• Duggan

Votes: 11 3.1%
  • Lamb

Votes: 13 3.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

So it looks like if nothing changes it will be out of wright and Laverade and lever, i dont know who i would want
In order of preference:
1. Lever
2. Wright
3. Laverde

"A limited edition Rod Laver sports drink" would be barley sugar water plus all the goodness of Bonox. Collect 3 bottle tops for a chance to win a pair of autographed Dunlop Volleys plus a photo of Rocket Rod with The Queen.

They will have a Draft Tracker that is updated and I say try and get the SEN live radio. They do a fantastic job on there Draft Coverage
Wonderful, TD, thanks a lot! Would have loved to have been able to watch it but that was always going to be stretch. The radio coverage will be good enough!

Impressed with your commitment there. To hell with whatever exotic city you happen to be visiting, just need to know who the Pies have picked up in the draft. I like it.
Yeah, I've seen Rome before and it isn't really that exotic anyway. Might pick up a pizza and a six pack of Peroni's and sit down and listen to the draft from the other side of the planet. Better than that silly colloseum thingo and that bloody wishing fountain.

Wright - most upside of any player in this draft. It would be a bargain to get the player nominally rated as the Pick 1 for the majority of year.
Lever - big queries with knee but he is a total pro, has been diligent in his rehab, a great leader and would play Maxwell role.
LaVerde - probably the rawest player of 3 but would be another great selection.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"A limited edition Rod Laver sports drink" would be barley sugar water plus all the goodness of Bonox. Collect 3 bottle tops for a chance to win a pair of autographed Dunlop Volleys plus a photo of Rocket Rod with The Queen.

Bonox! Too funny. And Dunlop Volleys. Having a few childhood flashbacks right there.

Wonderful, TD, thanks a lot! Would have loved to have been able to watch it but that was always going to be stretch. The radio coverage will be good enough!

Yeah, I've seen Rome before and it isn't really that exotic anyway. Might pick up a pizza and a six pack of Peroni's and sit down and listen to the draft from the other side of the planet. Better than that silly colloseum thingo and that bloody wishing fountain.

Good for you Ricky! Sistine Chapel, Colisseum, Pantheon, priceless artefacts ... meh. But this is the DRAFT we're talking about. Collingwood's entire mid to long term future is at stake here. I get you.

But hey, while you're in that part of the world, could you pop over to Florence with a tape measure and just check how long Michelangelo's David's neck is? It might help us resolve a few issues that have cropped up here recently,

Thanks mate. Side by Side.

As long as SEN stays up as I heard reports on Draft Night that you can't connect or SEN Drops out

As for the rest. I'm one of those who wants the most versatile player possible. In which case I'm a bit torn between Laverde and Langford. Langford intrigues me. He is clearly a smokey as we don't even have him on our poll and yet it's rumoured the Club are keen on him. This is the way I see him from the different information available:

Pros:

A year younger with more scope, extremely versatile, elite marking and scoreboard impact for a non forward, good line breaking, good tackling, good disposal efficiency, good leadership, projects like Bontempelli but has yet to demonstrate an inside game. 190 cm but light frame with hopefully room to add size and strength, is said to have stitched up both Laverde and Lamb in School and TAC competition one on one, has had two 5 goal games as a non forward.

Cons:

Yet to demonstrate an inside game and I don't want to spend pick 5 on a talented flanker no matter how good dreams of him being the next Fyfe would depend on his being able to take this step, one of the astute phantom drafters has noted he has a very long neck, suggesting that hhis height is actually not a 'true' 190 cm and hell fill out and develop as a smaller type rather than a Bontempelli.

I would be very keen to take either Langford or Laverde as a great point of difference to our list - tall, agile, dangerous and efficient utilities. Our list lacks midfield height and line breaking ability. These two seem to provide both, as well as a much needed ability to push forward and provide another marking target in the forward 50. I would ideally prefer the one with the greater likelihood of developing an inside game. Would be interested in people's thoughts on this, particularly if you have some more inside knowledge of either boy or have seen them play.

"If" we were keen on Langford, we should have traded 5 down to 8 and 29 off GC.
Even WC's picks 11 and 32 would still have gotten us Langford with another valuable pick.

"If" we were keen on Langford, we should have traded 5 down to 8 and 29 off GC.
Even WC's picks 11 and 32 would still have gotten us Langford with another valuable pick.
How could you possibly know any of this?

I remember last year when it came out that we might have been into Bontempelli at #6, there were a bunch of armchair heroes saying that they'd be furious if we got him at #6 considering that he'd DEFINITELY be there at #10. Cut to him actually going at #4 in the ND and well... Don't believe everything you read in the phantom drafts.

