Preview Who will have a breakout year in 2015?

Remove this Banner Ad

I heard quite a few times about Sugar being the youngest player in the AFL by commentators... Anyway im on the Sugar train aswell he even performed in Finals so im expecting bigger things frm him aswell... And i also think Cunners will explode
Sugar's age vs Thomas' yips. Who wins next year?

Expecting Sammy Wright to keep improving next year. Aaron Black to have a better year than last, an injury free Jay Z to be more consistent and Goldy to dominate the season start to finish resulting in a B&F and AA gig.

Is Sam Wright best 22?

If so it's only just even considering his impressive end of year form.

He wouldn't want to get injured before round 1 or it could be a bloody hard spot to get back with Thommo/Hansen/Atley/JMac/Spud/LMac/Grima/Mullett/Loose and co lining up for defensive/rebounding roles.

Is Sam Wright best 22?

If so it's only just even considering his impressive end of year form.

He wouldn't want to get injured before round 1 or it could be a bloody hard spot to get back with Thommo/Hansen/Atley/JMac/Spud/LMac/Grima/Mullett/Loose and co lining up for defensive/rebounding roles.

IMO it would be a brave match committee that leaves him out for Round 1.

The confidence he would've gotten from his performances in the back end of the season could very well be the best thing that has ever happened to his career. He's found a spot in the team after being bounced around from position to position, he had all and sundry calling his mark against Essendon in the EF the turning point of the game, and then managed to back up all the hype from that performance (23d @ 86.2%) with another excellent game against Geelong. This is no longer the freakishly talented rail-thin half-forward with the Dale Thomas hair we drafted out of the Bushies. This is a man who will have the opportunity to put together a full pre-season, add some bulk, become imminently more familiar with the craft of playing off the half back flank, and he'll be doing it all off the best prolonged stretch of football in a high pressure environment that he's ever had.

It personally seems like it's all going to come together for him next year. He's not competing with Hansen, Thompson, Grima, Spud or Loose for a spot, J-Mac & Atley will spend more time in the midfield, so it's really him, McDonald and Mullett competing for spots, and he's so far ahead of Mullett on exposed form.

Grima/Firrito - Thompson - Wright
McDonald - Hansen - [Mullett/Atley/MacMillan/resting midfielder]

Good post Flawed Genius genius and you make some excellent points. It may well play out that way.

It will be interesting to see what happens but on a different note I don't think Grima is part of that backline in 2015. I know he spoils very well but for mine his days are numbered if Hansen is fit as both Wright and JMac can play tall and having Grima limits our rebounding too much.

Edit; think you changed your post to Grima/Spud and yep I agree with you

Good post Flawed Genius genius and you make some excellent points. It may well play out that way.

It will be interesting to see what happens but on a different note I don't think Grima is part of that backline in 2015. I know he spoils very well but for mine his days are numbered if Hansen is fit as both Wright and JMac can play tall and having Grima limits our rebounding too much.

Yeah I have edited my post to add Firrito to that back pocket spot with Grima. I fear Grima's days are numbered, especially when you consider the draft we just saw where we selected his replacement, his replacement's backup, and a contingency plan in case both his replacement and his replacement's backup are injured. I personally reckon it will be Grima's last year. Which sucks, but time comes for us all.

Nielson - Thompson - Wright
McDonald - Hansen - Vickers-Willis

???

Yeah I have edited my post to add Firrito to that back pocket spot with Grima. I fear Grima's days are numbered, especially when you consider the draft we just saw where we selected his replacement, his replacement's backup, and a contingency plan in case both his replacement and his replacement's backup are injured. I personally reckon it will be Grima's last year. Which sucks, but time comes for us all.

Nielson - Thompson - Wright
McDonald - Hansen - Vickers-Willis

???

Yep agree entirely on Grima and think at his best he may definitely have a role to play, but gee whiz at full strength it's a tough backline to get into. One year will see him out I think and he is a handy option whether depth or otherwise when fit.

I like that backline of the future but think it lacks run. I would consider similar with Hansen loose and bring Atley or similar back there to rebound as I think it looks a bit one paced.

What I would like to see:
Atley - break into our top bracket, mixing half back with midfield
Wright - breaks sides open with his smart defensive rebounding
Harper - break back into the team with a handful of good games
Turner - breaks a few more heads as he makes himself a fixture in the side
Daw - breaks through the 'potential' ceiling
Black - breakfasts on opposition defenders
Wood - breaks into the seniors as a mobile wingman

What I fear will happen:
Petrie - breaks someone else's foot
Levi - breaks North hearts even more by having a stellar season with the Pies
Harvey - breaks the noses of Picken and Crowley
Thomas - breaks down in tears after missing his shot for goal after the siren in the grand final
Durdin - breaks out in acne

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I haven't read much of the thread and don't know if its been said but Kayne Turner by a mile. He will start to be recognised as a freak, one-off footballer. Build him a an engine, put on a bit of size, tidy up the skills a bit, and you can play him anywhere. Will break the tackle record next year if he stays fit and starts pushing higher up the ground. If I was building a footballer from the ground up, I would teach him to play like this kid.

Ben Brown another one. Im tipping him not to lose his spot to anyone. He'll play ahead of Waite, Black, whoever. Could kick 50+ this year.

What I fear will happen:
Thomas - breaks down in tears after missing his shot for goal after the siren in the grand final

Nathan Grima - Breaks

Grima is our first choice CHB. Whenever he is fit he comes straight in, Scott has shown that over the past 5-6 seasons. From what I've heard he is having the best pre-season he has had.

The only reason he doesn't play is if Scott decides to move Thompson to CHB so that Tippett can play FB.

In no case does Lachy or Firrito play CHB. Firrito is too undersized and Hansen is best utilized as at intercept marking role.

Grima is our first choice CHB. Whenever he is fit he comes straight in, Scott has shown that over the past 5-6 seasons. From what I've heard he is having the best pre-season he has had.

The only reason he doesn't play is if Scott decides to move Thompson to CHB so that Tippett can play FB.

In no case does Lachy or Firrito play CHB. Firrito is too undersized and Hansen is best utilized as at intercept marking role.

Is he training the house down though?

What I fear will happen:
Daw may need to break out of prison first!

What do we call the opposite of a breakout year?

Whatever it is we can't afford anyone to have one.

If our good players stay up and a couple of others 'break out' then we are very good chance for top 4.

What do we call the opposite of a breakout year?

Whatever it is we can't afford anyone to have one.

If our good players stay up and a couple of others 'break out' then we are very good chance for top 4.
Whatever was Harper's year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back