Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 13, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
Some people have been talking absolute crap about where this club is at over the past few weeks. The reality is that we were hit hard with injury over the past 12 months and still managed to finish with as many wins as any side in the comp.

Are we good enough at the moment ? No
Are we far of the best ? No
Can we become the best ? Yes no doubt about it

We need 2 things to happen

1.Duncan,Caddy,Christensen,Guthrie,Motlop,Ghs,Murdoch and Blicavs all need to go up a level.This is a core group of players with massive potential .

2.To get a fit and healthy list that can play 4 quarters of high intensity football.Something that we haven't had for the past 3 seasons.

The gap between us and the best is oh so small and plenty of sides recently have been knocked out in a semi and gone onto win the flag the following year.

If you like to have a bet now would be the time to have a punt on the cats before the trade period

I hope you're right OP I really do.

Have a feeling this thread isn't going to end well:(

We came 5th this year and have the potential to get better next year , it's just common sense that we can win the premrship.To be honest I am confident if we don't win he flag in 2015 we will in 2016

We came 5th this year and have the potential to get better next year , it's just common sense that we can win the premrship.To be honest I am confident if we don't win he flag in 2015 we will in 2016
I like your optimism, I'm reserving my judgement until after the free agency and trade period.

My comment about this thread not ending well, is that deservedly or undeservedly pessimism has taken over this board atm. Once those minded individuals find this thread you'll get a vastly differing opinion.

I love the passion but head says that this thread is a bit like...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yes,_Virginia,_there_is_a_Santa_Claus

The last three years we have said.. we need this to happen for A , this for B , for C and D to stay fit ...etc.

Well , imo , we can not win it unless we add pnp players. Just getting two kids in the draft that do not contribute in 2015 will not help us win it

If Vardy and Menzel come back and play to their level , if we keep our rucks fit and have a ruck that's competitive , if all the youngish guys take another step up , if the older guys stay fit an do not diminish too much......... yes then bring on Santa. Bit too much of a stretch for me.

So yes we can win it if we add to our best 22 from outside the club and make us a legit threat again.

The last three years we have said.. we need this to happen for A , this for B , for C and D to stay fit ...etc.

Well , imo , we can not win it unless we add pnp players. Just getting two kids in the draft that do not contribute in 2015 will not help us win it

If Vardy and Menzel come back and play to their level , if we keep our rucks fit and have a ruck that's competitive , if all the youngish guys take another step up , if the older guys stay fit an do not diminish too much......... yes then bring on Santa. Bit too much of a stretch for me.

So yes we can win it if we add to our best 22 from outside the club and make us a legit threat again.
I've seen you mention it a few times now and I'm genuinely baffled/intrigued/confused. What is PnP??

I like your optimism, I'm reserving my judgement until after the free agency and trade period.

My comment about this thread not ending well, is that deservedly or undeservedly pessimism has taken over this board atm. Once those minded individuals find this thread you'll get a vastly differing opinion.

Imagine if we pick up Frawly and Clark ? Man am I excited

I think some Geelong supporters believe that if we don't have a side that's as good as 07-11 that we can't win a premiership , this is just false,most premiership sides are not close to being that awesome

1.Duncan,Caddy,Christensen,Guthrie,Motlop,Ghs,Murdoch and Blicavs all need to go up a level.This is a core group of players with massive potential .

2.To get a fit and healthy list that can play 4 quarters of high intensity football.Something that we haven't had for the past 3 seasons.

That as well as McCarthy proving to be a gun, Walker becoming a true power forward, the new 21yo ruck we add becoming the next Mumford.

It's possible but one awful lot of stuff has to go right.

Take Cowan. I saw him play live in a Nab cup game [ full game format] and do very well indeed vs a "hot Carlton midfield" in his first or second year. He can play and I understand the MC being willing to gamble one more year on him. If he repeats what I saw that day we have the missing mid.

Winning premierships is not easy everything has to come together at the right time. The odds would have to be very juicy to put a lobster on them right now.

Some people have been talking absolute crap about where this club is at over the past few weeks. The reality is that we were hit hard with injury over the past 12 months and still managed to finish with as many wins as any side in the comp.

The gap between us and the best is oh so small and plenty of sides recently have been knocked out in a semi and gone onto win the flag the following
year.

If you like to have a bet now would be the time to have a punt on the cats before the trade period

The gap between us and Hawthorn is huge. Hell there is a gap between us and north.

ALOT of if's have to happen. Plus a lot of luck. I like your optimism, I really do but from what I've seen from Geelong this year, we are a fair way off the pace.

I just think we are not that far of it ,in an 18 team competition we came 5th. I acknowledge that hawthorn are currently better than us but out of the 12 quarters we played against them this year we matched or beat them for 8.

The gap between us and Hawthorn is huge. Hell there is a gap between us and north.

ALOT of if's have to happen. Plus a lot of luck. I like your optimism, I really do but from what I've seen from Geelong this year, we are a fair way off the pace.

I think ATM four sides are better than us hawks,swans,port,freo .I think north just got us because inquiries and fitness took a toll on us

A lot needs to go right. We have a good core but it is not big enough or well developed enough yet. Not saying it can't or won't be at one point but 2015 might be a bit early. And we need the injury juju to piss right off and let us go unabated for about 18 months. We are due there.

And we need to get games into the younger blokes more regularly. Im not saying the Vets get the arse - the yahve to teach the new blokes how it goes in real fire situations, but they need to be out there doing it too.

Go Catters

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just think we are not that far of it ,in an 18 team competition we came 5th. I acknowledge that hawthorn are currently better than us but out of the 12 quarters we played against them this year we matched or beat them for 8.

