Which team out of Adelaide, North and Hawthorn has the better youth? Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Are you for real or just one of those biased buffoons?

He’s not an a-grader yet. Unless you’re ranking him up there with Serong, Butters, Rozee, Peteacca etc

And I just looked.. he has had two good games in a row. The first three were underwhelming.

No one is arguing his talent but to suggest he’s an a-grader now is an embarassingly biased perspective from a pom-pom waving fan with little to no objectivity when it comes to football.

Tom Powell is having a better season than Soligo in every measurable way. Would you consider Tom Powell to be an a-grader?

Nothing I said was wrong, go away and stop embarrassing yourself.

If you’re going to quote reasonable and measured statements of others try and not blow your load after two games.
The post I’m referring to says they wouldn’t see him as a likely A grader (ie he doesn’t have the potential and probably won’t get there). So I’m asking has the view on his likelihood changed?

Is it that difficult to understand?

He’s getting selected because the only player that can replace him from the VFL is cooper Stephens, who will be delisted at the end of the season.

Newcombe
Worpel
Nash
Mackenzie
Hustwaite
Ward

Is currently the worst midfield in the afl by a long way. All slow with poor disposal. Desperately need Will Day back.
Newcombe doesn't strike me as slow quite the contrary in fact.

He’s getting selected because the only player that can replace him from the VFL is cooper Stephens, who will be delisted at the end of the season.

Newcombe
Worpel
Nash
Mackenzie
Hustwaite
Ward

Is currently the worst midfield in the afl by a long way. All slow with poor disposal. Desperately need Will Day back.
SYL just had a fit.

The post I’m referring to says they wouldn’t see him as a likely A grader (ie he doesn’t have the potential and probably won’t get there). So I’m asking has the view on his likelihood changed?

Is it that difficult to understand?
Kane Cornes and Gerard Healy seem to be talking up Soligo. Cornes in particular seems to think he could be a genuine A grade talent.

SYL just had a fit.
Was never going to make it. Geelong supporters called it by his second year. No idea why the Hawks got sucked in tbh.

He's a great kid by all reports, all the intangibles...but he's a VFL standard talent and always has been.

Was never going to make it. Geelong supporters called it by his second year. No idea why the Hawks got sucked in tbh.

He's a great kid by all reports, all the intangibles...but he's a VFL standard talent and always has been.
Had to show the ignored post to even know what was being discussed, and the stupid part about it is that Stephens can’t even come in to the side if we wanted him to, because he’s been injured more than not at Box Hill, either with concussion or with a leg complaint which was either a knee or Achilles depending who you talk to.

Last edited:
Had to show the ignored post to even know what was being discussed, and the stupid part about it is that Stephens can’t even come in to the side if we wanted him to, because he’s been injured more than not at Box Hill, either with concussion or with a leg complaint which was either a knee or Achilles depending who you talk to.
Had similar issues at Geelong too, just couldn't build any continuity.

He played a half for Box Hill before last week’s competition bye and then a full game last weekend finishing with 21 touches, 6 marks and 3 tackles.

He absolutely can be selected for the AFL side this week & despite showing next to nothing when playing at Box Hill in between being injured over the past 2 seasons, he would still somehow offer more than what Connor nash has this season & Jai Newcombe has most week’s. That’s how well our midfield is travelling.

Newcombe doesn't strike me as slow quite the contrary in fact.

He’s lost a yard of pace from last season and is not nearly as explosive as he was last season. He came back this pre-season bigger and stronger than last season..the extra muscle may have slowed him down…other than a great half against Collingwood, he’s been playing at a VFL level this season.

He’s lost a yard of pace from last season and is not nearly as explosive as he was last season. He came back this pre-season bigger and stronger than last season..the extra muscle may have slowed him down…other than a great half against Collingwood, he’s been playing at a VFL level this season.

Yet worps is back to his previous evasiveness. This stuff must be very finely balanced

Yeah, it’s been the issue at Hawthorn. Not sure how many consecutive games he’s strung together since he’s come across, as he’s needed to be almost constantly managed.

Newcombe
Worpel
Nash
Mackenzie
Hustwaite
Ward

Slow with poor disposal.

Newcombe - disposal is good and bad, but he is damaging, definitely not slow, he’s an explosive and strong midfielder.

Worpel - disposal is average and he’s not slow but he isn’t super quick, he’s strong enough to burst from a pack.

Nash - disposal is poor and he isn’t slow, again not super quick, covers the ground well and is athletic.

Mackenzie - disposal is above average and capable of being at an elite level, a superb field kick, with good explosive traits, too early to tell.

Hustwaite - disposal is above average, a good user by hand and foot although is slow, the type to slow time down with quick disposal.

Ward - disposal is above average, a good user by hand and foot, he is explosive and has a burst of speed, quick in space aswell, playing out of position.

Two who aren’t listed are
Day - everyone knows he is going to be elite, he’s a well above average ball user by hand and foot, explosive speed and quick. Generally overall very good to elite player.

MacDonald - good ball use, quick, evasive and explosive albeit out of position and developing.

