Will Grimley be a best 22 player by the end of 2014?

Will Grimley be best 22 by the end of the year?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 22, 2009
LOL @ Norf
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
GeeLOL sucks, so does $hitney
Since we have a Ceglar thread going it only seems fair to start a Grimley one, given these two may be competing for the same spot this year.

Where do you think Grimley is at right now?

Will he cement a place in the side by the end of the year on his own merits, or will he be relying on injuries to others, or won't he get called up much at all?

After Roughead, Gunston & Hale who would you like to see get the job as a tall in or forwardline out of Grimley, Ceglar, Schoenmakers or Spangher?

Grim plays predominantly FF at BHH. Five preseason have been put into him, he needs to start kicking bags and putting some pressure on the selectors.

On exposed form I rate him as being only a very outside chance of playing any AFL games this year.

I voted possibly, but I think that is my optimism shining through, I do like Grimmers and think he has a lot to offer if he can bring it on big stage, but I have my doubts whether he'll be able to step it up.

Until this bloke learns to play the percentages & do the simple things right then he's no chance....Continually puts the cart before the horse this kid....Someone in a position of responsibility at the club needs to get into this boy's head & put him straight immediately or it's de-list city come this October for certain!

Tim O'Brien has gone past him & as a ruck combination fill-in/ stop-gap both Ceglar & Lowden are ahead of him.

Hope he proves me wrong, but I seriously doubt it.

Grim plays predominantly FF at BHH. Five preseason have been put into him, he needs to start kicking bags and putting some pressure on the selectors.

On exposed form I rate him as being only a very outside chance of playing any AFL games this year.
I can't fault this logic. If he's not good enough, he's not in the team.

I think Grimley is competing with Spangher for the Hale role. I know many on here like Spangher but I suspect a lot of that is more to do with his persona than his skill as footballer and personally I would give Grimley a game ahead of him. I think for either of thme to get a spot Hale would have to go down.

I think Grimley is competing with Spangher for the Hale role. I know many on here like Spangher but I suspect a lot of that is more to do with his persona than his skill as footballer and personally I would give Grimley a game ahead of him. I think for either of thme to get a spot Hale would have to go down.
What?
So if Hale gets injured Spangher will be our second ruck ? I don't think so!
They won't use Roughy as a ruckman after his 2013, and the loss of Buddy!

Ceglar is waiting for one of Hale or McEvoy to get injured or be rested to get a game

Spangher is backup KPF or KPD depending on injury/rest

Grimley is a half forward, nothing more, not an AFL ruckman. He can only play as a forward

Pretty disappointing for the lad that he has had 5 preseasons....and then some kid called Tim O'Brien jumps straight past him.

If Tim can show the Club he has a greater upside than Grim who has been on the list for eternity, then that is a massive knock on Grim.

Pretty disappointing for the lad that he has had 5 preseasons....and then some kid called Tim O'Brien jumps straight past him.

If Tim can show the Club he has a greater upside than Grim who has been on the list for eternity, then that is a massive knock on Grim.
Grimley and Lowden in the same boat

Grimley overtaken by O'Brien
Lowden overtaken by Ceglar

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No way.

He will get games only through injury and resting players.

He is fine on a lead but apart from that he lacks a football brain and can not play contested footy.

What?
So if Hale gets injured Spangher will be our second ruck ? I don't think so!
They won't use Roughy as a ruckman after his 2013, and the loss of Buddy!

Ceglar is waiting for one of Hale or McEvoy to get injured or be rested to get a game

Spangher is backup KPF or KPD depending on injury/rest

Grimley is a half forward, nothing more, not an AFL ruckman. He can only play as a forward

Grimley and Spangher are roaming mobile key fwds with Spangher able to play back as you say. I don't see any other position they could stake a claim to. If Hale goes down Roughead will pinch-hit in ruck with McEvoy allowing Grimley or Spangher to come in as Hale's replacement in the fwd line.

960561d1373787895-riots-already-breaking-out-florida-minutes-after-verdict-doubtful.jpg

Grimley and Spangher are roaming mobile key fwds with Spangher able to play back as you say. I don't see any other position they could stake a claim to. If Hale goes down Roughead will pinch-hit in ruck with McEvoy allowing Grimley or Spangher to come in as Hale's replacement in the fwd line.
Totally agree with the roles both play, but without Bud,Rough will surely stay forward.
If either McEvoy or Hale are out of the side, Ceglar is the obvious choice to fill that role
He plays the exact role to Hale, a ruckman who can go forward and grab a mark, although not in the same vein as Hale does yet!

Totally agree with the roles both play, but without Bud,Rough will surely stay forward.
If either McEvoy or Hale are out of the side, Ceglar is the obvious choice to fill that role
He plays the exact role to Hale, a ruckman who can go forward and grab a mark, although not in the same vein as Hale does yet!

I dont have as much faith as you in Ceglar offering anything outside a ruck contest. I think he is a ruckman first and foremost that can drift fwd and be somewhat useful as a fwd target. Grimley is potentially a dangerous fwd target who can alternate in the ruck with Rough which is basically what we would be looking to replace. Maybe I am just underrating Ceglar.

I dont have as much faith as you in Ceglar offering anything outside a ruck contest. I think he is a ruckman first and foremost that can drift fwd and be somewhat useful as a fwd target. Grimley is potentially a dangerous fwd target who can alternate in the ruck with Rough which is basically what we would be looking to replace. Maybe I am just underrating Ceglar.
Nah
I don't rate Ceglar high, but I think your over-rating Grimley as a ruckman

If Grimley were to compete at AFL level as a ruckman, he'd be comprehensively beaten at every contest, allowing the opposition centre breaks and effective stoppage wins
We'd be on the back foot all the time

Grimley's only chance is as a permanent forward, nothing else!
Just my opinion

The only chance would be if we kept the same forward structure and Grim came in to replace Buddy. Buddy was played as a roaming half forward for the majority of last year. Can Grimley play that role?? it is a team based role but in saying that, Buddy still kicked 60 odd goals doing it.

Either that or Gunston plays that role and Grimers steps into to Gunstons role of roaming between the arcs and bobbing up to kick 40 odd this season. I don't know Grimmers play that well but he would have to be a smart footballer to cause the damage that Gunston caused in that role last year. Is he capable of that??

In the same way Franklin would at times wrestle rather than do the fundamental thing and lead, Grimmers looks great on the lead but seems more willing to try and take a low percentage speccy.
Please refer to Jason Dunstalls career and take note Grimmers, JD had great hands, strength and speed off the mark, as well as being a beautiful kick for goal, he had many strengths but his biggest asset was recognising these assets and playing to these strengths.

I'm hopeful for Grimley but he needs to improve 50% to get a spot.
Let's face it Hale isn't a genuine ruckman but does extremely well in that role.
Ask Sandilands how many clearances he tapped to the opposition over the journey?
A contest is all that is required in the centre with the midfield we have.
Grimley is in front of Ceglar as a forward,but behind him as a ruck.It will be a battle at Box Hill
for these two to see gets some game time in 2014.

Back