Again love your attitude , wish I could have it. I have rarely been accused of being a glass half full type guy. It might not even be Hawks next year , could be Port, could be Swans, could be another bolter. For to long we have just done enough , we have played in a way that has tried to conserve , to make the most of etc because we knee we were thin. Gees our second halve this year were atrocious.

No we can't. We've hit the curve.

Is this a troll thread?

Here is a quick analysis of our list

Rucks - 2 injury prone no1 rucks neither good enough currently to compete with the best, no2 rucks = blicavs who isn't good enough to compete with the best no2 rucks. We basically have the worst ruck list in the comp.

Midfield - Lacking enough good inside mids, Caddy, GHS and Guthrie are 2-4 years from competing with the top midfields. Johnson is almost cooked and Christensen is injury prone. We do have some good outside mids but the midfield as a group lacks enough quality.

Defence - Good KPDs but too many and all are too slow. Our defence is too old and slow as a group. Thurlow and Bews aren't going to be guns next year. If Brown/Hamling come in for Mackie neither has enough experience.

Forwards - Basically Hawkins. Brown/Kersten/Vardy/Walker are too young and inexperienced to have an impact in finals. Bartel is cooked. Murdoch doesn't do enough. McCarthy isn't experienced enough.

Our list consists of 9 guys over 29 who have been there and done that, they are old and battered. We have 4 guys in Simpson, Menzel, Cowan and Vardy who are pretty much always injured and little chance to come good (certainly wont be next year). Another big part of our list is too young and inexperienced.

Port, Hawthorn, Sydney and Freo are all much better than us. We wouldn't come close to any in a final.

We are probably on par or below the likes of North, WCE, Adelaide and GC.

If we go with the oldies next year and pickup Frawley/Clark or whoever we might finish 3rd at best(with few injuries).

If we do the right thing and play kids over oldies then we will most likely miss finals.

The gap between us and the best is oh so small and plenty of sides recently have been knocked out in a semi and gone onto win the flag the following year.

It's not crap, that's a thing called reality.

What you're talking is all hypothetically and best case scenario, but is also crap.

Our so called best is a myth, we might gain momentum over a team, but it's not going to be sustained for 4 qtrs.

We got no where near Hawks,Swans, Port, Freo (game 1) which have a better "best Footy" then us.

Is this a troll thread?

party-pooper.jpg

Totally agree with that - the Cats era is over - and it will be interesting if a few key Geelong key players who are in their prime think the same way

You take Hawkins ( dont know when he is contracted to ) Pt Adelaide should be making a massive bid for Hawkins- with him - they could win multiple flags

And you couldnt blame them - just as Scott - Bartel- Sellwood - arrogantly went over there to poach Boak - who knows they might return the compliment with Big Tom

Totally agree with that - the Cats era is over - and it will be interesting if a few key Geelong key players who are in their prime think the same way

You take Hawkins ( dont know when he is contracted to ) Pt Adelaide should be making a massive bid for Hawkins- with him - they could win multiple flags

And you couldnt blame them - just as Scott - Bartel- Sellwood - arrogantly went over there to poach Boak - who knows they might return the compliment with Big Tom

If they get Ryder, they won't have cap room for Hawkins.

If Menzel, Vardy and Cowan stand up and play to their best. If our oldies show more than they did this year. If we get Clark to help out Hawkins and Frawley to help out the backs. If we have a good run with injuries. If we find a fit ruckman. So in reality the answer is no.

I think it's next year or bust.

I don't see how we will be better in 2016 with Mackie, Lonergan, Enright, Bartel, Johnson, Kelly, Rivers and possibly Stokes either gone or on their last legs combined with the lack of games we will get into Thurlow, Lang, Bews, Hamling, Kolo, Hartman, Jansen, etc in 2015 with these seniors clogging things up. These kids aren't going to play 5-15 games next year and be elite in 2016. I actually see 2016/17 as when we drop before getting better again in 2018, but that also depends on where the likes of Selwood, Hawkins and Taylor are then as they will be around 30+.

I think it's next year or bust.

I don't see how we will be better in 2016 with Mackie, Lonergan, Enright, Bartel, Johnson, Kelly, Rivers and possibly Stokes either gone or on their last legs combined with the lack of games we will get into Thurlow, Lang, Bews, Hamling, Kolo, Hartman, Jansen, etc in 2015 with these seniors clogging things up. These kids aren't going to play 5-15 games next year and be elite in 2016. I actually see 2016/17 as when we drop before getting better again in 2018, but that also depends on where the likes of Selwood, Hawkins and Taylor are then as they will be around 30+.
I think we can be better in 2016.
My big problem is that I think there are other clubs that will leap frog us no matter what we do.

I was talking to my kids yesterday about grand finals and I said to them. "I don't think you'll see the cats in the grand final for a long time"
Their faces dropped. Almost like "What? Geelong is always one of the top teams"

I tipped us for top 3 this year.
I reckon top 7 would be the spot next year.
And then hope to hang in there in 2016.

Imagine if we pick up Frawly and Clark ? Man am I excited

I think some Geelong supporters believe that if we don't have a side that's as good as 07-11 that we can't win a premiership , this is just false,most premiership sides are not close to being that awesome

I don't believe we need a side as good as 07-11. I do believe we need a side that's better than Hawthorn 2014. On this season's form, are the Cats anywhere near that? No, they're not.

Even with Frawley and Clark (which is fantasy land stuff in itself), there are a lot of holes in the side in key areas, clear fitness problems, lack of an effective gameplan, and the age-gap issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back