Our profile is not “slow” or generally “poor disposal” form is not always indictment of “talent” and writing off players and overall groups of players & talent. Is blasphemy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Slow with poor disposal.

Newcombe - disposal is good and bad, but he is damaging, definitely not slow, he’s an explosive and strong midfielder.

Worpel - disposal is average and he’s not slow but he isn’t super quick, he’s strong enough to burst from a pack.

Nash - disposal is poor and he isn’t slow, again not super quick, covers the ground well and is athletic.

Mackenzie - disposal is above average and capable of being at an elite level, a superb field kick, with good explosive traits, too early to tell.

Hustwaite - disposal is above average, a good user by hand and foot although is slow, the type to slow time down with quick disposal.

Ward - disposal is above average, a good user by hand and foot, he is explosive and has a burst of speed, quick in space aswell, playing out of position.

Two who aren’t listed are
Day - everyone knows he is going to be elite, he’s a well above average ball user by hand and foot, explosive speed and quick. Generally overall very good to elite player.

MacDonald - good ball use, quick, evasive and explosive albeit out of position and developing.

Our profile is not “slow” or generally “poor disposal” form is not always indictment of “talent” and writing off players and overall groups of players & talent. Is blasphemy.
Ward and Newcombe are not quick at all. Ward's speed is average at best.
Newcombe is good for 5m burst but anything longer and he gets caught.

Mackenzie has potential but seems to lack a bit of confidence.
Day is the best player at Hawthorn by a mile.

Stephens played 20 games in the VFL in 2023, and has played 2 of 3 games in 2024.
So, again, you don't let the facts get in the way of one of your stories, as he hasn't been 'injured more than not at Box Hill'.

Stephens played 20 games in the VFL in 2023, and has played 2 of 3 games in 2024.
So, again, you don't let the facts get in the way of one of your stories, as he hasn't been 'injured more than not at Box Hill'.
I’m talking about this year. Barely trained in the main sessions most of the summer. Had a limited preseason and an unreported injury for a period of weeks.

Nice try at a gotcha though.

Ward and Newcombe are not quick at all. Ward's speed is average at best.
Newcombe is good for 5m burst but anything longer and he gets caught.

Mackenzie has potential but seems to lack a bit of confidence.
Day is the best player at Hawthorn by a mile.
Day and Newcombe have shown enough to be elite mids. Newk is just going through some bad form.

Really need one of Ward, McKenzie and McDonald to become an A grader. Confident one of them will make the jump in the next 2-3 years.

Day and Newcombe have shown enough to be elite mids. Newk is just going through some bad form.

Really need one of Ward, McKenzie and McDonald to become an A grader. Confident one of them will make the jump in the next 2-3 years.
I think Mackenzie will.

I think Mackenzie will.
Same. He's showed enough glimpses that he can be special. Just needs two more preseasons to build the body and tank.

Weddle and Watson have shown that they have it too. Certain players you can tell will be special.

Ward has a high floor, he'll be a B+ player at worst. Not sure if he can be an elite mid yet.

Definitely need more high end quality though. No doubt.

I’m talking about this year. Barely trained in the main sessions most of the summer. Had a limited preseason and an unreported injury for a period of weeks.

Nice try at a gotcha though.
Did you not say 'he's been injured more than not at Box Hill'?
Well, I just pointed out he played 20 games last year at Box Hill, and he has played 2 of 3 games in 2024.
Hustwaite was preferred over him late last season. It's not looking good for him at all.

They might not be on the list yet.

Realistically you will add probably the highest pick of your rebuild to date at the end of the year.

It's likely one of Smillie, O'Sullivan or Smith is probably at Hawthorn at the end of the year.

Last edited:
They might not be on the list yet.

Realistically you will add probably the highest pick of your rebuild to date at the end of the year.

It's like one of Smillie, O'Sullivan or Smith is probably at Hawthorn at the end of the year.
I think Smillie would suit us best. I'm not totally convinced with Nash, despite his year last yr.

Would help if B.Smith chose us, with speed around the ball.

If we don't get Baz, O'Sullivan would be the best fit. Realistically we need 4 elite mids, with 2-3 B graders who can run through.

I think Smillie would suit us best. I'm not totally convinced with Nash, despite his year last yr.

Would help if B.Smith chose us, with speed around the ball.

If we don't get Baz, O'Sullivan would be the best fit. Realistically we need 4 elite mids, with 2-3 B graders who can run through.

I daresay you will need pick #1 to get him.

He will go pick #1 on potential alone, similar to Reid last year (who wasn't the best performed u/18 player in 2023)

The hype will build with the general public when more vision emerges of a guy who is a similar size to Cripps/Green but moves like Bont.

I daresay you will need pick #1 to get him.

He will go pick #1 on potential alone, similar to Reid last year (who wasn't the best performed u/18 player in 2023)

The hype will build with the general public when more vision emerges of a guy who is a similar size to Cripps/Green but moves like Bont.
You think North will pick another mid? - Wardlaw, LDU, Simpkin, McKercher, Powell, Phillips, Lazzaro. That's a lot of investment into one part of the ground.

He's definitely on the top of every clubs ranking. No question.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back