Would Sydney be tempted to tank?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
No - I dont think either Sydney or Hawthorn would consider "tanking".

Both teams know the importance of keeping good form - particularly when all top 4 teams look like legitimate threats this year.

Additionally, and no offence to Port - but I reckon that, even if Port do beat Freo next week - If Sydney had a choice out of which Geelong/Freo/Port to play in an important final - they would chose Port any day of the week. Port are a very good team who have a bright future, but they have had difficulties with form recently, and unlikely the other 2 teams- do not have a team that has been tested late in September.

when you're the best you don't care who you play. this manipulating the draw is not the action of a winner.
Essendon did it in 2001 and would have won the lot had they not had to face a team with unfair concessions. Sydney face no such opponent.

I don't think Hawthorn will win by 70, not because they don't have the talent but because they won't go at 100% in light of the finals the week after.

I know they are playing Collingwood's VFL team essentially, but there will be young players who are playing for a spot on the list, or more trade value, or to not get delisted etc.

Sydney will approach the game as a tune up before finals. 100% endeavor but perhaps a soreness late change to someone like Jack.

Sydney will approach the game as a tune up before finals. 100% endeavor but perhaps a soreness late change to someone like Jack.

They wont flirt with form, but wont be at 100% either IMO

Sydney will rest anyone with niggles for this match, and those stars that do play will be managed and given more rest than they usually would. Not to do this would be a missed oppertunity for Longmire. I'd also say that players may second guess their attack on the ball and man with one eye of being fit for finals and a premiership medallion.

They wont go out to lose and they may even play a near 100% team. But what I can see happening is that Sydney could find themselves 5 or so goals down early against a desperate opponent and wont push themselves hard to win, due to their being no recussions from losing. If Richmond get the break on the in the first half then they will run away and win big. Sydney will either win or get smacked this week.

They wont go out to lose and they may even play a near 100% team. But what I can see happening is that Sydney could find themselves 5 or so goals down early against a desperate opponent and wont push themselves hard to win, due to their being no recussions from losing. If Richmond get the break on the in the first half then they will run away and win big. Sydney will either win or get smacked this week.

If the game is in the balance at 3/4 time I recon richmond will win it. Surely Longmire starts resting a few of his important players late in the game to freshen them up for next week?

Keeping up with the Swans until then is the challenge. Although i'd love it, I don't think we'll blow them away. The players will be nervous, essentially playing an elmination final a week before they start. The run so far has been largely pressure free. Now our destiny is in out own hands the pressure is on.

And the usual Sydney bashers are out. Now if we lose through taking it easy so our players are good for finals we'll be accused of tanking to play geelong.

Just something else to add to the wall of conspiracy theories about the swans.

Pathetic thread.

I think it is very likely the Swans will lose on the weekend as even though I am sure we will not go into the game intending to tank as such I think our players will go into the game knowing that this match does not matter and also knowing that a week later they will be playing finals and want to be as fresh as possible for that. Any team that does not bring it's A or B game can lose to any other team in the AFL and I would be surprised if the Swans even bring our C game on Saturday.

This is one thing the EPL does really well

A lot easier to match fix in soccer though. Good policy by the EPL.

As for the OP, the disrespect shown to the other top 4 sides will not be shared by the club. There are no easy qualifying finals. Full stop.

They could, but I'd be surprised. The idea of tanking to get an 'easier' opponent surely gives that opposition unnecessary ammunition.

I remember in 2012 the dockers were expected to take it easy in the last week, if they lost they would finish 8th and still get a home final because we were locked into fifth. Instead they smashed I think it was Essendon and then went on to beat Geelong away in the first week of the finals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Port thought they had a weak opponent in Sydney in 2004 (we looked scratchy and had multiple injuries). Didn't end well for them.

And the usual Sydney bashers are out. Now if we lose through taking it easy so our players are good for finals we'll be accused of tanking to play geelong.

Just something else to add to the wall of conspiracy theories about the swans.

Pathetic thread.
It's as much people wanting Sydney to tank so credibility can be taken away from a Tiger win, so forget what internet people think. If you lose people will say you tanked on the day regardless. Having said that, I don't for one minute think the club will tank, although I believe that, possibly, some individuals may save themselves for finals. You'd hate to miss out on a finals campaign or a premiership by being out injured. Trust me I know, although at a lower level than AFL.

Just on tanking for the "easier" oppostion...

Surely you would want the harder opposition at a time when you have the double chance, as opposed to the prelim.

... or the GF, if that's the case, even better for Sydney.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back