Would Sydney be tempted to tank?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would we want to throw away a minor premiership?

Assuming Geelong and Fremantle stay in the same positions, I think it's fair to say that neither Sydney or Hawthorn would be too heartbroken if their places on the ladder switched.

Tank? No. But if it gets to midway through the third quarter and the Sydney v Richmond game is still close, I think it's reasonable to assume that Richmond's endeavour might be slightly higher than the Swans, considering what the game means to both teams.

The Geelong result was an anomaly. They are a much better team than what they showed that night, and we're not as good as we looked that night. Geelong/Port/Freo imo are equally dangerous QF matchups. We'll start favourite at home against anyone but each have the capacity to upset us if we're a little off. Port's pace and fitness, Freo's manic defense, Geelongs sublime movement through the middle.

Gotta beat three quality teams in a row to win a flag. I doubt the Swans are worried about what order we need to play them.

when you're the best you don't care who you play. this manipulating the draw is not the action of a winner.
This. Sydney back themselves against everyone. Every team in the eight does. It's idiotic supporters who think otherwise (and yes, my confidence dropped through the floor when the Swans knocked off their bogey teams Adelaide and Collingwood two years ago...anyone but them, I thought...!)...

A mate up here barracks for West Coast (the only Eagles supporter I know, actually...pretty rare in this corner of the world). He's a bit worried but very excited about the weekend coming up, and his biggest fear is that the Tigers or Magpies will win and make Sunday a non event. I've reassured him though that his season should be very much alive by 1pm Sunday, and more than likely he can watch them take out GC, and then sit back and hope Adelaide don't win by the required margin to oust them two hours later. He's got an awesome last round. For many teams in the comp, this round is of interest ALL weekend and it's because they don't do the EPL thing and play all the games at once. Like the Brownlow count, everything should be contrived in R23 to draw out the suspense...works for me...

A mate up here barracks for West Coast (the only Eagles supporter I know, actually...pretty rare in this corner of the world). He's a bit worried but very excited about the weekend coming up, and his biggest fear is that the Tigers or Magpies will win and make Sunday a non event. I've reassured him though that his season should be very much alive by 1pm Sunday, and more than likely he can watch them take out GC, and then sit back and hope Adelaide don't win by the required margin to oust them two hours later. He's got an awesome last round. For many teams in the comp, this round is of interest ALL weekend and it's because they don't do the EPL thing and play all the games at once. Like the Brownlow count, everything should be contrived in R23 to draw out the suspense...works for me...

Up to you really you could force us to get a result :p

For Hawthorn to overtake Sydney on the ladder it would require the Tigers to win and Hawthorn to beat Collingwood by about 100 points. I can't see it happening.

Sydney 18-4
Hawthorn 17-5
Geelong 17-5
Fremantle 16-6
Port Adelaide 14-8
North Melbourne 14-8
Essendon 13-9
WCE 11-11

Friday (N)
Hawthorn vs Geelong (MCG)

Saturday
North Melbourne vs Essendon (MCG)

Saturday (N)
Sydney vs Fremantle (ANZ)

Sunday
Port Adelaide vs WCE (Adelaide Oval)

It's admirable that for what is essentially a dead rubber they aren't resting blokes.

That said if a key player pings a hammy or gets reported you would have to say poor management.

It will all be hindsight stuff, but we'll wait and see.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's an intriguing possibility but I doubt that Sydney really fears either Freo or Port and would have no problems playing them in the first round. Also sets up a much easier preliminary final, assuming that the Hawks overcome the Cats.

Anyone who thinks the Swans will go full tilt at this game are kidding themselves. If they go in with the side as named they have to make sure Franklin, Tippett, Goodes etc. get through unscathed. Richmond just need to make it a physical, bruising game and force the Swans to back off. Swans have nothing to gain and everything lose - Tigers the opposite.

Up to you really you could force us to get a result :p
Nothing against Richmond, but anyone who's taken a serious and objective look at their winning run would see that the standard of opposition is amazingly fortuitous. They will get their arses handed to them on Saturday. It's tantalising though - I almost feel sorry for Collingwood (their injury list is THAT BAD!), so a Richmond upset (to shut me up) if it follows a murdering of the Magpies could get us three minor flags in a row...footy is all about beating the chest...

Depends how Friday Night goes really. Wouldn't be surprised if Sydney utilised a few of their emergency players if Top spot is assured as long as they don't lose by 60 points or something. The Franklin, Tippett, Jack, etc types are probably in line for a vest of some variety or a late change me thinks.

Just on tanking for the "easier" oppostion...

Surely you would want the harder opposition at a time when you have the double chance, as opposed to the prelim.

Actually, I think it's better to take the weaker team in the qualifying final (only home advantage) to get a better chance of winning it.
Meeting the stronger team in the preliminary final, they will have a bigger advantage (home + 1 week rest).

Would rather play winner of freo port who have played a finals like game more than likely in the wet, rather than the cats who'll easily take care of brisbane down at the cattery.

The last round offers an interesting dimension, with Sydney possibly being given the ability to choose who they play in the first week of finals.

So will they propose from next year that the AFL does what the English Super League (Rugby League) do, in that the Minor Premier actually has first choice over who they play in the finals series week 1?

Funny game this one. Weather still a big factor...forecast has improved but it sure knows how to rain lately.
I havent seen much talk about the importance of the weather this week but it is a huge factor...it isnt just Longmire hoping for fine weather..both Lyon and Hinkley will be as well. None of the top 8 wants General Soreness to win a hard fought close game in the wet this week...player management vital.
The draw throws out weird s**t sometimes...Sydney would much rather play any of Hawth/Geel/Freo/Port this week. A top 4 mob would at least be sensible/practical about this round, but the Tiges MUST be manic about the game and wont giveashit. Plus they are effectively 1st on the ladder for the last 1/3rd of the season.
Would argue that this cannot be a 30+pt scoreline to Sydney...can only be a close game in the end, or a Tiges win. Either way common sense says the Tiges will end up being in this game all the way to the end. Sydney will have the benefit of already knowing % if Hawth murders the Pies. Why would you do anything but scale things down and nurse players in the last qtr ? If both well ahead or well behind you'd do the same player management thing yeah ?
So many "ifs" in this game it has turned into a cracker....not just coz it has turned out to be 1st v 2nd over the last 1/3rd of the season.
So Yepp, it is possible that Sydney could "tank" :p Weather and other results means wont have any more of a clue what Longmire has in mind until after tonights game.

So let me get this straight... Its 11pm and I'm a little slow today.

So Sydney, playing for top of the ladder, guaranteed home final and wanting to continue their run of form, extending their streak to 5 wins in a row, will throw form out the window against a resurgent Richmond team that have beaten mostly spuds in their 8 game win streak?

Yeah I'll believe that when my s**t turns purple and smells like rainbow sherbert.

Roby has already written them off, predicted the Tigers by 30. What an idiot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back