Remove this Banner Ad

Sausages

HIGH PRIEST IN THE TEMPLE OF GG/SNSD
Feb 27, 2007
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Luton Town
Being a Queenslander born and bred, here is an excerpt from a letter I have sent the AFL Chief Executive...

"What you seem to not understand is that a manufactured team won't have any impact on the psyche of the average sports followers in the South East Queensland market. We don't grow up with AFL. In the southern/western states for example,the top private schools produce an awesome amount of quality AFL footballers - In Queensland and NSW, the top private schools produce, not rugby league players, but rugby union players. "Waddya wanna be? A Walla-Walla-by". Representative football - something the AFL cannot give. Hell, you can't even give me a State of Origin team. I can accept that AFL is our game and thus beyond green and gold representation, aside from the stop/start International Rules series (which even then has struggled for relevance), but surely, SURELY, the fact that it's almost 30 years after the formation of the Brisbane Bears and we couldn't field a starting 11 of Queenslanders, never mind a 22, of AFL standard, demonstrates how little impact your efforts have had.

Private schools, certainly in my experience attending a GPS school in Brisbane, set the tone for the public schools. I know they are playing GPS AFL now, which is good - but they are private schools whose honour rolls (go look at them sometime - Brisbane Grammar, Nudgee College, Brisbane State High School etc) are awash with Australian cricketers and Wallabies. These are constructs which have meaning, relevance, identity and above all, RESPECT. Our state's greatest rugby league player, Wally Lewis, went to my school, was an outstanding rugby union player...but chose rugby league in the 70's because Union back then was amateur and he couldn't earn a living off it. Otherwise, he would have been a Wallaby. And these schools STILL have that same mentality -despite AFL being played there, the school's sporting identity is linked to how many Test cricketers/Wallabies they produce. Not at all unlike Scotch College or Geelong Grammar - just different sporting cultures, with the Melbourne schools removing Union and adding in AFL.

Furthermore, in the rugby league and union circles, it's acknowledged that if you have terrible skills but good athleticism, you play league - only the very gifted progress far down the road with Union. And that, interestingly, is a sentiment echoed by that other great bastion of Union and League - NZ...and don't you have some far seeing plans for a footy club there? Yep, that'll work, lock it in Eddie.

You would be better off limiting the number of non-local players on the Lions/Suns books and forcing them to play sub-standard, but LOCALLY PRODUCED, talent. At least then, the sports followers could read about how our local boys are getting creamed every week. BUT THEY'RE OUR BOYS would be the cry from the locals after 20 years of no wins, 200 losses. And maybe, just maybe, the parochial community in Queensland would rally to redress the balance. And that first win would be savoured as a flag. It's the EXACT scenario which led to what is arguably Australian sports greatest domestic annual event, the Rugby League State of Origin. A select few Brisbane rugby league players and identities/administrators were sick of hearing how superior NSW players were - so we put 2 teams on the park and the rest is history. Oh, and we smashed 'em. Perhaps a lesson in passion over skill, but that's not relevant.

What has become alarmingly evident to the local Brisbane-ite, certainly the mass of seething humanity I spoke to in 20 years in the airlines, is that when we win, it's because we are "propped up". Our 3 flags aren't accepted EVEN BY THE AVERAGE SPORTS PUNTER IN QUEEN STREET, never mind the rest of the AFL community. We aren't relevant here Mr McLachlan. And nothing you do, NOTHING, changes that.

So, even when you help us, all you do is widen the gap between acceptance and antipathy. You'd be far better off removing ALL assistance and letting the people of Brisbane decide if they want an AFL club or not. Stand or die. We'd die though...you know it and I know it. And you are chained to the broadcast rights deal. So, to ensure extra money in the coffers of all clubs, ours will be left, eternally, as just an irrelevance in the sporting market. We can't live on our own and you won't let us die on our own. And do you know what the definition is, of something that is neither alive nor dead? A zombie. And zombies don't have passion....

Mr McLachlan, I implore you to don a pair of shorts and go do a pub crawl in Brisbane - perhaps then you and your executive committee might be able to make better decisions regarding expansion footy clubs, rather than listen to the accountants ejaculate over your balance sheet when the next broadcast rights deal is negotiated. You show so little concern for your product, your game of blood, mud, sweat and history, that you take cuttings and plant them wherever suits you, not where there is fertile soil. The battle you fight here is not only against rugby league but rugby union as well. And everytime the Bledisloe Cup rolls around - well, your product fades into obscurity."

Last edited by a moderator:
So after all that your only suggestion for improvement is to forcibly remove all non-Queensland players, permanently handicap the Queensland teams and relegate them to 18th on the ladder for the next 20 years.. I'm sure that'll be brilliant for growing support..

Didn't the great Lions team of the early 2000's have pretty good support? Maybe just maybe the key is producing competitive teams.

This is just an Anti-AFL rant with nothing constructive in it

So after all that your only suggestion for improvement is to forcibly remove all non-Queensland players, permanently handicap the Queensland teams and relegate them to 18th on the ladder for the next 20 years.. I'm sure that'll be brilliant for growing support..

