World Cup

Remove this Banner Ad

Should players like Axsel Bang be able to play, or the rookie listed Kiwi teenagers. They all played footy at home before getting on lists. Axsel had represented his country before being signed. How about players like Eric Wallace? Hasnt played in the US, but hasn't played in the AFL either. One of the other American basketballers played with his local footy team when he made the combine to get experience, There are probably Australia based Irish players that have played at as high a level as Eric who will be in the IC.

Having some AFL listed players playing achieves 2 objectives. Will give some media attention to the IC. Highlight that there is foreign talent playing the game at a reasonable level.

Wasn't half of the irish team from UTS at the last one? Didn't realise UTS played in an overseas league...
I believe these were players who had played in Ireland, then moved to Australia for work and kept playing here, but I could be wrong.

http://www.aflnswact.com.au/index.p...ws]=660&tx_ttnews[backPid]=4&cHash=a4f8459e17

Ten came from the sydney afl. The main guy in the article did play gaelic back home but had been out here for 5 years. Dunno how to find out about the other 9 if possible. But to say the IC is for guys who have come through the overseas leagues then to find out that 10 of the winning team come from sydney afl (no mention if any came from elsewhere in aus) doesn't really show them coming through their home leagues.

Should players like Axsel Bang be able to play, or the rookie listed Kiwi teenagers. They all played footy at home before getting on lists. Axsel had represented his country before being signed. How about players like Eric Wallace? Hasnt played in the US, but hasn't played in the AFL either. One of the other American basketballers played with his local footy team when he made the combine to get experience, There are probably Australia based Irish players that have played at as high a level as Eric who will be in the IC.

The best example is the PNG. Players from the PNG start in their local leagues and some are good enough to follow the AFL pathway to the AFL. There are quite a number of PNG players playing around Australia in various leagues. They are eligible but for various reasons only a small number participate in the IC (TBMK).

Having some AFL listed players playing achieves 2 objectives. Will give some media attention to the IC. Highlight that there is foreign talent playing the game at a reasonable level.

Totally agree. It appears some countries don't play some eligible players for various reasons.
IMO the stakeholders have the right mix to make for a competitive event.
This doesn't mean they wont make changes or additions in the future.

to say the IC is for guys who have come through the overseas leagues.

It is still basically correct.
I glad you spend so much time investigating Australian Football overseas - you must be a really big fan.
As such you'd know there are other countries where players have started locally and developed elsewhere.
I didn't think it needed stating that some players are not restricted to their local leagues for their entire playing carreers.
Many players from the PNG are playing in Australia.
Many players from NZ are playing in Australia.
Players from the USA have played in Australia.
Players from the GB are playing in Australia.
Players from France have played in Australia.
Players from Europe have played in Australia and in other parts of Europe.
Players from the RSA have played in Australia.
So players from Ireland playing in Australia is not unique but they
have developed a special relationship that is good for Australian football.
As Australian Football develops we'll probably see more of this.

http://www.aflnswact.com.au/index.php?id=5&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=660&tx_ttnews[backPid]=4&cHash=a4f8459e17

Ten came from the sydney afl. The main guy in the article did play gaelic back home but had been out here for 5 years. Dunno how to find out about the other 9 if possible. But to say the IC is for guys who have come through the overseas leagues then to find out that 10 of the winning team come from sydney afl (no mention if any came from elsewhere in aus) doesn't really show them coming through their home leagues.

Talking to the guys from Finland and they say they have guys here they will use as well. Its typically students. It also helps massively if half the team doesnt have to pay to fly out here. I think the Danes do as well, and when i talked to the French and German guys they were frustrated by not knowing where clubs were that their players were going to. Its not all that uncommon to have guys running around in district and country footy from overseas.

It is still basically correct.
I glad you spend so much time investigating Australian Football overseas - you must be a really big fan.
As such you'd know there are other countries where players have started locally and developed elsewhere.
I didn't think it needed stating that some players are not restricted to their local leagues for their entire playing carreers.
Many players from the PNG are playing in Australia.
Many players from NZ are playing in Australia.
Players from the USA have played in Australia.
Players from the GB are playing in Australia.
Players from France have played in Australia.
Players from Europe have played in Australia and in other parts of Europe.
Players from the RSA have played in Australia.
So players from Ireland playing in Australia is not unique but they
have developed a special relationship that is good for Australian football.
As Australian Football develops we'll probably see more of this.

I am a big fan. I play in the local sydney comp and remember reading that article a few years ago. We also had the peace team along with dippa come down to one of our games.

Any idea how many players are developed locally or just came out here and decided to give it a try and now find themselves playing in a world cup? Any idea how many players do play locally in their country and not in australia then play in the IC? If we know 10 of the Irish boys come from Sydney comp, do we have any idea how many come from melbourne, adelaide, perth or the other states? How many actually play in Ireland?

Any idea how many players do play locally in their country and not in australia then play in the IC?

