Why I Tipped Collingwood To Win

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 21, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Norwood
We are no good. We are undisciplined. We over-use the ball and play dumb football. We were never going to win today because we won in Perth and believed what people were saying about us being a finals chance. I don't know what's wrong with Hawthorn, I really don't. We just keep losing to sides we should beat.

The only times we win is when we meet a more formidible foe than us and nobody expects us to win. Give us an even chance of victory and we stuff it up big time. I'd like to volunteer to boot Franklin up the backside because his arrogance far outweighs his performances. Time to drop him.

Not happy with the Hawks, not at all. We are just wasting our time.

Its not time wasting its team building.
Deflates the heads ,a bit more experience.
Its all good
We were never going to win the Grand Final this year,we where just getting some game time in the kids and working out who can play on the list.
It gets bit more serious next year and fair dinkum the one after.

HD, in theory that sounds all very nice, but I don't get the feeling a lot of Hawk fans do that this side will ever be anything better than ordinary. If we have Spider tapping to Mitchell and hitting Williams on a lead, we look good, but that's where it ends for us. We have no "Plan B", we lack direction, and worst of all, we lack footy smarts. I've seen nothing in Franklin and Roughead to excite me, and although I liked what I saw in Lewis at first, his form of late has been ordinary. All three of them need to spend the rest of the seaon in the Box Hill Hawks, they are going nowhere at present. I hope I am wrong, but this playing list won't get us anywhere near a premiership. We've got 4-5 quality players and the rest are borderline.

Cheer up
Big kids take time.
They are just playing with what they have this year.
We still need one of them to own CHF and that takes experience.
We will need to replace Spida and Crawf soon due to age.
Plan B comes when you have more players to direct trafic through.
We could even kick long to a contest when one of these kids devlops into a player capable of taking contested marks.
They where playing for there school last year give them time.
We have a few more drafts uncover a few more players to add to this lot and book your tickets for the MCG in September 2007.

Adelaide Hawk said:
We are no good. We are undisciplined. We over-use the ball and play dumb football. .

You know we overuse the ball when the top 3 disposal getters in the AFL are hawks.

Disposals more

1. Luke Hodge Hawthorn 260
2. Shane Crawford Hawthorn 248
3. Sam Mitchell Hawthorn 244

4. Paul Licuria Collingwood 243
5. Scott West Western Bulldogs 239
6. Mark Coughlan Richmond 234
7. Peter Bell Fremantle 227
8. Shane Tuck Richmond 227
9. Nick Dal Santo St Kilda 225
10. Cameron Ling Geelong 222

Although i dont like sayin this but givin the young kids time in Hawthorn colours is the only answer. AC has to decide who he wants for the future and play them. And thats wat goin to win games in years to come. Don't believe me? i mention two clubs that did this, ones up and flying favourites for the flag (Geelong) and the others injury prone but could be up there (StKilda). Chin up Hawk Fans the Future is Promising!

"I'd like to volunteer to boot Franklin up the backside because his arrogance far outweighs his performances. Time to drop him."

amen. the man is making the slowest progress i have ever seen. its almost been a reversal. his best game was the tigers one, a since then he has gotten worse and worse instead of the other way around. seems like another ben dixon\nathan thompson hybrid. putting on one good performance every ten games and then struggling all the other nine and making constant dodgy mistakes.

Alex_au said:
You know we overuse the ball when the top 3 disposal getters in the AFL are hawks.
Is the word 'overuse' fully appropriate? I see a lot of it as well earned possessions by some gun players. Problem is we are not getting value out of such possessions up forward with poor finishing. But you are probably right to a degree, Alex_au, .... overusing when we go short-passing accross field and ignoring and frustrating forwards leading out. Some of our boys down front could see Smith's playing style as one of no confidence in them. I see Smithy as one backman as a prime example. Maybe he should have a spell at Box Hill to get it right. Fwiw, IMO, Clarko and his cohorts will need to get on top of what I see is a very serious problem.

