Opinion Who will improve the most in 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Kerridge played the role far better than Van Berlo did in 2013 given he was actually stopping the players he was set to stop. If we decide to go with the run with role/tagger, then it's Kerridge's to lose rather than Van Berlo's imo (unless Walsh decides he'd rather use Kerridge in a different role).
Yeah completely agree that he offers more than VB in the role, but do you see Walsh taking it off VB now he is fit and if so where would you put him instead?
Kerridge is wasted in a run with role IMO, as he has the skills to allow him to be utilised elsewhere. VB on the other hand while he has a brilliant tank is purely just a run with player.

Yeah completely agree that he offers more than VB in the role, but do you see Walsh taking it off VB now he is fit and if so where would you put him instead?
Kerridge is wasted in a run with role IMO, as he has the skills to allow him to be utilised elsewhere. VB on the other hand while he has a brilliant tank is purely just a run with player.
It's a tough one but unless Van Berlo can actually shut down the player he's been set to to stop then it isn't really his role to lose imo.

If we're going to be running with a tagger then he has to negatively influence the game of the guy he's been sent to play on. Now some blamed Sando for the guys Van Berlo was on because it 'wasn't a hard tag' (so I guess the view was NVB was meant to stand next to a guy then just watch him as he gets the ball all over the field). I don't believe it was Sando's fault myself but each is their own. Van Berlo possesses a number of attributes to be a great tagger, he's got a great tank, very disciplined, decent size (so he's not exactly too short to play on someone like Pendles for example) but for whatever reason, he didn't stop the guy he was sent to anywhere near as much as we would have liked. I personally believe he needs to get more physical and attempt to get on the nerve of the guy he's tagging (or he could do so mentally by trash talking). As I've said before, it's what I believe makes Crowley such an affective tagger, he basically has the guy beat before he even goes to them now as they know they're in for a tough guy and a number of players basically give up. That being said, it's not the only way to tag, I can't really recall Shirley being that lippy/physical (correct me if I'm wrong with that) but he always got the job done.

I still think Van Berlo is going to have to fight for a role in the side, the same attributes that should make him a great tagger basically also apply to being a half back flank (could see him being the guy who helps get to other contests to give the rest of his defenders a hand). Whether he's suited to that role or not, is yet to be seen really.

As for Kerridge, he's shown some really nice signs and has the potential to play in the guts and also kick a couple of goals a game. That said, if he's not a tagger, how else does he squeeze into this midfield given the number of guys we've got in there taking big chunks of time and also those that are constantly pushing for a spot in the side or a move into the midfield (M.Crouch, Grigg, Lyon, Smith for example)? Can Kerridge do that tagging role whilst providing a bit of on offense? Because that would be the best of both worlds although you then begin to get that issue of him possibly letting his opponent off the hook a little (like Van Berlo I guess) as he tries to become active himself which may backfire. It's all a fine line.

It's a tough one but unless Van Berlo can actually shut down the player he's been set to to stop then it isn't really his role to lose imo.

If we're going to be running with a tagger then he has to negatively influence the game of the guy he's been sent to play on. Now some blamed Sando for the guys Van Berlo was on because it 'wasn't a hard tag' (so I guess the view was NVB was meant to stand next to a guy then just watch him as he gets the ball all over the field). I don't believe it was Sando's fault myself but each is their own. Van Berlo possesses a number of attributes to be a great tagger, he's got a great tank, very disciplined, decent size (so he's not exactly too short to play on someone like Pendles for example) but for whatever reason, he didn't stop the guy he was sent to anywhere near as much as we would have liked. I personally believe he needs to get more physical and attempt to get on the nerve of the guy he's tagging (or he could do so mentally by trash talking). As I've said before, it's what I believe makes Crowley such an affective tagger, he basically has the guy beat before he even goes to them now as they know they're in for a tough guy and a number of players basically give up. That being said, it's not the only way to tag, I can't really recall Shirley being that lippy/physical (correct me if I'm wrong with that) but he always got the job done.

I still think Van Berlo is going to have to fight for a role in the side, the same attributes that should make him a great tagger basically also apply to being a half back flank (could see him being the guy who helps get to other contests to give the rest of his defenders a hand). Whether he's suited to that role or not, is yet to be seen really.

As for Kerridge, he's shown some really nice signs and has the potential to play in the guts and also kick a couple of goals a game. That said, if he's not a tagger, how else does he squeeze into this midfield given the number of guys we've got in there taking big chunks of time and also those that are constantly pushing for a spot in the side or a move into the midfield (M.Crouch, Grigg, Lyon, Smith for example)? Can Kerridge do that tagging role whilst providing a bit of on offense? Because that would be the best of both worlds although you then begin to get that issue of him possibly letting his opponent off the hook a little (like Van Berlo I guess) as he tries to become active himself which may backfire. It's all a fine line.

Couldn't agree more.

VB has all the attributes to be a great tagger, but he lacks that niggle (just too nice) you need to take it to the next level like a Crowley. Kerridge could play the tagger role if Walsh is willing to not play VB because for me unless he is in that role he doesn't fit in anywhere else. Kerridge can play as a shutdown forward flanker on players like Hurn, etc. who kill teams off halfback while chipping in with a few goals.

There is definitely a lot of upside to Kerridge and like Lyons I think could have a great year.
VB on the other hand........im not so sure.

Couldn't agree more.