If Collingwood happened to actually rate Langford as the best on the board at #5, it would require tremendous confidence in knowing every other team's rankings that none of them would draft him at the same pick you were prepared to use on him.

Why would Hine trade down and risk not getting the best player on the board (in his opinion) based off guesswork that maybe other teams don't rate him so highly?

How could you possibly know any of this?

I remember last year when it came out that we might have been into Bontempelli at #6, there were a bunch of armchair heroes saying that they'd be furious if we got him at #6 considering that he'd DEFINITELY be there at #10. Cut to him actually going at #4 in the ND and well... Don't believe everything you read in the phantom drafts.

If Collingwood happened to actually rate Langford as the best on the board at #5, it would require tremendous confidence in knowing every other team's rankings that none of them would draft him at the same pick you were prepared to use on him.

Why would Hine trade down and risk not getting the best player on the board (in his opinion) based off guesswork that maybe other teams don't rate him so highly?
There's a good chance the answer is yes. Hine has form in this regard.

In 05 he picked Thomas ahead of Pendles because he knew Thomas wouldn't be there at 5, despite rating Pendles higher. He pretty much knew nobody rated Pendles as highly as he did.
In 08 he picked Sidebottom ahead of Beams because he felt that Dayne would likely last till 30.

There are a two reasons we would have kept 5.

1- Hine has a particular player in mind he likes that he thinks won't make it to 8.

2- There is a good chance that one of the top 4 could slide to 5, like Scharenberg did last year.

My thoughts exactly Apex. I think 5 is good positioning in the event of a lucky spill. We've had 2 in 2 years now - Grundy and Scazza. Four would be better if Melbourne hadn't got their Christmas bonus. I feel like this year the top 3 are water tight and don't see us getting any love from Melbourne or st k The saints seem to have a good department now and Melbourne will have learned from years of screw ups to play it safe and pick the 'locks'. But we can still have fun over the next month watching the media pump up the tyres of the smokies and hopefully hine is making lots of noise around them. Just puts the heat on the teams above that they could be missing the next Pendles or Bontempelli. Having 5 allows us to play this game!

In 05 he picked Thomas ahead of Pendles because he knew Thomas wouldn't be there at 5, despite rating Pendles higher. He pretty much knew nobody rated Pendles as highly as he did.
In 08 he picked Sidebottom ahead of Beams because he felt that Dayne would likely last till 30.
In both cases we actually have no way of knowing for certain that Hine rated the later picked player higher - In fact, I believe that Hine has said that he rated Sidebottom a little bit higher than Beams.

Good for you Ricky! Sistine Chapel, Colisseum, Pantheon, priceless artefacts ... meh. But this is the DRAFT we're talking about. Collingwood's entire mid to long term future is at stake here. I get you.

But hey, while you're in that part of the world, could you pop over to Florence with a tape measure and just check how long Michelangelo's David's neck is? It might help us resolve a few issues that have cropped up here recently,

Thanks mate. Side by Side.
Haha fantastic. Will do mate!

In both cases we actually have no way of knowing for certain that Hine rated the later picked player higher - In fact, I believe that Hine has said that he rated Sidebottom a little bit higher than Beams.
He did. He thought Sidebottom would be gone well inside the top 10 though. But when he was available at 11, he had to make a choice - take one and hope the other would be available at 30. From memory, the point of this is that Hine had committed to taking Dayne long before the draft, knowing that he'd be available at pick 11 with 100% surety. So when the choice came about, even though we wanted Dayne and had probably told him we'd draft him if he's at our pick, we went with Sidebottom. Then it all came up Milhouse.

I subscribe to this particular story, even if it seems far fetched. I just like the idea of Hine being a genius and his drafting that year an absolute masterstroke (even if it did bite us in 2014.)

He did. He thought Sidebottom would be gone well inside the top 10 though. But when he was available at 11, he had to make a choice - take one and hope the other would be available at 30. From memory, the point of this is that Hine had committed to taking Dayne long before the draft, knowing that he'd be available at pick 11 with 100% surety. So when the choice came about, even though we wanted Dayne and had probably told him we'd draft him if he's at our pick, we went with Sidebottom. Then it all came up Milhouse.

I subscribe to this particular story, even if it seems far fetched. I just like the idea of Hine being a genius and his drafting that year an absolute masterstroke (even if it did bite us in 2014.)
Didn't really bite us in 2014.. Alls we did was trade pick 29 for pick 5, 25 and a rookie selection. After already using pick 29 to win a premiership

I was over in September- The wishing fountain is under restoration. No need to go and see it again if you already have. Enjoy the gelati! Discovered a new passion for melon flavoured.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back