Which teams Overachieved?

Remove this Banner Ad

PowerfulPies2023

Club Legend
Oct 5, 2023
AFL Club
Collingwood
I think the '' Baby Bombers '' overachieved to some degree in 1993. No finals the year before, somewhat unexpected. That being said they were on fire in that Fosters Cup beating the reigning premiers West Coast to get to the Granny in what was a sign of things to come. That game was pretty serious on the field and played at a high intensity. The Eagles wanted to win. So did the Bombers. The Dons would get them a further two times that year and played them very well in a shootout at Subi when the Eagles unveiled their premiership flag in their season opener. Paul Salmons '' One Goal wonder '' kick started Sheedy's jacket waving exploits and Salmon and the Dons would repeat it in 94 in the first home and away game of the season. Only dawned on me until now that in 93 WCE played round 1 at home as the reigning premiers against Essendon. Won the game, Bombers won the flag. 1994 Essendon played West Coast at home as the reigning premiers, won the game. Eagles won the flag. Essendon fresh off that famous, agonising 2 point defeat to the Blues in the qualifying final bounced back with a vengeance knocking out the Champions by 32 points in a semi final. West Coast had no answer for a slick, well oiled, frenetic Essendon freight train. That there alone is a pretty big and bold statement. Down 7 goals at half time in a prelim to a Crows side boasting the Likes of Modra, McDermott, McGuiness, Smart, Rehn, Hart, Anderson, Bickley, Riccuito, Tregenza, Jarman, Hodges etc. Well enough said. They came back and won where as most would have got swept aside. Beating the Blues in a rematch and beating them convincingly is the Trifecta. I don't need to mention the names that that team Donned. But I will because they're that good. Silvagni, Kernahan, Bradley, Brown, Madden, Christou, Dean, Diesel, McKay, Alvin, Sexton. So 3 huge, huge wins in a row when it mattered most against top quality opposition. The best in the finals.

During the home and away season they beat West Coast as mentioned and lost narrowly. Drew with 2nd placed Carlton and beat them in the return fixture. Won and lost vs the Cats in what provided us that epic, epic game where Salmon bagged 10 and Ablett kicked 14 in a losing side. Beat The Hawks, Fitzroy in a Friday night classic where Timmy Watson put his class on display and smacked the Adelaide Crows. The announcement of James Hird at the SCG as the Dons kicked 28.13 to 14.11, Jimmy Hird bagging 6.

Overachieved perhaps in the fact most wouldn't have foreseen this coming. But on the evidence above, it was thoroughly deserved. Look at the names and the coach they had at their disposal. Young blood in Mercuri, Misit, Alessio,Wanganeen, Olarenshaw, Fletcher, Symons, Paul Hills cracking the ranks with the likes of Salmon, Long, O'Donnell, Watson, Daniher, Bewick, Thompson, Harvey, Somerville, Denham. Kickett who was infamously left out on Grand Final day and there were more names to mention too. The Bombers did make the GF in 90, finals in 91 and more quality was to come later on in the decade. A near miss in prelims both by a point to Sydney and Carlton and another choke job in 95 to the Tigers. 2000, 2001 well look at what they achieved. 2000 side imo has to be the greatest of all time.

I couldn't help myself writing about this great club and the great accolades they achieved during this time and looking back on it it does deserve a lot of respect. The question still stands though. Which sides to you believe overachieved even to some degree?

Darren Bewick - 8 goals at Subi vs Sumich's 7.9, Round 1, 1993. The same day Modra kicked 10 at The G vs Richmond and announced himself to the football world.

Great, great times.