VB has all the attributes to be a great tagger, but he lacks that niggle (just too nice) you need to take it to the next level like a Crowley. Kerridge could play the tagger role if Walsh is willing to not play VB because for me unless he is in that role he doesn't fit in anywhere else. Kerridge can play as a shutdown forward flanker on players like Hurn, etc. who kill teams off halfback while chipping in with a few goals.

There is definitely a lot of upside to Kerridge and like Lyons I think could have a great year.
VB on the other hand........im not so sure.

I was at Metricon last year and watched VB do a job on Gabblet. If we could get VB to play the way he played that day every game he would be a top tagger. Abblet got a bit of it, but hurt factor was negligible apart from a couple of arsey goals.

I was at Metricon last year and watched VB do a job on Gabblet. If we could get VB to play the way he played that day every game he would be a top tagger. Abblet got a bit of it, but hurt factor was negligible apart from a couple of arsey goals.

It seems that supporters on this board have done this time and time again. Ive seen VB tag quality opponents and while they still got a lot of the ball, their hurt factor was next to none. Sometimes I wonder if people only look at the disposal numbers at the end of the day...

Look he's not an elite tagger, but I am one who thinks he probably deserves a little more credit than he's given/

I am a Kedge fan, but Fyfe just blew him out of the water during the year IIRR. He will need to be even fitter.

I can remember a game where the same happened to VB (after the long break), but the perpetrator has since been charged and openly confessed to a life of illicit substance abuse.

VB to tag and get it on the rebound, with Kedge to be both opportunist and defensive forward.

Last edited:
Can't see all of m crouch, Grigg and Lyons all playing in the same team because if you add them to Thommo it is just too unbalanced , too slow , too inside and not enough ability to full ground defend. Individually they could all be great players but you need to have a balanced side. Kerridge should play every week, massive error not picking him to play roos in Hobart end of year, kicks goals up forward and provides honest defensive efforts and def spread in midfield which we sorely lacked that game

Kerridge proved in 1 season that he is a better tagger than VB. The only game I remember him being beaten was against Fyfe. He was disappointing that game. Every other tagging game he looked like a seasoned tagger for someone having his first crack at it.

In saying that, VB will no doubt come back into the 22 (he's the captain) and will probably take that position back. I liked the look of Kerridge up forward and rotating through the midfield. Rotate with Grigg. Leaves no room for Lyons though.

My breakout guy for 2015 is Mitch Grigg.

It's an absolute joke that he wasn't selected more often in 2014, so with Sando gone and a coach with a penchant for lefties in, the writing is on the wall for a monster year from Mitch.

Others I think will improve greatly on their 2014 output are Brad Crouch and Matt Crouch. I also expect Kyle Cheney to do very well.

On the flip side, I think Matt Wright, Brodie Martin and Matt Jaensch will all regress, with neither of Martin or Wright to still be at the club in 2016 (Martin delisted, Wright traded).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What I liked about Kerridge as a tagger is he had a bit of a jerkiness about how he went about it too. I remember when he was on Ablett and they both ended up on the ground and as they were getting up he gave Ablett a bit of a shove back to the ground again. He rode that fine line between giving away frees and making sure his opponent knew that he was always on his tail.

What I liked about Kerridge as a tagger is he had a bit of a jerkiness about how he went about it too. I remember when he was on Ablett and they both ended up on the ground and as they were getting up he gave Ablett a bit of a shove back to the ground again. He rode that fine line between giving away frees and making sure his opponent knew that he was always on his tail.

Good post. Got in GAJs head. Had his usual amount of possessions but largely ineffective due to the job Kedge did.

Grigg and Ellis Yolmen both will have big years. Both should have played more last year and have huge upside. Looking forward to some grigg darts inside 50. Ellis Yolmen is really a swingman who id play on the wing or half fwrd, can tackle too.

Grigg and Ellis Yolmen both will have big years. Both should have played more last year and have huge upside. Looking forward to some grigg darts inside 50. Ellis Yolmen is really a swingman who id play on the wing or half fwrd, can tackle too.

Can Ellis Yolmen kick though?

CEY Can kick it long, precision passing probably not his strong point but a clearance animal.

Unfortunately for CEY's career, clearance animal is something we have well covered.

Because come the end of the day, he is not going to get a game over Matt Crouch, Lyons, Dangerfield, Bard Crouch, Kerridge etc.

So he needs another string to his bow, and no matter what he is going to develop in, he needs to be a good kick, which right now is his Achilles heel.

Unfortunately for CEY's career, clearance animal is something we have well covered.

Because come the end of the day, he is not going to get a game over Matt Crouch, Lyons, Dangerfield, Bard Crouch, Kerridge etc.

So he needs another string to his bow, and no matter what he is going to develop in, he needs to be a good kick, which right now is his Achilles heel.
He cant be any worse than sam shaw in that regard. He would be a valuable swingman much like otten but with more pace in my opinion.

He cant be any worse than sam shaw in that regard. He would be a valuable swingman much like otten but with more pace in my opinion.

Definitely not arguing that, just from what i've seen, it's not up to AFL standard though.

I am a Kedge fan, but Fyfe just blew him out of the water during the year IIRR. He will need to be even fitter.
Fyfe blew him out of the water when he went up forward, just like he does with every other tagger in the league. Kerridge was fine up until that point and played no small part in forcing that change.

Fyfe is an absolute beast overhead, especially for a midfielder. I don't hold that performance against Kerridge at all. Crowley is one of the best taggers in the league and Danger scored goals on him playing in the pocket too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back