Mego Red

The Artist Formerly Known As Kristof
10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
Okay - I'm opening up this can of worms. Or kettle of fish. One of them.

Every major sport in the world allows trading until late in the season, stopping a few weeks before their finals begin.

We don't, because I think we still have a hangover from this being an amateur sport, and we have these Australian ideas about mateship and looking out for folks. Despite the fact that this is a multi million dollar enterprise, and if my work wanted me to change jobs "mid-season" it wouldn't matter one bit ...

Sides descover that they are in different positions as the season go on and need to change their expectations. Of course, they're bound by their list until a week's window at season end. If we were able to realiase that Bock, say, wasn't in our plans now, we could look for a trade while he still had some value, instead of waiting until the end of the year when all value is gone.

Perhaps we suddenly have serious reservations about Reilly. Perhaps we think our flanker stocks are too high, and we shift one for a junior or even a pick. Perhaps we know that we're not ever going to use Burton as a forward, but other sides are intrigued to try, so we trade him while we can get highest value.

The thing is - I think these things actually get fans more interested in a sport - lord knows, living here in the US one of the things that people always talk about on the sports talk-radio is "if we can just trade for this guy, we could be a contender". It makes things interesting all season long, because there's always opportunity and intrigue.

I know we don't like it here, but maybe it's not worth sides wiping off a whole season at the loss of millions of supporter's dollars, when for a couple of good trades the season could be saved.

Don't like it, keep trading till the end of the year. Would involve teams either building a top team (imagine the Eagles picking up Brown next week) or just bombing for the promise of many youngsters or something.

Eggzoi said:
Don't like it, keep trading till the end of the year. Would involve teams either building a top team (imagine the Eagles picking up Brown next week) or just bombing for the promise of many youngsters or something.

Well - how COULD the Eagles pick up Brown, unless they were willing to trade a Kerr-like player? That's the POINT of trading. It should be open until round 15.

The idea has some merit to it and if the coaches at the Adelaide Football Club were allowed to use it (but would they) whom would we trade for and what would we have to give up to gain that player.

I would offer Brendon Fevola $2,100,000 over 4 years in 2 year intervals (make an offer to him he can not refuse)

$450,000 a year for the first 2 year and then 2 more years @ $600,000

What would I offer to Carlton for a mid season trade?

Brett Burton and Ken McGregor (you have to give something of value to get something of value)

Hentschel can play at centre half back allowing Fevola to become the focal point with Perrie or Watts at CHF and would hold more value to Carlton than Hentschel. A CHB is easier to find than a forward

Its an interesting idea but one that has a few faults.

Would you only be able to trade players. Dunno how trading players for a draft pick that you dont have and dont know what number it would be would work. Its all right to say "we'll give you our second round pick"...what happens if say a team falls from 4th on the ladder to 12th or 13th (has happened before with the likes of Collingwood and Richmond). Suddenly youre pick 30 becomes a much better pick 20 and you cant use it.

What I wouldnt mind seeing is a mid season draft again where you get one pick. Port would kill for someone like Jeremy Clayton at the moment and the Crows would kill for a key forward that could take a mark and kick a goal.

Macca19 said:
Port would kill for someone like Jeremy Clayton at the moment and the Crows would kill for a key forward that could take a mark and kick a goal.
Yeah, but who would release a player that can take a mark and kick a goal midseason?

The Toolman said:
Yeah, but who would release a player that can take a mark and kick a goal midseason?

You'd look in the VFL and SANFL - though the mid year draft was a pretty big failure in the past. Of course, we had much bigger lists then.

When you trade for a pick, part of the gamble is how you think the side will improve or go backwards. That's what happens in the NBA and NFL, which are the sports our draft was based on.

So - PAFC could finally trade Damon White, say, instead of at the end of the year when he has less value.

I completely agree with the idea of midseason trading. Some teams may find themselves depleted in a certain position due to extraordinary circumstances such as injury - remember when St.Kilda sacked Capuano and all their ruckmen went down after that? Sure, they shot themselves in the foot, but even if they did have Capuano (no legend of the game) they were still seriously down on ruckmen. They should've been able to trade, or at least acquire another player through a lower league.
As far as trading draft picks go, that's just part of the risks you take in the trading process. You don't know whether that first round pick will get you the first or 18th pick (taking priority picks into consideration). The trading game is a risky one, but would add to the excitement during the season. Trading period is a fun time for fans during the off season, but I don't agree with that being restricted to one week in the off season. Bring on mid season trading.

Toolman - Clubs at lower leagues dont really get a choice, If a player enters the draft then they can be picked up.

