Banter Who will be better in 2024? Carlton or Collingwood?

Who will be better in 2024?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Mainly here so we can enjoy the LOLs afterwards at the end of 2023, but also an interesting discussion point.

I’m in genuine two minds and can’t call it, but who do you see finishing higher in 2023?

Who is positioned better from a list/team perspective?

Let the games begin…

Mod Note: This is a thread for BANTER and giving and taking a bit of the mickey. Enter at your own risk!
However this does NOT mean name calling, personal abuse, injury trolling, swearing or gifs/memes with swear words in them. Keep it clean and above the belt.
Thank you.

But it's you blokes who refuse to acknowledge the past. If you want to go there then we s**t all over you. Now back to the present, or doesn't that count

Got to be specific.

Tha past is anything and everything put together.

So the whole 'we s**t all over you' doesn't quite pack the punch you think it does.

Got to be specific.

Tha past is anything and everything put together.

So the whole 'we s**t all over you' doesn't quite pack the punch you think it does.
According to you lot, the past doesn't count, if it did then we s**t all over you. Make up your mind, which one is it.

Sure did, you neglected to mention how bad you've been in the last 20 years. Oh, that's right, you were good 25 years ago
We're not too bad today.

I mean, we're better than Collingwood anyway.

1715518422481.png

According to you lot, the past doesn't count, if it did then we s**t all over you. Make up your mind, which one is it.
Well yeah. The past is the past.

We can take parts of it, (or even the entirety of it and focuse on certain aspects) and say we s**t all over you.

This is why I choose not to banter this way. It is never-ending and there is no winner.

But I came in to laugh off all the minnow talk. All because the club has its first couple of bleak periods in within a 20-year timeframe of their proud 160 years of existence.

A club with a presitgious standing in the game. Iconic ground. Iconic jumper. Iconic monogram. Equally most successful. Celebrated representatives both past and present. Loyal fan-base. Getting out of their debt and breaking records both on and off the field whilst attempting a pursuit for their 17th flag.

Us people can't call this team a minnow. I myself, have never called any team a minnow because we supporters are the minnows. And much of the clubs have achieved more than we can ever witness.

We can take parts of it, (or even the entirety of it and focuse on certain aspects) and say we s**t all over you.

This is why I choose not to banter this way. It is never-ending and there is no winner.

But I came in to laugh off all the minnow talk. All because the club has its first couple of bleak periods in within a 20-year timeframe of their proud 160 years of existence.

A club with a presitgious standing in the game. Iconic ground. Iconic jumper. Iconic monogram. Equally most successful. Celebrated representatives both past and present. Loyal fan-base. Getting out of their debt and breaking records both on and off the field whilst attempting a pursuit for their 17th flag.

Us people can't call this team a minnow. I myself, have never called any team a minnow because we supporters are the minnows. And much of the clubs have achieved more than we can ever witness.
Throwing pearls before ...ummmwatxhmacallem...'

oh yes Caringbushes - waste of time they are fool of bitterness and envy..

Sure did, you neglected to mention how bad you've been in the last 20 years. Oh, that's right, you were good 25 years ago
Nah why would I?

We’re actually the equal most successful team in the league.

If you know your history, you’d know that many teams have had 20, 30 or even 40 year droughts only to come back bigger and stronger.

It took you guys 2 decades to catchup. During your 32 year drought we won 7 premierships, we took advantage, you haven’t.

The competition started in 1897, that’s where is starts.

We’ve beaten you 5-1 in Grand Finals. You’re our GF bunnies.

My Collingwood supporter mates are and will always be traumatised by Carlton.

That’s why I don’t hate Collingwood as much as you hate us and Dom Sheed, you’ve been a source of pleasure.

