Which player will be the "should have retired last season" player this year?

Remove this Banner Ad

Club by club candidates:

Adelaide: Thompson, Podsiadly
Brisbane: Maguire, Staker
Carlton: Judd, Carrazzo
Collingwood: Swan, Young, Armstrong
Essendon: Chapman, Fletcher, Gwilt, Cooney, Giles
Fremantle: McPharlin, Crowley, Pav (hopefully not!)
Geelong: McIntosh, Enright, Stevie J (hopefully not!)
Gold Coast: Broughton
GWS: Addison
Hawthorn: Hale, Lake
Melbourne: Cross, Pedersen, Jamar
North: Petrie, Waite, Firrito, McMahon
Port: Cornes
Richmond: Newman
St Kilda: Fisher
Sydney: Goodes
West Coast: Waters
Western Bulldogs: Boyd
With Libba going down Boyd will go back to 30 odd disposal games, playing that in and under role again. Looked like the Boyd of old in the NAB Cup.

I'm thanking the gods that he didn't retire last year.

I really hope its not Dane Swan

Fisher is fortunately our only real veteran in danger (Adam Schneider is only taking up a rookie spot and this is his last year anyway) but showed enough good form in his last few games last year that he may still be a very good player for us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We had our share last year in Glass and Cox, but this year I think Pavlich could slow down similar to what happened with Jonathon Brown last year. Other favourites would be Fletcher and Harvey. Fletcher was showing signs last year, Harvey wasn't but you'd think once he starts slowing down it will happen quickly due to the nature of his game.
Boomer will play for another 5 years

Judd, is only 1 soft tissue injury away from being finished
Sandilands, can just see his impact on the game quickly diminishing as he gets even slower around the ground.
Fletcher, holding up a spot on a list to play 7 games is selfish

Tough on Goodes last year. Had a 30 goal season. Certainly better than Sam Reid.

I think if he drops more this year he'll play as a sub most games.

For what it's worth I thought Goodes was one of four Swans that could walk off the ground with his head held high after the Grand Final. He won't be a key player in any more but will always be good enough to take a worthy opponent.

Hale and Lake are interesting ones for Hawthorn. I think there is a bit of list management going on. Both won't play the whole season but both have very good finals records. There's natural replacements in the team in terms of Ceglar and Frawley. It allows the club to have some nice overlap in terms of developing or integrating newer players while still having the experience around the place.

Judd, is only 1 soft tissue injury away from being finished
Sandilands, can just see his impact on the game quickly diminishing as he gets even slower around the ground.
Fletcher, holding up a spot on a list to play 7 games is selfish
I agree that if Fletcher was on say 370 games he would have retired and he is going for 400, but I don't think it's selfish like you say. Everyone at Essendon and their fans want to see him play 400, he very well may be doing it for them as well. If there was someone at my club in his position I probably would want them to do the same. After him and Boomer (who people have named despite him playing great the last couple of years) it is likely with the physical demands of the modern game it may never happen again.

I reckon Enright may be one who falls away quickly. If it happens it'd be a shame as he has been so good for so long. By far the best small/medium defender of this generation. Excellent defensively, good rebounder and one of the best players by hand I have seen.

Others who I expect are Mcpharlin, Jamar, Thompson and Newman. Newman particularly, I have no idea why he is playing this year. If the tigers improve then he doesn't make the team and if they don't he will pointlessly play half a season.

Expect Judd and Swan to bounce back. Not to their best but to a very good level.

If Butler has a s**t season then people will be calling his head. How quickly they'll forget that he actually had a great season in 2014.

If Butler has a s**t season then people will be calling his head. How quickly they'll forget that he actually had a great season in 2014.
Always liked Butler. Thought his 2013 was average and should have retired but his 2014 was very good.

I have no problems with Fletcher playing on, been a marvel for the game, and I do believe if he gets the 400 game milestone it should be celebrated... Ditto Boomer Harvey, I honestly doubt we will ever see 2 400 game players again celebrate their milestone in the same season. I salute both of them for playing constantly at a high level for so long..

Think chappy and fletcher will struggle to be best 22 this year. Winderlich looks done and dusted due to injury as well

Have a sneaking suspicion that Lake might carry this tag this year, thought he slowed down a lot last year when he managed to get onto the park, might be masked by having Frawley and Gibson as your number two and three defenders so they can swap around with relative ease.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back