To the best of my knowledge Ireland is the only country so strongly organised.
Most players start in their country and some enthusiastic players come to Australia
to further their football experience.

Any idea how many players are developed locally

Here's the PNG lineup and clubs.

Peter Labi (North Cairns)
Ryan Agita (Broadbeach)
Stanis Susuve (Coolangatta)
Amua Pirika (Campbelltown)
Emmaus Wartovo (Port Moresby Dockers)
Gideon Simon (Richmond)
John James (Aspley)
Jason So'ong (Coolamon)
Jeconiah Peni (Campbelltown)
Emmanuel Tupia (Port Moresby Dockers)
Greg Aki (Coolamon)
John Ikupu (West Coburg)
Peter Milaura (Gulf Giants)
Stanis Agita (Broadbeach)
Donald Barry (Coolangatta)
Paul Phillip (Gordons Kokofas)
Theo Gavuri (Sydney Hills Eagles)
Jeffrey Namete (Taurama Suns)
Sylvester Mangaea (Port Moresby Dockers)
Brendan Beno (Coolangatta)
Willie Asi (North Cairns)
Michael Macca (Carnington/Linton)
Scott Johnson (Carnington/Linton)
Chris **** (Taurama Suns)
Wingti Pena (University Tigers)
David Topeni (University Tigers)
Alphonse Jambafuro (Campbelltown)
Laurie Logo (University Tigers)
Clydie Pulah (University Tigers)
Elliot Takolu (Lae)
Freddie Kalandi (Mt Hagen)
Tony Meli (Lae)
Freeman Keno (Lae)
Greg Ekari (Bomana Cats)
Kataha Siwee (Bomana Cats)
Luke Savere (Bomana Cats)
Brendan Gotuno (University Tigers)
Ezra Gotuno (Gerehu Magpies)
Ori Nilmo (Port Moresby Dockers)
David Stegman (Mt. Hagen)
Richard Stegman (Mt. Hagen)
Sunny Yogomin (Gordons Kokofas)
Sam Ila (Gordons Kokofas)
David Meli (Port Moresby Dockers)

44 players? wat. also, which ones are png and which ones are aus?

Also, any proof on most players start locally then the enthusiastic ones come here to further their football experience? I know when I moved to London I played rugby because it was everywhere and try the local thing rather then playing footy with the ex pats. I would imagine more than a couple would take up the local game once they get here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

????
The players are from the PNG.
Some play in Australia.
Players are distinguished by the clubs they currently play for.

Also, any proof on most players start locally then the enthusiastic ones come here to further their football experience?

It's called an AFL pathway and the AFL have created distinct pathways in certain cases.

Also, any proof on most players start locally then the enthusiastic ones come here to further their football experience? I know when I moved to London I played rugby because it was everywhere and try the local thing rather then playing footy with the ex pats. I would imagine more than a couple would take up the local game once they get here.

There have been players from all sorts of countries starting locally and coming here and generally playing a season or two in local footy whilst here on student/working visas form the most part. Ireland has a tonne of people in the Uni system, and i believe the Danes have had one or two folks down here. The Finland AFL guys mentioned they had folks down here too. The chinese national starting the league in china played down here a bit before returning to china.

There have been players from all sorts of countries starting locally and coming here and generally playing a season or two in local footy whilst here on student/working visas form the most part. Ireland has a tonne of people in the Uni system, and i believe the Danes have had one or two folks down here. The Finland AFL guys mentioned they had folks down here too. The chinese national starting the league in china played down here a bit before returning to china.

Any proof of this? I know that captain of Ireland did but have doubts about how many do start locally before coming here. I'd say its much more likely they move here and then sign up to get involved in a team sport, stay fit and meet some new friends on the other side of the world.

We've gone from the IC being for local players to now knowing about half play in Aus. Now we shift to "but they played back home before they came here". Do we have any proof except for the one I've already mentioned?

Any proof of this? I know that captain of Ireland did but have doubts about how many do start locally before coming here. I'd say its much more likely they move here and then sign up to get involved in a team sport, stay fit and meet some new friends on the other side of the world.

We've gone from the IC being for local players to now knowing about half play in Aus. Now we shift to "but they played back home before they came here". Do we have any proof except for the one I've already mentioned?
The US has an agreement with WA country footy to place players here, and they have had a maybe 5 or 6 come and spend a season. One or 2 have even done some WAFL pre season. I do not see how playing for Gin Gin or Busselton for a season can prevent you playing for your homeland. I also do not see how if a player does this next year, so he is already in Oz playing footy when the IC is on, this could prevent him playing for the US.

Also if you have someone from overseas studying or working in Australia, who develops an interest in the game, and maybe joins the local club and plays a few reserves games. Then they go home and join a local Aussie rules team (not a rare event), are we saying they have such an advantage over other players, they cannot play for the national team?

