Why do people leave?

Remove this Banner Ad

Tigerman20

Debutant
Aug 12, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
It's really really poor anytime, but ESPECIALLY yesterday. after the north goal that put us 17 pts down people were leaving. WHy???? Clearly not over yet, I still thought we could win it. And nearly did too,2 quick goals and bam back to 4 pts. Coulda won it, imagine if we did, those ppl would've missed out

It's really really poor anytime, but ESPECIALLY yesterday. after the north goal that put us 17 pts down people were leaving. WHy???? Clearly not over yet, I still thought we could win it. And nearly did too,2 quick goals and bam back to 4 pts. Coulda won it, imagine if we did, those ppl would've missed out
I have left numerous times, even if we are 3 goals up.
Much depends on if I'm driving or not,or working that night perhaps.
If driving I'd swap the chance of spending 2 hours in the worst car park ever to standing around singing a song.

That's a separate reason if you want to avoid traffic, but in this case people were leaving after that goal that put them 17 pts up. That means people were thinking, game over can't win we're going, not leaving due to traffic reasons or work reasons - would all those people do the same if we got a goal and were 5 pts down or something? No the reason is clear. My argument is that the game was clearly not over at that point. Proved by the fact we nearly came back and won. Plenty of time. Leaving was way too premature imo, I wasn't thinking it was over at that point.

In years gone by if the opposition were 17 up with a few minutes to go we'd go down by over 30 points so why not leave. But this year we are fighting the game out but unfortunately can't get over the line.

i stayed even though i knew we'd lose, although i nearly got a shock when grigg kicked towards goal.

i never leave early, only time i did was against fremantle a couple of months ago. i took my girlfriend and we were both freezing cold to the point where i wanted to jump the fence and have a run around with the players to get some blood flowing. i didn't really dress well for the weather so when the guy next to me pointed out my face was turning a bit blue i decided to leave. i think there was around 10 minutes left, was surprised to see so many others leaving at the same time i did.

Better still, just move over- it'll be cheaper and you'll be closer to Punt Rd

I wish it was that easy!!

About 3 weeks of my annual leave a year is spent on Tiges attending every interstate game and preseason trip.

Can't take every Monday post game off sadly.

Haere Ra

The supporters who leave early because they've given up are a symptom of 30 years of disappointment. It's reflective of our bad culture in the past, time for them to follow the clubs direction and re-educate themselves on never quitting, it may be a stretch but if people hadn't of left maybe that added roar wouldve helped.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I recall a few years back, 2009?, Richmond v Brisbane at Etihad on a Saturday Night. 3 minutes before 3 qtr time I think we were down by 33 points, and the mass exodus started, we had to win the game to keep our finals chances alive that season. We kicked a goal late in the 3rd and at 3 qtr time were down by 4-5 goals. My mate said let's leave but I chose to stay behind. We witnessed one the best quarters of the season for the Tigers, Richo came to life, Tambling fired (? yep not a misprint), and Joel Bowden, "for the second week in a row....", kicked the goal to put us in front at the 32 minute mark. We held on to record a memorable victory.

Great game, the last 10 minutes was just electric.

I just imagine what all those supporters must have been feeling heading home at 3 qtr time, listening to the great comeback, probably quite sick. Glad I stayed! :D

I leave early sometimes if its a decent sized crowd and I have driven, and it looks as if the game has gone. We live on the peninsula and the thought of spending up to 2.5 hours in the car with my 2 young girls is not very appealing so we occassionally leave with 5 to go to beat the rush.

At the end of the day its a symptom of the past. Those that left, would have shat themselves after seeing what unfolded, thinking they might have missed out on the party. Slowly but surely they will start to leave later and later.

I wish it was that easy!!

About 3 weeks of my annual leave a year is spent on Tiges attending every interstate game and preseason trip.

Can't take every Monday post game off sadly.
You seriously have to be one of the most dedicated Tiger supporters I have ever had the privilege of speaking to Kiwi. I love your passion and loyalty.

There are days I can barely be bothered getting to Melbourne from Bendigo for a game and there you are coming across from NZ. Definitely inspires me to get out of bed and get on the train on those cold mornings.

You seriously have to be one of the most dedicated Tiger supporters I have ever had the privilege of speaking to Kiwi. I love your passion and loyalty.

There are days I can barely be bothered getting to Melbourne from Bendigo for a game and there you are coming across from NZ. Definitely inspires me to get out of bed and get on the train on those cold mornings.

Thanks Jisha. We all do it.

Haere Ra

It's not good. But it's not just us Tiger supporters.

ANZAC day 09 when Zaharahkis (however you spell it) kicked that goal about 10'000 Bomber fans had left 5 minutes earlier when they were 18 points down with 5 minutes left, sucks for them

I stayed at thecrows game till the very end, that was hard

People do it because it's their choice, lets face it there's nothing worse walking out of a game you just lost and having to watch the happy looks and smiles on the opposition supporters faces.

Makes me wanna puke.

I have no issue with it. Haven't you ever been to a match that was so mind numbingky boring that you've hust walked out?
Some games are pure filth to watch and I find myself staring into space.
In the mid 90's we played Hawthorn at waverly and I drove in alone. I think they were up something like 5 goals to 0 at half time and I just said, I'll give it 5 minutes.
Got worse so I just walked out.
Done it another day against Freo at Optus oval too.Horrendous game.

But my record and the stuff of legend amongst my mates is that night against Geeking at Etihad in 2008, you all know the one.
Drive in alone again, and after 12 min I reckon it was 5 or 6 goals to zip.Wasnt the score, but I still to this day reckon we didn't try that game and 12 minutes was enough for me to see what was unfolding.
By the time I reached the car I think it was 50 points.
One of my best ever decisions.
My mate texted me" s**t mate you at the game"?
Response " na, left about 5 minutes ago". Its still very much discussed today whenever a blowout looms in a footy match.

I leave early sometimes if its a decent sized crowd and I have driven, and it looks as if the game has gone. We live on the peninsula and the thought of spending up to 2.5 hours in the car with my 2 young girls is not very appealing so we occassionally leave with 5 to go to beat the rush.

Yeah but what about those that leave 10 mins early?

I told my kids on Saturday early in the 3rd qtr when the Hawks were doing it easy to keep an eye out for the fair weather supporters. Sure enough it was a steady stream of black & white faithful leaving minutes later:p

Cant see why you would bother parting with your coin to get in and leave before it's over, still everyone's is different I guess?

I will leave early for traffic, It takes me hour and twenty to get to the MCG and parked. I don't want a three hour drive home.

Basically if I lived 1/2 hour away I would stay the whole game win loose or draw but when you have young kids etc it's a different story. I don't see the point in hanging around and turning my trip home into 2.5 - 3 hours.

Sometimes there are days when you just can't stand hearing the opposition song being played - some of them are that bad!!!! Only gone "early" twice - usually it is stick it out to the end stuff.

Norf game last week I was there with my 3 offspring, TJTIGER and peejay - managed to stay til the siren went but gave the boys the cold shoulder real quick to get out of there and get the kids in the car and back to Ballarat. Two years ago against the same buggers in the rain the kids and I left our seats prior to the siren for the same reason (actually heading to the airport that time) - did hear the siren as we started down the stairs. But can understand why people with other commitments and problems need to get out early.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back