Working our way through the season

Remove this Banner Ad

Good graphs Crytor!

This is encouraging, but the worrying thing in all this is more the manner in which those little moments didn't go our way. They weren't all bad umpire calls or a flukey shot by the opposition from deep in the pocket or 65m out. Port game aside, all of the other three losses we were in a winning position in the last quarter and then didn't show the extra little effort required to clinch the victory. Even in the game against St Kilda we let the Saints get three easy goals at the end. That 'lack of concentration' right to the end of the game (for want of a better expression) will definitely come back to bite us in the next few rounds if the team doesn't play out every quarter to its full measure.

I'm fervently hoping that Clarko just has the team pacing itself but make no mistake, the next five rounds are going to make or break our season.
Have a flick through the Essendon and Sydney autopsy threads on this board again. The tantrums and tone of despair would be cries of "off to troll their review thread!" and a sense of relief if we got those dying seconds goals in each of those games.

Missing out on a certain match winning goal by a single second is the embodiment of bad luck.

Cyril fumbling a ball isn't actually all that uncommon from him (he often thinks faster than he can act) and isn't a sign of some deeper issue regarding not handling close games or pressure well.

8-2 and this thread doesn't even exist I bet. Does that make any of our poor starts any less of an issue? They certainly wouldn't be getting the air time on here.

There are issues but they are perhaps being overstated due to a few 50-50 moments not going our way.

Just did a ladder predictor. The Swans game could really hold the key to our season. With the way I see the season falling, we lose that game we finish 3rd and play Freo in Freo. Win it, we actually finish top with our superior percentage and the Weagles in Melbourne. I know which one I like better....

Just did a ladder predictor. The Swans game could really hold the key to our season. With the way I see the season falling, we lose that game we finish 3rd and play Freo in Freo. Win it, we actually finish top with our superior percentage and the Weagles in Melbourne. I know which one I like better....

I think last night was the key to the season - its opened up the top 4 for us

And if we are good enough we only need to finish top 4 to be able to win the flag

Our premiership window is still wide open, and last night we may have just opened our premiership door a little. Let's hope we can open that door a lot wider over the next few rounds.

I think last night was the key to the season - its opened up the top 4 for us

And if we are good enough we only need to finish top 4 to be able to win the flag
Agreed, our best can beat any other team's best. But I'd still rather play the Weagles at the 'G than Freo at subi...

The way I see it is that we need to win one of 3 games against the top 4 (Fremantle - Tassie, Sydney - ANZ, West Coast - Perth) and not drop any other game to stitch up top 4

15 wins will get us top 4 with our %

Give me 4 teams other than us you think can get 16+ wins

I would think it much more likely that we get Sydney in the first week of the finals (2nd v 3rd). The question is where is it being played? There is a good chance that the Swans home and away game in Sydney will decide that. It burns me to think that we dropped the MCG game v the Swans from the position we were in. That was genuinely an 8pt game. I really hope that we don't look back at that result and say that it was the reason we didn't win the flag the same way that the last minute draw to St Kilda in 2010 meant that we had to travel to Fremantle first week of the finals and not vice versa which effectively ended our season. The other scenario that is likely this year is that Freo would play West Coast in the other QF which would mitigate Freo's home ground advantage. Finally after 20yrs in as cellar dwellers they win a minor premiership and it counts for squat. Quite funny when you think about it.

I would think it much more likely that we get Sydney in the first week of the finals (2nd v 3rd). The question is where is it being played? There is a good chance that the Swans home and away game in Sydney will decide that. It burns me to think that we dropped the MCG game v the Swans from the position we were in. That was genuinely an 8pt game. I really hope that we don't look back at that result and say that it was the reason we didn't win the flag the same way that the last minute draw to St Kilda in 2010 meant that we had to travel to Fremantle first week of the finals and not vice versa which effectively ended our season. The other scenario that is likely this year is that Freo would play West Coast in the other QF which would mitigate Freo's home ground advantage. Finally after 20yrs in as cellar dwellers they win a minor premiership and it counts for squat. Quite funny when you think about it.
The thing about Freo is, they play us in Tassie and Port at AO in the last round. I have them dropping both of those games, which brings them right back to the field. That's why the Swans game is so vital, whoever wins that finishes top. In my scenario of course...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We will have to win at least one final away from MCG this year if we are to win it. I think we are like Bris in either 03 or 04. Plenty of challengers and there will probably be hiccups before hopefully making GF. Théy are the only other side to make 4 GFs in a row since us in 80s, and they won in 03 after losing a final and winning a PF in Sydney.

We will have to win at least one final away from MCG this year if we are to win it. I think we are like Bris in either 03 or 04. Plenty of challengers and there will probably be hiccups before hopefully making GF. Théy are the only other side to make 4 GFs in a row since us in 80s, and they won in 03 after losing a final and winning a PF in Sydney.
Don't count out a top 2 spot just yet. Richmond are capable of beating Sydney this week if they turn up with the right mindset. We win and we'll be a game behind second with superior percentage. We then play all of the teams above us before the end of the season which means we have the power to overtake any of them. Even Freo who have really started to slide the past month or so. They almost lost to the Gold Coast seconds in similar conditions to when we played them.

Important to remember that Freomantlepiece finished 3rd in 2013 and weren't "cooked" by the Grand Final. Although I'd love to see us play over here, hopefully we don't have to! A final at ANZ stadium is going to be somewhat easier compared to a final at Subi in the scheme of finals

The thing about Freo is, they play us in Tassie and Port at AO in the last round. I have them dropping both of those games, which brings them right back to the field. That's why the Swans game is so vital, whoever wins that finishes top. In my scenario of course...
LOL Port...

Important to remember that Freomantlepiece finished 3rd in 2013 and weren't "cooked" by the Grand Final. Although I'd love to see us play over here, hopefully we don't have to! A final at ANZ stadium is going to be somewhat easier compared to a final at Subi in the scheme of finals

YES....BUT....Methinks maybe you're forgetting about the umps....Freo copped a fearful one-sided caning in last year's qualifying final in Sydney & it will be no different for us.

2nd spot or we are consigned to also-rans....Put your hard-earnt on it.

Plenty of teams have made the GF after not finishing top 2, i'd back us to win an away final if iy came to it. We should just focus on finishing top 4, do that an we are a great chance.

Correct I can't see both of WCE/ Collingwood winning 16+ so 15 wins with our % will land us top 4.

If the top 4 is Sydney / Fremantle, West Coast / Collingwood and Hawthorn I betcha Sydney / Fremantle hope for all hell they don't draw us in the finals, hey

Its a bit like the Power / Collingwood / Swans / Lions situation in 2003 where the Power and Collingwood were just hoping the Lions could just go away

Remove this Banner Ad

Back