawks and you reckon he wouldn't be in it if it was revised now? He played more games for Hawthorn than 7 players in the TOC, there's 3 players in that side that barely made it past 100 games and another that never got to 100.
On your one club theory, does that mean they shouldn't have picked Brereton? He did leave and play for two other clubs. How about Salmon who came from another club.
When did you start following the Hawks, this last season?
As much as I loved Bucky as a player, it'd be bye, bye Gary

Franklin has overtaken Brereton easily.

You are kidding !! Buddy would be in first half dozen picked

No Hodge ? Two Norm Smith medals ??
Hodge is certainly a top 10 of all time Hawk player in my mind. Going to leave a fabulous legacy at your footy club.

Franklin isn't getting into that forward line based on his career at Hawthorn. As others have pointed out there have been better players over a shorter period than those in the team but the criteria is based across their whole career at HFC. 5 or 6 years at the top doesn't cut it.

I'll admit I don't remember Mills, Austen, Bohan or Edwards but reading their BIO's on the HFC site it'd be hard to remove them.

I stand by Mitchell and Crawford being in - probably for Bohan and Edwards.
Though I get the feeling I'm falling for the trap of picking modern day players over previous generations.

On a side note, based on the Hawks team of the century there should have been two full backs ahead of Silvangi for the AFL team of the century

I've bolded my untouchables in the team below - those guys cannot be removed unless it's for someone remarkable

Current HToC

B Gary Ayres - Kelvin Moore - Albert Mills
HB Col Austen - Chris Mew - Peter Knights
C
Robert DiPierdomenico - Jim Bohan - Brendan Edwards
HF Graham Arthur (Cap) - Dermott Brereton - Gary Buckenara
F
Jason Dunstall - Peter Hudson - John Platten
R
Don Scott - Michael Tuck - Leigh Matthews
INTERCHANGE:
Chris Langford, Ian Law, Roy Simmonds, Paul Salmon

Last edited:
Swan, Pendlebury and Cloke.
Who do they kick out of your team of the Century? Not sure Cloke can displace anyone there.

Similarly, not sure there is room for both Swan and Pendles in that team when you have to figure that Buckley had to be kind of shoehorned in on the half back flank.

Franklin isn't getting into that forward line based on his career at Hawthorn. As others have pointed out there have been better players over a shorter period than those in the team but the criteria is based across their whole career at HFC. 5 or 6 years at the top doesn't cut it.

I'll admit I don't remember Mills, Austen, Bohan or Edwards but reading their BIO's on the HFC site it'd be hard to remove them.

Though I get the feeling I'm falling for the trap of picking modern day players over previous generations.

On a side note, based on the Hawks team of the century there should have been two full backs ahead of Silvangi for the AFL team of the century

I've bolded my untouchables in the team below - those guys cannot be removed unless it's for someone remarkable

Current HToC

C
F
R
INTERCHANGE:

You'd drop Brendan Edwards?

I'd be dropping Salmon myself

Who do they kick out of your team of the Century? Not sure Cloke can displace anyone there.

Similarly, not sure there is room for both Swan and Pendles in that team when you have to figure that Buckley had to be kind of shoehorned in on the half back flank.

I don't know I've only watched footy since 2000. But those three would be the ones in contention.

Hawthorn- Hodge as Captain (no joke) Mitchell, Birchall ( honourable mention to Roughead couldn't fit him in)
Sydney- Goodes, Kennedy TBD, Buddy if he's fit for his whole 9 years.
Port- Boak will be definately, possibly grey and wingard in future also.
North- Harvey.
Freo- pav, mcfarlin, fyfe and about 10 others
Geel- selwood, bartel, enright, Ablett
Ess- Jobe tbd, Fletcher
Rich- Nil
Wce- Cox and Glass
Adel- danger in a few yrs if he stays
Coll- nil, too many great past players
Carl- same as above, Judd hasn't done enough in that guernsey.
GC- the little master, forever and always ( only current player to make it in greatest team of all time IMO)
Bris- nil
Bulldogs- nil
Melbourne- nil
Stk- riewoldt, Lenny,
GWS- TBD

Current HToC

C
F
R
INTERCHANGE:
Franklin only played seven fewer games than Brereton for Hawthorn and kicked 133 more goals for Hawthorn.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pendlebury would replace Thorold Merrett
Swan would replace Mark Whelan
Cloke by the end of career will probably replace Weideman

Please do not place the names, Barry Cable & Jim / Phil Krakouer in the same sentence.

The Krakouer's were good players, but Cable was a good number of rungs above them.
I saw all of them play. Phil wasn't as prolific or strong as Jim. In my view, Jim was every bit as good a player as Cable, who was a pleasure to watch.

Hawks fans are kidding themselves if they think Franklin doesn't make our updated ToC. There may be a few who are still bitter about the move, but he comfortably sits there. Put him in the pocket, move Platten to a wing.

Of the current crop, certainly Hodge and Mitchell get a gig. Birchall almost certainly in consideration as well

Hawks fans are kidding themselves if they think Franklin doesn't make our updated ToC. There may be a few who are still bitter about the move, but he comfortably sits there. Put him in the pocket, move Platten to a wing.

Of the current crop, certainly Hodge and Mitchell get a gig. Birchall almost certainly in consideration as well
At last someone @ the hawks acknowledging buddy ,

Buckenara was an "A" grade champ but buddy was better , in fact few have played @ buddy's level in the history of the game !!

We're due for a 'Team 30' in 2016.

From our 2014 squad Cox is already first ruck in Team 20 and Glass would depose Michael Brennan (sorry Monkey).

From our 2015 squad the only player in contention is Josh Kennedy, who I believe will replace Mitchell White.

Mark LeCras comfortably has Tony Evans covered, but I can't bring myself to replace "Mr September".

Weight of numbers should have Priddis over Pyke or Lamb, but yeah nah.

We have two excellent defenders in Mackenzie and Hurn who IMO will never be in contention. Our defenders over the last 28 seasons have been that good. Our Team 20 backline (without Glass!) is:

Wirrpanda McIntosh Brennan
McKenna Jakovich Worsfold

Good luck breaking into that.

As others have stated, Buddy makes it for the Hawks on just about any measure.

Need two rucks traditionally.

The one weakness of the team, and I loathe it, is that Salmon is in the team

A couple of people have said this now and I'd love to address it...

1. There is no need for multiple rucks at all. It's a best 22 and one that will never play a game. Just pick the best players on the bench.
2. Bert Mills, by all accounts, was a gun ruckman for Hawthorn. He captained the club (3 separate occasions), coached the club, represented the big V 11 times and won 3 best and fairests. He was too accomplished to put on the bench and so was named in the TOTC's back pocket (as rucks would rest behind the ball in those days)
3. With this is mind, it is further evident that Salmon got in as flavor of the month. You don't need 3 rucks and he was in ripping form when the teams were done (but retrospectively did not do enough).

So...put Langford in the back pocket, make Mills the 2nd ruck on the bench, drop Salmon and bring in someone more deserving - like Crawford for example.

Simples :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back