Didn't the great Lions team of the early 2000's have pretty good support? Maybe just maybe the key is producing competitive teams.

This is just an Anti-AFL rant with nothing constructive in it

Just a few home truths to get the AFL to be realistic. Unless big clive comes in and buys the Suns it looks like the AFL will prop them up forever and fill the side with Victorians. I'd rather see a side proped up by the Tasmanian government with a good dozen Tassies on the field.

Being a Queenslander born and bred, here is an excerpt from a letter I have sent the AFL Chief Executive...

"What you seem to not understand is that a manufactured team won't have any impact on the psyche of the average sports followers in the South East Queensland market. We don't grow up with AFL. In the southern/western states for example,the top private schools produce an awesome amount of quality AFL footballers - In Queensland and NSW, the top private schools produce, not rugby league players, but rugby union players. "Waddya wanna be? A Walla-Walla-by". Representative football - something the AFL cannot give. Hell, you can't even give me a State of Origin team. I can accept that AFL is our game and thus beyond green and gold representation, aside from the stop/start International Rules series (which even then has struggled for relevance), but surely, SURELY, the fact that it's almost 30 years after the formation of the Brisbane Bears and we couldn't field a starting 11 of Queenslanders, never mind a 22, of AFL standard, demonstrates how little impact your efforts have had.

Private schools, certainly in my experience attending a GPS school in Brisbane, set the tone for the public schools. I know they are playing GPS AFL now, which is good - but they are private schools whose honour rolls (go look at them sometime - Brisbane Grammar, Nudgee College, Brisbane State High School etc) are awash with Australian cricketers and Wallabies. These are constructs which have meaning, relevance, identity and above all, RESPECT. Our state's greatest rugby league player, Wally Lewis, went to my school, was an outstanding rugby union player...but chose rugby league in the 70's because Union back then was amateur and he couldn't earn a living off it. Otherwise, he would have been a Wallaby. And these schools STILL have that same mentality -despite AFL being played there, the school's sporting identity is linked to how many Test cricketers/Wallabies they produce. Not at all unlike Scotch College or Geelong Grammar - just different sporting cultures, with the Melbourne schools removing Union and adding in AFL.

Furthermore, in the rugby league and union circles, it's acknowledged that if you have terrible skills but good athleticism, you play league - only the very gifted progress far down the road with Union. And that, interestingly, is a sentiment echoed by that other great bastion of Union and League - NZ...and don't you have some far seeing plans for a footy club there? Yep, that'll work, lock it in Eddie.

You would be better off limiting the number of non-local players on the Lions/Suns books and forcing them to play sub-standard, but LOCALLY PRODUCED, talent. At least then, the sports followers could read about how our local boys are getting creamed every week. BUT THEY'RE OUR BOYS would be the cry from the locals after 20 years of no wins, 200 losses. And maybe, just maybe, the parochial community in Queensland would rally to redress the balance. And that first win would be savoured as a flag. It's the EXACT scenario which led to what is arguably Australian sports greatest domestic annual event, the Rugby League State of Origin. A select few Brisbane rugby league players and identities/administrators were sick of hearing how superior NSW players were - so we put 2 teams on the park and the rest is history. Oh, and we smashed 'em. Perhaps a lesson in passion over skill, but that's not relevant.

What has become alarmingly evident to the local Brisbane-ite, certainly the mass of seething humanity I spoke to in 20 years in the airlines, is that when we win, it's because we are "propped up". Our 3 flags aren't accepted EVEN BY THE AVERAGE SPORTS PUNTER IN QUEEN STREET, never mind the rest of the AFL community. We aren't relevant here Mr McLachlan. And nothing you do, NOTHING, changes that.

So, even when you help us, all you do is widen the gap between acceptance and antipathy. You'd be far better off removing ALL assistance and letting the people of Brisbane decide if they want an AFL club or not. Stand or die. We'd die though...you know it and I know it. And you are chained to the broadcast rights deal. So, to ensure extra money in the coffers of all clubs, ours will be left, eternally, as just an irrelevance in the sporting market. We can't live on our own and you won't let us die on our own. And do you know what the definition is, of something that is neither alive nor dead? A zombie. And zombies don't have passion....

Mr McLachlan, I implore you to don a pair of shorts and go do a pub crawl in Brisbane - perhaps then you and your executive committee might be able to make better decisions regarding expansion footy clubs, rather than listen to the accountants ejaculate over your balance sheet when the next broadcast rights deal is negotiated. You show so little concern for your product, your game of blood, mud, sweat and history, that you take cuttings and plant them wherever suits you, not where there is fertile soil. The battle you fight here is not only against rugby league but rugby union as well. And everytime the Bledisloe Cup rolls around - well, your product fades into obscurity."
What a load of garbage.

Furthermore, in the rugby league and union circles, it's acknowledged that if you have terrible skills but good athleticism, you play league

I think you could also add: If you have zero sporting talent whatsoever, but went through puberty at age seven, you should play rugby.

If you haven't lived in QLD, let alone Brisbane, you don't understand how much truth is in that OP.

'Parochial' barely describes it.

I personally wouldn't go down the road of handicapping the QLD teams but I can see where Sausages is coming from.

