Discussion White jumpers are not only answer to jumper clashes.

Is the white jumper policy the solution to jumper clashes?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 11, 2011
Waverley Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill (VFL)
I was reading a thread on another board about the Brisbane Lions clash jumper. One of the people who responded said this "That design that gets mocked a gazillion times on the footy jumpers board would be perfect for our third jumper.

However last year I was talking to a Lions official, just saying "I know what the home jumper and away jumper will look like next year, but I wonder what the clash will look like, should go for the Bears jumper of the 80's but with a Lion instead of the BB", he said that the club wanted to use that design but were blocked by the AFL because "every clash jumper had to be 60% white". I told him about Richmond and Essendon and he said that's what he got told by the AFL. He even showed me a prototype jumper of this proposed clash jumper design. I wasn't allowed to take a photo of it though." This comment was from 2015.

If this conversation is true, then the AFL has increase the percentage of white in the last two years to 70%, which was the number in the Hawthorn Clash Jumper Contest earlier this year. But when you think about the rule, what club's clash jumper would fit into these rules? It is the same answer to the question which club's president is so stubborn in regards to clash jumpers and his club? Collingwood. That white jumper ruling would fit right in with the Magpies traditional white with black stripes jumper. Was the rule written by Collingwood or was it made to suit the Collingwood clash jumper?

As was said in the above comment, what about Richmond and Essendon? But haven't they shown that white isn't always the answer to jumper clashes. Should that fact that the clash jumper of a club whose normal jumper does clash with another clubs normal jumper does not clash with it be the only thing that we should be worried about. Why should the clash jumpers have to fit another rule when we are trying to solve the clash problem.

I think everyone generally agrees that clubs with yellow in their palette shouldn't be forced to have a white clash if they want a yellow one.
Adelaide and Richmond's yellow jumpers are amazing and the yellow jumpers we've worn (30-year and Indigenous) are much better than any white jumper we could wear.

Not sure why it's so hard for the afl to allow clubs to create clash jumpers using the own clubs colours. Seems like they want to go down the path of the NFL where one team is in white and every other bloody American sport while we are at it too. Don't think it looked that bad when freo wore purple, Carlton in baby blue, the runners in Orange and the umps in slime green

I agree completely... I'm still confused why Melbourne and Western Bulldogs aren't allowed their red clash guernseys from last season, but Essendon get the okay to use their one :-/ Baffled
Maybe they decided to stop using them

This seems consistent with what the eagles have been saying to their fans regarding the peril. The peril jumper looks a million times better than the all white. White had nothing to do with us.

YBM00sh.jpg

Above are the possible and actual clash jumpers of the clubs without white in their colours.
Adelaide's part-time clash jumper, Brisbane's popular with the fans Bears inspired jumper, Essendon's jumper worn by youth squads, a made up Gold Coast clash jumper, a Hawthorn heritage jumper with the current logo, a reverse if the Melbourne normal jumper with the club logo, Richmond's actual away jumper, West Coast's yellow peril. For what reason couldn't these jumpers be used as clash jumpers? They're not white.

These jumpers keep the teams in their traditional colours. With Brisbane their jumper reflects a part of the club, the Brisbane Bears. The Hawthorn and West Coast jumpers reflect former club jumpers of each of the clubs.

YBM00sh.jpg

Above are the possible and actual clash jumpers of the clubs without white in their colours.
Adelaide's part-time clash jumper, Brisbane's popular with the fans Bears inspired jumper, Essendon's jumper worn by youth squads, a made up Gold Coast clash jumper, a Hawthorn heritage jumper with the current logo, a reverse if the Melbourne normal jumper with the club logo, Richmond's actual away jumper, West Coast's yellow peril. For what reason couldn't these jumpers be used as clash jumpers? They're not white.

These jumpers keep the teams in their traditional colours. With Brisbane their jumper reflects a part of the club, the Brisbane Bears. The Hawthorn and West Coast jumpers reflect former club jumpers of each of the clubs.
Could we get rid of the white shorts?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

YBM00sh.jpg

Not sure about the Melbourne one, as it is still fairly dark, if you were to use the red from their old alternate jumper it would probably be better.

Honestly, there needs to be some common sense from the AFL, if the colours don't clash, then why must a white away jumper be worn??

I believe give each team their own jumper and a clash jumper (not necessarily white) and the home team wears their traditional strip, whilst the away team wears the jumper that clashes the least (which 95% of time most dont).

I remember Fremantle when they made the Grand Final, the biggest day of our clubs history, after rebranding our club with the logo, image, jumper, etc we had to wear white. Against the Hawks, our purple would've been acceptable, but it wasn't to be, the Freo board wasn't happy but weren't really prepared to question the AFL at the time (only a few weeks earlier they changed the venue for the Freo vs Cats game), but i think its an important step.

It's not hard to look at the 2 jumpers of a team playing and make a sensible call, Its a shame there has to be a blanket rule and every team stuck with freaking white.

Honestly, there needs to be some common sense from the AFL, if the colours don't clash, then why must a white away jumper be worn??

I believe give each team their own jumper and a clash jumper (not necessarily white) and the home team wears their traditional strip, whilst the away team wears the jumper that clashes the least (which 95% of time most dont).

I remember Fremantle when they made the Grand Final, the biggest day of our clubs history, after rebranding our club with the logo, image, jumper, etc we had to wear white. Against the Hawks, our purple would've been acceptable, but it wasn't to be, the Freo board wasn't happy but weren't really prepared to question the AFL at the time (only a few weeks earlier they changed the venue for the Freo vs Cats game), but i think its an important step.

It's not hard to look at the 2 jumpers of a team playing and make a sensible call, Its a shame there has to be a blanket rule and every team stuck with freaking white.
Freo were asked to wear the white shorts, but don't actually wear the purple top with white shorts, so wore their whole white kit, it wasn't the AFL that instructed that one.

Or, at least that's what's been rumoured around here, and sounds pretty accurate.

Fremantle were told to wear white shorts and had the choice of the purple or white jumper. They chose the white.

edit: NM MIMPchell beat me to it.

To be honest I'm surprised that we're still anchored to white/club colours when it comes to secondary kits.

West Coast almost got there last decade. I'd love to see a club go beyond the Ochre and pick a colour that's completely removed from their traditional palate.
Like teal. ;) :D

We will get past it when the AFL sees sense and allows for clash jumpers to not have follow the 70% white rule. By the survey results we do have someone how is on the AFLs side.

"Possibly because some of them clash with the teams they clash (read "clash") with". What everyone wants is each team to wear a jumper that doesn't look same as another club's jumper when they play them. We can get all scientific about it, but the simple thing is do they clash or not. If they do, then create a jumper that doesn't. No need for any 70% white rule. If Essendon and Richmond can have a jumper without white on it be a clash jumper then the other six teams that don't have white as a club colour should be able to as well.

I agree completely... I'm still confused why Melbourne and Western Bulldogs aren't allowed their red clash guernseys from last season, but Essendon get the okay to use their one :-/ Baffled

We no longer use the Red clash jumper for the following reasons:
a) Its ugly
b) We've never won a match in it
c) Its cursed
d) Our blue doesn't really clash that often with other clubs and if it does our white jumper actually looks ok
e) Its ******* ugly

Back