North Melbourne 2014 - Levi Greenwood was their 2nd best mid. Sam Gibson and Shaun Atley made their B&F top 10. Would include
2015 but adding Higgins and Waite made them a better side.
Port Adelaide 2014 - had no business starting 10-1 and coming within 3 points of a GF with their list. Their list improved over the next two years and they went backwards.
Collingwood 2020 - managed to win an away final with a forward line that couldn't score and numerous off-field dramas
Hawthorn 2018 - just remember it being one of the slowest teams I've ever seen. Made top four still, somehow.
West Coast 2011 - found 17 H&A wins after being wooden spooners the year before

North Melbourne 2014 - Levi Greenwood was their 2nd best mid. Sam Gibson and Shaun Atley made their B&F top 10. Would include
Port Adelaide 2014 - had no business starting 10-1 and coming within 3 points of a GF with their list. Their list improved over the next two years and they went backwards.
Collingwood 2020 - managed to win an away final with a forward line that couldn't score and numerous off-field dramas
Hawthorn 2018 - just remember it being one of the slowest teams I've ever seen. Made top four still, somehow.

We had one hell of a draw that year from memory. We had no right being top 4.

2007, 2021 and 2023 more so. Their 2014 team were pretty good, inaccuracy in that prelim cost them the flag in the end.

Last edited:
Good post!

I forgot Port started so well. Strange team. They really dropped off at one stage because they didn't make the top 4, yet as mentioned got to the Prelim. Blew Richmond out of the park with a 9 goal first quarter but Freo really should have put them away in the semis.

Blew chances. Again.

Port are a team who really drop off after going well.

2005 - Out in the semis but that season was dreadful as reigning champs. Beat a very ordinary North Team in the first week of the finals. I think Tredrea booted 8. Maybe Sav Rocca got 7 for North.

2015 - No finals after making the Prelims and coming within a kick of being in The Big One.

2018 - No finals after losing after the siren, in extra time in 2017. Shuey lol. I couldn't help but laugh. But I shouldn't because we got our dose a year later.

2022 No finals either in 2022. Prelims in 2020 and 2021

2024 - Remains to be seen. I expect them to do well. But I expected it in all the other years. THIS time. They should.

Last edited:
Port are a team who really drop off after going well.

2005 - Out in the semis but that season was dreadful as reigning champs. Beat a very ordinary North Team in the first week of the finals. I think Tredrea booted 8. Maybe Sav Rocca got 7 for North.

2015 - No finals after making the Prelims and coming within a kick of being in The Big One.

2018 - No finals after losing after the siren, in extra time in 2017. Shuey lol. I couldn't help but laugh. But I shouldn't because we got our dose a year later.

2021 - No finals again after making The Prelims and losing by only a goal to eventual Champions Richmond. No finals either in 2022.

2024 - Remains to be seen. I expect them to do well. But I expected it in all the other years. THIS time. They should.
2005 is more understandable, because they had a very aged list, similar to Geelong's fall in 2023. 2015 onwards is Hinkley's fault, they won't be in a grand final in 2024 or 2025.

I wonder if the Giants count in this discussion regarding their 2019 season.

Finished in sixth place with a 12-10 record, beat 3 teams on the road (Dogs, Lions, Pies) to make the GF.

They weren't really the second best team that year to me, the Pies and Lions had awful finals campaigns and got knocked out.

The Giants in 2016 & 2023 seemed better teams but never made it to the last day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think 2018 would be a better example. We won two finals against uninspiring teams before getting thoroughly exposed against West Coast.

In 2021 were clearly the best team all year.
Yep.

No one saw this coming pre-season but once 2021 kicked off you guys hit the ground running. Won a bunch of games undefeated and just played superb footy. When you got the Dogs underlights on that Friday Night I could see the doggies had no airiel game. Dominated from the get go and crucified them in a top of the table clash that didn't show it. The Dees dominated. You did The Lions the next week or so after being down at half time or whatever, you looked like Champions. Gawn after the siren at The Cattery and in The Finals, Forrrrgeeeed about it.

Worthy Winners x 10

Fritsch 6 goals in a Granny - Speeeccial.

Carlton, 2023.

Dissentgate against GWS early in the season.

Got taken too lightly by Port when they were resting players in preparation for their top of the table clash against Collingwood the following week.

Got Collingwood in a dead rubber once they had top 2 sewn up with 5 rounds to go.

Petracca goal that wasn't paid.

Just a mid table team who will be leapfrogged by a number of teams in 2024.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back