The main issue that has been touched on elsewhere on this site is the game plan that Clarkeson has put in place. It will have to change sooner than later if we are going to develop players/team that can play and win finals football. Our current style of avoiding kicking to contests will take us nowhere. e.g. Collingwood 45 long kicks to a contest v Hawthorn 19. This plan will not develop the talls and takes them out of the game. Who cares at the moment if we lose playing contested football. Lets not create the same situation that Fremantle got themselves into several years ago that they are still trying to work out of their game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fabulous said:
Lets not create the same situation that Fremantle got themselves into several years ago that they are still trying to work out of their game.
Spot on Fabulous, and not just what Freo got themselves into but what Schwab did to us also.

I pose the question, are we falling back into some of last year's terrible habits?

i_love_boys said:
". the man is making the slowest progress.

The 'man' as you call him, isn't.

He's a boy learning. He's ahead of Roughead (taken three places higher) so why not direct your frustration to Jaryd instead.

Because you are putting YOUR expectations onto Franklin is why.

Get some perspective and realise that at 18 with 10 games behind and being targetted since the day he started (Goodes as an introduction to AFL anyone?...), he's doing a damn sight better than we would of intially hoped for.

yeh drop franklin, he's clearly no good if he aint online to win the brownlow in his first year

our full forward is 180cm and our centre half forward options yesterday have bearly played 20 games between them, would kicking the ball long make that much of a difference when they have defenders like clement and wakelin

You guys suck! Bar a couple....

Fiar Dinkum, Buddy is going excellant IMO, i didnt even think hed play this year! Jeese he hasnt even played 15 games and people are unfairly judging him already. 2 goals each week will keep me happy....Until he becomes a monster of course..

adam goodes didn't continously take players on in his first ten games the way buddy does. im not saying that he's a hack im simply saying that he is making the same stupid mistakes every week. if i was an afl player and i watched my game and realised that i took a player on and got tackled when i easily could have kicked it and set up a goal - i'd make a clear intention of avoiding to do the same thing in my game. this is what im hating about buddy currently. i doubt one day he'll just suddenly click and start learning from his CLEAR errors if he hasn't initiated to do so already after almost 10 games.

DROP HIM.

Adelaide Hawk said:
HD, in theory that sounds all very nice, but I don't get the feeling a lot of Hawk fans do that this side will ever be anything better than ordinary. If we have Spider tapping to Mitchell and hitting Williams on a lead, we look good, but that's where it ends for us. We have no "Plan B", we lack direction, and worst of all, we lack footy smarts. I've seen nothing in Franklin and Roughead to excite me, and although I liked what I saw in Lewis at first, his form of late has been ordinary. All three of them need to spend the rest of the seaon in the Box Hill Hawks, they are going nowhere at present. I hope I am wrong, but this playing list won't get us anywhere near a premiership. We've got 4-5 quality players and the rest are borderline.

Adelaide Hawk, whilst I respect your opinion, to say you have seen nothing in Franklin and Roughhead this year, somewhat concerns me. How many games have you actually seen?

give the kids a real go dont jump on them now.
There arnt to many key position players that start there career and blow the league away.
wait a year or 2 and there will be alot of ppl who r bagging them now going that was the best move this club made, its sad that supporters start giving crap to the young players.

good luck hawks i can see u's really going somewhere good in the next couple of years

Adelaide Hawk said:
With respect, AH, you are playing the blame game but not coming up with answers - the latter not very easy. Haven't you realized the hard cold facts of sporting life? No gain without pain ... it's a rocky rough road in redeveloping a group of young men in a professional sporting team, including several of those who have most likely just left home for the first time, experiencing at top level what it can do for a sudden change to demands on one's body. These are just a couple of aspects to consider - there are a multitude of others. Patience is the essence and the virtue.

If you didn't live in Adelaide, I would suggest, if you had the time, go to Glenferrie administration and apply for one of the many volunteer jobs available needed to be filled. Being around the club and experiencing at close range what is needed to get a lowly club up again is a mind boggling experience.

Sorry for the lecture, AA, I respect you views and your generally excellent posts but I don't think you fully understand what is going on in the club's redevelopment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back