Not to mention the most representative players in the AFL team of the century. It kills them . Grouse

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Imagine trying to use Fitzroy in an argument to try and justify one's standing in a competition ?
This is the same Fitzroy who moved from Brunswick St, to Junction oval, to whitten oval , to Princes Park , to Victoria Park , back to Princes Park and finally laid to rest at Whitten Oval ? Is this the powerhouse club who are talking about ? The same club who Carlton let hold a disco after every home game under the Robert Heatley Stand just so they could scrape together some cash to pay for next week's crepe paper banner ? Are you sure you are talking about the same Fitzroy here ? I don't ever recall them ever being referred to as a powerhouse. How old are you - 100 ?
For a crusty old Bagger you do really need to learn some history. There is more to the league than just the era you grew up in.

Fitzroy were the early on-field powerhouse, they lead the league premiership table until Collingwood surged past.

Fitzroy were the first team to claim
2 flags
3 flags
4 flags
5 flags
6 flags
7 flags

Fitzroy were the 2nd quickest team to 300 wins (behind Collingwood).

For the first 70 years of the comp, Fitzroy had more or equal flags to Carlton.

Fitzroy were the early power up til the 30s, who then fizzled and only won 1 more flag.

Then it was Melbourne that then were the dominant force winning 10 flags in 26 years to see them challenge Collingwood with the most flags.

Melbourne were the 40s to mid 60s power, who fizzled and have only won one more flag.

Carlton were the late 60s to mid 80s power. They too have who fizzled and have only won one more flag.

It is the same pattern.

And all along it was the Pies who kept keeping on, we were losing GFs to Fitzroy early, losing GFs to Melbourne in the 50s and 50s and then losing GFs to Carlton.

Carlton are old has beens still stuck in the past, that have been completely irrelevant in 21st century professional AFL era.

You just dont realise (unwilling to grasp) that once great teams / clubs fizzle if they are inept for long enough.

Last edited:
For a crusty old Bagger you do really need to learn some history. There is more to the league than just the era you grew up in.

Fitzroy were the early on-field powerhouse, they lead the league premiership table until Collingwood surged past.

2 flags
3 flags
4 flags
5 flags
6 flags
7 flags

Fitzroy were the early power up til the 30s, who then fizzled and only won 1 more flag.

Then it was Melbourne that then were the dominant force winning 10 flags in 26 years to see them challenge Collingwood with the most flags.

Melbourne were the 40s to mid 60s power, who fizzled and have only won one more flag.

Carlton were the late 60s to mid 80s power. They too have who fizzled and have only won one more flag.

It is the same pattern.

Carlton are old has beens still stuck in the past, that have been completely irrelevant in 21st century professional AFL era.

You just dont realise (unwilling to grasp) that once great teams / clubs fizzle if they are inept for long enough.
Hey nice history lesson.
Unfortunately flags didn't really transfer into clubs being powerful back in the day. You are the only person I have ever seen say that Fitzroy was a powerhouse. Even looking at their history on Wiki, it's extremely sad that you have come to that conclusion.

2 flags
3 flags
4 flags
5 flags
6 flags
7 flags

It is the same pattern.

And all along it was the Pies who kept keeping on, we were losing GFs to Fitzroy early, losing GFs to Melbourne in the 50s and 50s and then losing GFs to Carlton.

At what point did Carlton become a minnow ?
Is it the 101k members or the highest average total for MCG games this year that makes them so bad and tiny as a club ?

At what point did Carlton become a minnow ?
Is it the 101k members or the highest average total for MCG games this year that makes them so bad and tiny as a club ?

It's the vibe. If you had a negative bias for Carlton you'd be able to sense it too, but you've lost all objectivity with your blatant positive bias.

At what point did Carlton become a minnow ??
Id go with 2018 and the 5th spoon in 17 seasons, when Melbourne, Port, Sydney, Hawthorn, Fremantle and Geelong pulled bigger home crowds as the year that confirmed Carlton as being AFL irrelevant and a minnow.

Others might go earlier or when Carlton started getting financial handouts from the AFL.

It is only the big AFL clubs - Collingwood, Richmond, West Coast and Hawthorn - who remain on base rates.

Back