A 'State of Origin' series between QLD and NSW would probably bring a heap of interest to the game, but whether or not that would translate to support for Lions/Suns is another matter. An incredible amount of Brisbanites will watch League SoO with passion and yet not give a flying * about the NRL H&A season. It is something to behold.

Expansion into non-AFL states has been a waste of money I am afraid, you can't convince me with the ratings numbers they are pulling in NSW and QLD on a secondary digital channel that it is producing much in terms of broadcasting revenue, the cost in terms of the division of revenue and the extra $20m+ per year in grants to the northern states has been money invested that hasn't returned much to date. AFL would likely have made more of a return blowing the money on the races.

I'm all for supporting clubs that are struggling or need help but we are putting clubs in markets which are not sustainable and the AFL has been bending/breaking the rules and the spirit of competition in an attempt to create sustained artificial success in order that the house of cards doesn't come crumbling down. Even the Swans, who have been in Sydney for a long time now, just wouldn't survive even a 10 year slump without the AFL going into life support mode and the draft is designed to create long slumps with the denial of talent over a prolonged period.

We have different issues in Victoria, largely we do not have clean stadiums, the AFL itself competes against clubs and the AFL forced clubs to abandon stadiums that suited their supporter base, but these issues are easy to resolve if you have time and resources, we are just spending a fortune on trying to convince people in NSW and QLD to adopt the game.

It is okay if AFL isn't played in every state, it is okay if rugby isn't either. Tasmania should never have been ignored for the sake of a non-football state or territory.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wow, that's a really powerful statement you've written there. Has words like "respect" and "exact" IN BIG CAPITAL LETTERS.

...rather than listen to the accountants ejaculate over your balance sheet...

Classy.

Hell, you can't even give me a State of Origin team.

Hell, could you come off sounding more entitled?

Perhaps Mr. McLachlan could be doing a better job regarding Queensland. Nevertheless I don't think wasting time sifting through such immature and poorly-structured letters will help him at all. You should feel embarrassed for sending that, mate.

Have lived in Brisbane on and off for a decade. The support is there when the team is playing well. I remember all the bandwagoners showing up at the Gabba in the mid noughties to watch "their" Lions play the Pies. And when they won they made a pretty huge noise.

But Brisbane is by and large a rugby league town. Most people just don't care about our game and, honestly, they aren't about to change. If the side plays poorly, the bandwagoners that do exist jump off and you're left with all those empty seats at the Gabba.

If it were up to me (probably good that it isn't, because I'm just some bloke), Brisbane and the Gold Coast wouldn't have teams, Tasmania would have one and we'd have either an all star round or a bye to accommodate the odd number. But I admire the AFL for being so dogged in its support of expanding the competition... Misguided or not.

but surely, SURELY, the fact that it's almost 30 years after the formation of the Brisbane Bears and we couldn't field a starting 11 of Queenslanders, never mind a 22, of AFL standard, demonstrates how little impact your efforts have had.
B: S Gilbert D Merrett L Spurr
HB: C Dempsey R Thompson J Harbrow
C: B Whitecross T Bell C Beams
HF: R Petterd N Riewoldt J White
F: D Zorko K Tippett C Dixon
R: Z Smith D Beams D Armitage
Int: A Raines D Hale A Oxley J Thomas
Emg: S Hampson L McGuane M Jones

B: S Gilbert D Merrett L Spurr
HB: C Dempsey R Thompson J Harbrow
C: B Whitecross T Bell C Beams
HF: R Petterd N Riewoldt J White
F: D Zorko K Tippett C Dixon
R: Z Smith D Beams D Armitage
Int: A Raines D Hale A Oxley J Thomas
Emg: S Hampson L McGuane M Jones

Born in Tasmania though?

You seem to think that AFL in Queensland has the remotest thing to do with grass roots support?

It doesn't.

9 games a round.

9 games a round

They changes the product they sell to broadcasters to open a door to an extra $400m in a 4 year cycle.

It would not matter if the AFL had to pour $100m into the franchises in the same 4 year cycle because that could be viewed as an operating cost.

If the AFL were worried about grass roots support then they would have put another team in WA and a team in Tassie before venturing into the Gold Coast or Western Sydney.

A 'State of Origin' series between QLD and NSW would probably bring a heap of interest to the game, but whether or not that would translate to support for Lions/Suns is another matter. An incredible amount of Brisbanites will watch League SoO with passion and yet not give a flying **** about the NRL H&A season. It is something to behold.

I have always said the same thing. A State of Origin series (even a small one held every 3 years or so) would do so much good for the code up in NSW and QLD, way more good than most people from the heartland states could possibly imagine.

You seem to think that AFL in Queensland has the remotest thing to do with grass roots support?

It doesn't.

9 games a round.

9 games a round

They changes the product they sell to broadcasters to open a door to an extra $400m in a 4 year cycle.

It would not matter if the AFL had to pour $100m into the franchises in the same 4 year cycle because that could be viewed as an operating cost.

If the AFL were worried about grass roots support then they would have put another team in WA and a team in Tassie before venturing into the Gold Coast or Western Sydney.
Rubbish

Remove this Banner Ad

Back