Who are the "un-booable" characters of the AFL?

Remove this Banner Ad

I respect your measured post, but it's not 'nonsense' to call the booing racist. Look at the response on BF to his dance in indigenous round. Predictably he is being damned by the vast majority. He is hated because he is vocal about the racism of Australia's colonial past, in a way other aboriginal footballers aren't. He is hated for being a bit too proud of his heritage and 'aggressively' showing it. He had the 'audacity' to call out a teenager for calling him an ape. That is why he hated. It has nothing to do with free kicks. How else do you explain a man who has been brilliant on field and a role model off it, being booed every time he sets foot in Melbourne.

It is shameful.

Sorry, but it nonsense to assume the crowd share an identical reason for booing Goodes, let alone to judge all booing hawthorn supporters as racist. There is plenty of evidence that suggest Hawthorn fans have long disliked Goodes - and prior to the Collingwood match where he called out a 13 year old girl. Other players that transgress hawthorn players cop the same treatment from hawthorn fans. The incident last night does not change much at all - perhaps the carlton supporters weren't particularly pleased with Goodes failing to dismiss the view that Hawthorn fans that booed were racist. Perhaps not, but again it would be totally unfair to label all carlton fans as racist...

Of course there are those that boo Goodes due to his approach to putting the spotlight on the causes he supports. Is it unacceptable to be both supportive of indigenous causes and critical of Adam Goodes?

There are also those that are simply jeer Goodes due to his race - and I agree that it is shameful, but I would expect this to be the minority considering other indigenous players are not given the same treatment. There is little evidence to suggest otherwise, and it is downright offensive label anyone booing Goodes as racist.

Gary Ablett? Really have nothing but respect for him, love the way how he goes about it, does get the odd free kick but that's part of it.

I remember North fans booing Ablett relentlessly when he tore them a new one in a game at Etihad a couple of years ago, like most great players Ablett gets booed just because he is so damn good and the main threat to opposition sides. He also gets well protected by the umpires which may also put people offside but that's not his fault.

I've never heard Ablett ever complain about it though, he just gets on with the job and ignores it, if anything it just makes him play better.

This isn't racism though.

Let's say there is a percentage of people who think Goodes has been a flog in the way he has acted over various race-related issues
That doesn't mean people think badly of him because of his race. It's about him as a person (or the public persona)

If you were at a party and you were accosted by a militant, man-hating feminazi who got in your face and spoke some bullshit and you told her rack off, that wouldn't make you a misogynist, chauvinist pig.
Interesting that you introduce a clichéd stereotype - this mythical 'militant, man-hating feminazi' - into the discussion. It suggests a few issues about uppity blacks/women etc who should know their place. Hmm

You are 100% right. The pre-meditated booing we see today just did not go on back in the 70's & 80's. It seems now days, large groups of fans go to the footy today with an agenda. There was hatred for the opposition back then, but nothing like the aggressive and incessant stuff that appears from the opening bounce as we see so regularly today. Eg: Leigh Matthews did some awful damage to a few players and attracted boos and heckled during the game involved, but by the time the next game came along we had moved on.

Bobby Skilton was universally loved. Incredibly courageous and copped a lot of attention. But at times, Skilts did milk the odd free kick, but more so by throwing the ball out in front and waiting for someone to grab his jumper. Daryl Baldock did it and so did Kevin Bartlett. It was probably Bartlett who took it to an art form and eventually the rules were changed. Bartlett attracted heckles about his aversion to handball, his hair, age, bouncing the ball to milk a holding the man, etc. But there was nothing like the mass booing from the start of a game we see at Sydney games for Goodesy.

It is probably a sign of the times and an extension of social media where undisciplined & boorish behaviour has flourished.
Err - I can recall opposition fans getting stuck into Jimmy Krakouer for pretty much the same reasons. He didn't take it and gave it back - and was a gun. And the racist comments were visceral and vicious. Remember calling a Melbourne fan out in 1987 finals about it - why the hatred ? - and , after the usual stuff ( cheat, sniper, diving etc ) he said that he didn't mind Phil because he wasn't a 'loudmouth' and took all the abuse 'in the right spirit'. When questioned " would you cop it ? " he just looked puzzled and confused. No empathy.

Interesting that you introduce a clichéd stereotype - this mythical 'militant, man-hating feminazi' - into the discussion. It suggests a few issues about uppity blacks/women etc who should know their place. Hmm
Are you f**kin kidding me? That was precisely why I used that cliche as my example. :rolleyes:

Why are people so stupid?

By the way, the 'militant, man-hating feminazi' is not a mythical person.
I've met a few women like that. They're out there!

Last edited:
This isn't racism though.

Let's say there is a percentage of people who think Goodes has been a flog in the way he has acted over various race-related issues
That doesn't mean people think badly of him because of his race. It's about him as a person (or the public persona)

If you were at a party and you were accosted by a militant, man-hating feminazi who got in your face and spoke some bullshit and you told her rack off, that wouldn't make you a misogynist, chauvinist pig.
The issue, perhaps unanswerable is, how much does his race contribute to people seeing him as a flog? Would the people booing because they think he is a flog have thought him a big enough flog to be worth booing if he behaved the same way, but was white? Would even those booing know?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah that's the prejudice talking.

If you took Eddies blinkers off and got to know the work he does behind the scenes, you may realise why he was chosen for AOTY.
You don't know me, or how I think. So that's not a statement you can make, cheers

Last edited:
I doubt everyone booes Goodes for the same reason. Players such as Thomas, Monfries and Ballantyne could be said to be 'soft' and seek frees more than someone like Goodes but they don't get roundly booed. It's clearly selective.
Anyone who thinks Thomas, Monfries and Ballantyne are soft footballers might need a visit with the eye doctor.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back