I think they take a more pragmatic approach. If you came to Australia as a 5 year old, and developed and played your whole life here, with no connection to footy in your home country, you are ineligible. I do not know of anyone who has played the IC who fits that category. If you learnt overseas and then developed your game further in Australia, or were introduced to the game in Australia, and pursued it back home, you should be eligible.

Ireland is the interesting one, as there seem to be a lot of Oz based players without a lot of evidence they had much to do with Aussie rules before coming here. Again, does a couple of seasons footy in Australia preclude someone from playing. Its not like they are semi pro.

The US has an agreement with WA country footy to place players here, and they have had a maybe 5 or 6 come and spend a season. One or 2 have even done some WAFL pre season. I do not see how playing for Gin Gin or Busselton for a season can prevent you playing for your homeland. I also do not see how if a player does this next year, so he is already in Oz playing footy when the IC is on, this could prevent him playing for the US.

Really? Would be interested to hear some info about that. Can you provide any more? I don't see how it could either.

Also if you have someone from overseas studying or working in Australia, who develops an interest in the game, and maybe joins the local club and plays a few reserves games. Then they go home and join a local Aussie rules team (not a rare event), are we saying they have such an advantage over other players, they cannot play for the national team?

when you say not a rare event, do we have any proof? no, no ones saying that.

I think they take a more pragmatic approach. If you came to Australia as a 5 year old, and developed and played your whole life here, with no connection to footy in your home country, you are ineligible. I do not know of anyone who has played the IC who fits that category. If you learnt overseas and then developed your game further in Australia, or were introduced to the game in Australia, and pursued it back home, you should be eligible.

Indeed.

Ireland is the interesting one, as there seem to be a lot of Oz based players without a lot of evidence they had much to do with Aussie rules before coming here. Again, does a couple of seasons footy in Australia preclude someone from playing. Its not like they are semi pro.

I'm not debating who should and shouldn't be eligible, it's not like its a big deal. I was just interested in cos's statement that all the players play locally. Now the goal posts have shifted as we know something like half of the irish team play over here. Again, not a big deal in the scheme of things, saves costs etc and why should they be excluded. I was just hoping that the people making the statements could back it up with some proof. That's all.

I don't want to be banned for being a troll or anything. I play in the local comp and have started my 4th preseason. I just find that cos always makes these statements and when called out on it moves the goal posts.

We've gone from the IC being for local players to now knowing about half play in Aus.

NO. One team has less than half of it's team playing in Australia.
And that is because Ireland has a strong relationship within the educational system.
Other countries have a very add hoc arrangement w.r.t. players in Australia.

The US has an agreement with WA country footy to place players here, and they have had a maybe 5 or 6 come and spend a season. One or 2 have even done some WAFL pre season.

There is an annual scholarship scheme I believe for a player from the USAFL.
One blogged his time at Collingwood.
Two USA brothers played for the WAFL. One league and one reserves I believe.

NO. One team has less than half of it's team playing in Australia.
And that is because Ireland has a strong relationship within the educational system.
Other countries have a very add hoc arrangement w.r.t. players in Australia.

Do we know that? We know that almost half it's team plays in the Sydney comp. No idea how many others are playing else where in NSW or Australia.

It does? How so?

The PNG list has at least 14 players playing in Australia, that's assuming the places I hadn't heard of are in PNG.

I was just interested in cos's statement that all the players play locally.

Maybe you colud supply proof of where I said that.

like half of the irish team play over here.

"like half" . It's under half isn't it.
Ireland should be applauded for arranging such an effective system.
If they didn't have such an effective system established then these guys probably would be playing Gaelic or maybe nothing at all. The AFL has set up an AFL pathway system in the RSA, PNG and NZ so some players are going to end up playing in Australia and some even at a high level. This may have been a shock to you and maybe seems to be a deviation from the truly amateur nature of the IC. I have actually stated that in the future this situation might have to be addressed with say an extra division for the heavyweights. I know of players from some countries who have come to Australia to further their football experience and it was good to here of other countries like Finland. It's not an eligibilty problem but rather a positive development for Australia Football overseas. Again, IMO more and more players will come to Australia to further their football experience especially at the top end. Obviously teams that have more of these players will achieve better results and thus you can say that they have "performed" better.

No idea how many others are playing else where in .

Why don't YOU find out.

The PNG list has at least 14 players playing in Australia, that's assuming the places I hadn't heard of are in PNG.

Isn't that great.
Maybe you could find out just exactly how the AFL pathway works such these
players find themselves in various teams. There are some articles on the more well known
players but maybe you could find out more.

Maybe you colud supply proof of where I said that.

The IC has developed from zero to being the tournament for countries outside of Australia.
The IC is really for the players that have come through the local overseas leagues so that should always remain regardless of other developments.

Why don't YOU find out.

I'm not the one making the claims.

Isn't that great.
Maybe you could find out just exactly how the AFL pathway works such these
players find themselves in various teams. There are some articles on the more well known

players but maybe you could find out more.

Can't you tell me?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back