Worst memories from past off-seasons?

Remove this Banner Ad

2005 off season was pretty rough.

Trading out Motlop, for Jonathan "who ate all the pies" Hay.

Then picking up Daniel "will be a 200 game player" McConnel for two first rounders, Mark Powell (who dissapeared after 1 week), Lance Piccaone, Kasey Green and Tim Hutchinson.

Big trade week, for a whole lot of s**t.

Silver lining in getting a pick upgrade for Jade Rawlings which netted us Swallow which Laidley in all his ******* wisdom wanted to use to get Kasey Green because he thought Green wouldn't last past Port for our next live pick ffs.

Thank lord Nifty Nev stood firm on that decision.

Honurable mention to Arden st gerting burned down. Not once, but twice.

It's Saturday night.

Instead of going out and enjoying myself, I'm googling Jesse Smith. I find an article about his leaving North Melbourne and declaring for the draft. Lo and frickin' behold:

NORTH Melbourne has been upset by Jesse Smith's decision to walk out on the club, claiming its facilities are not good enough.

Smith will nominate for the draft in a move that will deliver nothing to the club that says it has supported him throughout five injury-riddled seasons.

In an explosive and bitter end to trade week, Smith's manager, Liam Pickering, said yesterday the Kangaroos did not have the right "tools" for his client's rehabilitation.

North Melbourne's chief of football, Donald McDonald, said the club was gutted by Smith's decision and criticism less than a month out from the opening of its new $15 million elite training facility.

"This is a very delicate situation because we could not have possibly worked any harder to get Jesse right," McDonald said.

"Every staff member to a man has bent over backwards to give Jesse every opportunity to get himself right. I challenge any club in the country to have worked harder to get him playing, but the responsibility also has to fall on the player.

"We are extremely disappointed by his decision to walk out, and then to be criticised, well, we are not going to cop it."

The midfielder has played only two games in the past two years and 27 amid a horror run of hamstring and ankle injuries.

In a further blow, talent identification expert Neville Stibbard said Smith, 23, had the talent to become an AFL star.

"Jesse is a genuine A-grade player," Stibbard said. "He is as good as Brendon Goddard . . . he is an elite talent."

North offered Smith an incentive-based two-year deal but was knocked back and opted not to trade him.

Pickering, a former North Melbourne and Geelong player, linked Smith with the Cats as a potential new home.

Pickering said he "loved" North Melbourne but was critical of its facilities, which will be replaced next month.

"It's a critical year for his career and he doesn't think, after two years of frustration with his ankle and hamstring (injuries), that North is the right spot for him right now," Pickering said on SEN.

"It's got nothing to do with the people there, it's to do with the lack of facilities - which they are trying to get in place."

Genuinely go and **** yourself, Pickers.

We're a happy team at Hawthorn they reckon. It's only because they box up their depressed campaigners and send them to Arden St. If Hay had played it could have been a good pick up.

Lol and we send em our good ones in return... God dammit!

It's Saturday night.

Instead of going out and enjoying myself, I'm googling Jesse Smith. I find an article about his leaving North Melbourne and declaring for the draft. Lo and frickin' behold:

Genuinely go and **** yourself, Pickers.
I for one am shocked at Pickers behavior, normally a man of integrity. :stern look

Waiting patiently by the race at Arden Street in blistering sun for Mark Powell to run out at pre season training until finally, after months, Dean Laidley had to come over and tell me in his trademark caring way:

"He's not coming son, he's just not coming ..."

Only two worth mentioning. Bad drafting/trading happens. Injuries happen. Clubs decide to continue with lanyards/no scarves/no hats. But these two events both had a huge fall-out and both felt like part of the club died:

• Mrs Archer's birthday party - 2002
  • Our "home" Foster's Cup game in Adelaide - 1993

I think I reacted to both with a feeling of depression and sickness. Forget about being in the pre-season - they are the worst two moments of the NMFC in my memory no matter what time of year they happened.

Carey for sure, still can't believe he did it.

Getting Hay...how ****** was that.

Carey for sure. Daylight second.

As for Jonno Hay, I didn't mind the move at the time but I didn't know what Donald McDonald knew (and should have said something about), or should have known.

As for Jonno Hay, I didn't mind the move at the time but I didn't know what Donald McDonald knew (and should have said something about), or should have known.

About Hay's mental health issues?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was told by a former board member that they did have some info re Hay's illness and rejected the suggestion to recruit him. McDonald convinced them at a board meeting that he was 100% ready to fire. Very costly error.

Was told by a former board member that they did have some info re Hay's illness and rejected the suggestion to recruit him. McDonald convinced them at a board meeting that he was 100% ready to fire. Very costly error.

Has made up for it.

The night about 9 months before February 9, 1995 that he cooked Mrs McDonald dinner, turned the lights down low, put some soft music on, danced slowly with her and then took her off to the bedroom has given him some latitude when it comes to this sort of error.

The night about 9 months before February 9, 1995 that he cooked Mrs McDonald dinner, turned the lights down low, put some soft music on, danced slowly with her and then took her off to the bedroom has given him some latitude when it comes to this sort of error.

I thought the magic event happened on RoyalBlue 's couch?

Only two worth mentioning. Bad drafting/trading happens. Injuries happen. Clubs decide to continue with lanyards/no scarves/no hats. But these two events both had a huge fall-out and both felt like part of the club died:

• Mrs Archer's birthday party - 2002
  • Our "home" Foster's Cup game in Adelaide - 1993

I think I reacted to both with a feeling of depression and sickness. Forget about being in the pre-season - they are the worst two moments of the NMFC in my memory no matter what time of year they happened.

what happened in these?

You and MaddAdam are too kind. Donald could have done the right thing with us in relation to Jonno as well.

Still I did manage to see one of the funniest 5 minutes of football ever when he played for us in Tassie and he appeared, how can I say it, ''disoriented''.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back