The mid season draft was a failure in the past but that was around back in 1992 when the draft process was still a complete lottery and nothing like the science it is now.

It would also promote guys in their early to mid 20s that may have missed the boat the first time around to keep playing at lower levels which ultimately makes the SANFL/VFL stronger. How many talented youngsters have ended up 'retired' from the SANFL at the age of 20-22 and end up in the amatuers somewhere. Plenty. It gives them some motivation to stay at it.

Just a thought anyway

In the NBA they have a system where a player can get contracted for '10 day contract' to fill in for injuries and player suspensions (not that it happens that much)

I would like the AFL to make an amendment to the injury/rookie list rules. I would like to see the AFL have a 1-month contract (4 games) for a player who can step straight into the AFL side and fill in a position.

Port Adelaide Power are currently really undermanned with on ballers, so they could sign Jeremy Clayton for a ‘1 month contract’ until some of the key on ballers are back. This would allow 22-25 years olds a second opportunity to get back into the AFL system

Kristof, this is a top thread and its something that I would love to see the AFL introduce it.

Beauty of this is that teams could improve and even take out the premiership in one year when many predicted them to finish somewhere near the bottom.

It just creates so much excitement around the place. I follow the NBA reasonably closely and these sort of things keep a lot of fans interested. The Shaq trade was huge and made Miami a genuine contender where as the year before they were solid play off team.

Last year Detroit were a solid team but no one thought they were contenders until they did a mid-season trade for Rasheed Wallace. They went on to win the title.

The trading deadline through the season would make things more interesting and fairly unpredictable which would draw more attention to the sport.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Macca19 said:
Its an interesting idea but one that has a few faults.

Would you only be able to trade players. Dunno how trading players for a draft pick that you dont have and dont know what number it would be would work. Its all right to say "we'll give you our second round pick"...what happens if say a team falls from 4th on the ladder to 12th or 13th (has happened before with the likes of Collingwood and Richmond). Suddenly youre pick 30 becomes a much better pick 20 and you cant use it.

What I wouldnt mind seeing is a mid season draft again where you get one pick. Port would kill for someone like Jeremy Clayton at the moment and the Crows would kill for a key forward that could take a mark and kick a goal.
You take the risk with trading draft picks. In the NBA teams can trade future draft picks which makes it more intruiging. They also have these scenarios where you have protected picks. In other words if a team trades away its pick they might have a clause. For example Adelaide trades McLeod and Bock for Fevola and first round pick in 2005 ND. Carlton can have a clause which is agreed upon by both sides that if the Blues get a pick inside top 5 the blues keep that pick and Adelaide gets Carlton's pick in 2006 ND.

crows98 said:
In the NBA they have a system where a player can get contracted for '10 day contract' to fill in for injuries and player suspensions (not that it happens that much)

I would like the AFL to make an amendment to the injury/rookie list rules. I would like to see the AFL have a 1-month contract (4 games) for a player who can step straight into the AFL side and fill in a position.

Port Adelaide Power are currently really undermanned with on ballers, so they could sign Jeremy Clayton for a ‘1 month contract’ until some of the key on ballers are back. This would allow 22-25 years olds a second opportunity to get back into the AFL system
Thats a pretty good idea as well and if the player injured is not back in a month you cal also extent the 1 month contract to extra month.

Stiffy_18 said:
Kristof, this is a top thread and its something that I would love to see the AFL introduce it.

Beauty of this is that teams could improve and even take out the premiership in one year when many predicted them to finish somewhere near the bottom.

It just creates so much excitement around the place. I follow the NBA reasonably closely and these sort of things keep a lot of fans interested. The Shaq trade was huge and made Miami a genuine contender where as the year before they were solid play off team.

Last year Detroit were a solid team but no one thought they were contenders until they did a mid-season trade for Rasheed Wallace. They went on to win the title.

The trading deadline through the season would make things more interesting and fairly unpredictable which would draw more attention to the sport.

Thanks, Stiffy - I'm here in the US, so maybe I have a prejudice towards it, but I see how much excitement and optomism is around the fact that you can still develop and change your team. Sides are never completely out of it, they're always looking forward - either buildimng for the next year by trading to clear salary cap and get juniors, or stocking up with pieces they're missing for one decent run at the title (like Wallace for the Pistons last year).

It means you always have hope and something to talk about at the bar.

That being said - I can't imagine it's going to happen anytime soon. People still seem stuck in the mindset that footy had 30 years ago. They don't see that it's such a big business that clubs need to be able to have all the flexibility possible.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back