Who finishes last in 2024?

Who finishes last in 2024?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Last Cats spoon was 1958, i don't think they have ever finished in the bottom four in the AFL era, the last time i can remember is finishing 9th in the 1982 season in a 12 team competition.
Geelong have never finished below 12th. Last season was literally the equal lowest they've ever finished. Crazy.

Saints are a rabble
Always have been

Sorry Gav, the Saints are more chance of finishing top 4 than winning the spoon.

They were in the top 6 all of last season with Max King injured the majority of the season. Jack steele also played injured the entire season.

Their drafting has been incredible in recent seasons as well. Owens, NWM & Phillipou are all elite young talents that will be better next season. All 3 will be A grade players for the next decade.

Ross Lyon is also a brilliant coach.

Sorry Gav, the Saints are more chance of finishing top 4 than winning the spoon.

They were in the top 6 all of last season with Max King injured the majority of the season. Jack steele also played injured the entire season.

Their drafting has been incredible in recent seasons as well. Owens, NWM & Phillipou are all elite young talents that will be better next season. All 3 will be A grade players for the next decade.

Ross Lyon is also a brilliant coach.
They won't be winning the spoon of course - comment was tongue in cheek.

Having said that, I'd be extremely surprised they finish top 4

Genuinely hard to see anyone but North or the Eagles finishing last again
I can completely and easily imagine some club (like mine) getting wracked with injuries and only winning 2 games. There are half a dozen such teams.

It's got to be North they have one of the worst defensive lineups I can think of in recent memory plus they are the youngest team going into 2024.
It's amazing given they were aware of this weakness this time last year, that they haven't taken any obvious steps to address

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How would you have addressed it?
-Match Mckay (force a trade), potentially get Essendon's first and then draft Curtain
- Trade one of the later priority picks for Dougal Howard type (who was available)

They are two options just quickly

Losing Logue was WCS unfortunately and it happened

Who knows though, if Combden stands up, it might hold up ok, he is competitive enough

-Match Mckay (force a trade), potentially get Essendon's first and then draft Curtain
- Trade one of the later priority picks for Dougal Howard type (who was available)

Who knows though, if Combden stands up, it might hold up ok, he is competitive enough

Ok, so the poster I mentioned said north hadnt taken any obvious steps to address our tall defenders

So,

1: McKay left and I think he means we haven’t addressed him leaving. If he stayed there wouldn’t be a problem.

2: I’m not sure how matching on McKay would be better than straight up getting pick 3.

3: you said draft Curtin. Not sure how an 18 year old is going to help in the half season Logue is out.

4: we drafted wil Dawson who at 200cm and the youngest player in the draft could conceivably be a better key defender than Curtin. But again this doesn’t help us in 2024.

5: this is where I’m confused with the “no obvious steps to address the backline”. We drafted who we think is the best key position, mature defender outside the AFL in Toby Pink. SANFL defender of the year. That’s “an obvious step” I would have thought.

6: we also drafted Biggie from Richmond as a KPD and are apparently trialing Comben down back. Two more obvious steps.

I’m not arguing it’s not a weakness I just

A) take issue with people saying we haven’t done anything to address it

B) have not heard anything from anyone here that is a better way of addressing the problem.

Ok, so the poster I mentioned said north hadnt taken any obvious steps to address our tall defenders

So,

1: McKay left and I think he means we haven’t addressed him leaving. If he stayed there wouldn’t be a problem.

2: I’m not sure how matching on McKay would be better than straight up getting pick 3.

3: you said draft Curtin. Not sure how an 18 year old is going to help in the half season Logue is out.

4: we drafted wil Dawson who at 200cm and the youngest player in the draft could conceivably be a better key defender than Curtin. But again this doesn’t help us in 2024.

5: this is where I’m confused with the “no obvious steps to address the backline”. We drafted who we think is the best key position, mature defender outside the AFL in Toby Pink. SANFL defender of the year. That’s “an obvious step” I would have thought.

6: we also drafted Biggie from Richmond as a KPD and are apparently trialing Comben down back. Two more obvious steps.

I’m not arguing it’s not a weakness I just

A) take issue with people saying we haven’t done anything to address it

B) have not heard anything from anyone here that is a better way of addressing the problem.
Whilst I agree there isn't much you could have done re Mckay
Its the same question (Duursma/Curtain)

In terms of Curtain being 18, at least your drafting for LT needs and he plays RD.1 (I accept Dawson on that front though)

Good on Toby Pink, glad he got a second shot, but there is a reason he was delisted by Sydney in a team bereft of KPD talent
Its a long shot to work, guys like Pink/Phillips/McDonald get picked and delisted a year later, their ceilings aint high, but again, i hope it works, its a good story

Comden has elite traits, and as I said, he has the hunger to do it, if Edwards had of had half his determination, he would have made it

I think you should have chased an AFL level KPD if you weren't going to draft one (totally fine btw), but if one of Pink/Biggie/Combden pay off, you should be fine

We wouldn't have traded our first.

he was delisted by Sydney in a team bereft of KPD talent
Bit of a stretch to say the swans’ stocks of KPDs were “bereft” in 2019, when in reality they had All-Australian Dane Rampe, All-Australian to-be Aliir Aliir, and a not too shabby youngster named Tom McCartin.
Also, until the end of 2019 they had a premiership-winning key defender in Heath Grundy at their disposal.
On reflection, it was a better collection of key defenders than those available to the hawks in 2024.

Back