Draft Watcher Young Talent Time 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Crows will not take Hibberd and Collins. They need tall forwards and ruckmen, not defenders.

But in my draft, that choice has been made for you with the first round worthy tall forwards all being taken. Better to get a bargain than reach for needs. And a ruckman hasn't been taken that early in years. Could do much worse than adding another elite tall defender to play alongside Talia, which would let Lever play as the third tall. While Hibberd is more than able to play as a tall outside midfielder on a wing, rotating with Smith. Maybe a luxury since you picked up Hampton and Seedsman, but a pretty nice problem to have.

As a SA junior watcher, thoughts on Milera Chris25

Not to where he goes just your opinion on him? I really like what i see

I've become more of a fan as the year has gone on, his league matches in the SANFL really helped in my mind. Nobody in the whole draft group is better than him at finding time and space where there isn't any. That's an elite attribute of his. But I always worried about what role he'd play. I didn't think he won enough of his own ball, but wasn't a natural small in the forward half either. I still think he is a little like Danyle Pearce, in that he needs to be fed the ball and will look good in a winning side but might go missing when the team loses. But he's the guy you want to have the ball, so take him with a first round pick and feed him the ball as much as possible.

But in my draft, that choice has been made for you with the first round worthy tall forwards all being taken. Better to get a bargain than reach for needs. And a ruckman hasn't been taken that early in years. Could do much worse than adding another elite tall defender to play alongside Talia, which would let Lever play as the third tall. While Hibberd is more than able to play as a tall outside midfielder on a wing, rotating with Smith. Maybe a luxury since you picked up Hampton and Seedsman, but a pretty nice problem to have.
They won't let Curnow slip through. And the Crows also have Hartigan, Otten, Cheney and Shaw. Defence isnt their deficiency. Inside midfielders are required more than outside, so Oliver would be a chance.

Ok, so a draftee who spent his final two years of school in Victoria is zoned to a club in NSW.
He's from Leeton NSW Riverina and was placed with the Rebels for his football development as part of the AFL Academy set up was what I understood, as was WA indigenous lad Yestin Eades?

Hi Chris - I don't mind the Collins to crows selection, would give us 3 first round KPDs in our team for the next 10 yrs which is nothing to be sneezed at

Can only see it if weidemann and H McKay are already gone before our pick 13

Think you're a little harsh on H McKay given he's nearly eligible for next year's draft where he would be a consensus 1-3 pick .... He is also a need for us given he is a developing KPF who should be able to 2nd ruck in a few yrs time

He also has 3 years to develop until Jenkins and tex are getting on , reckon we take him at pick 9

I'd be happy with him at 9 and Collins at 13 as you can't beat first round talent KP players

Chris, Crawfie at 11.08am last Tuesday, put up a counter arguement to the Saints taking Mathieson with their first pick. So far you have ignored him. I would also like to see your thoughts.
Personal opinion is why would you go mathieson
when you have dunstan and armitage on the
inside

Time to add some polish , I'd be looking at milera
and Ah Chee

Like the Coughlan selection.
Did not look out of place at VFL level in the games I saw . Hoping and expecting we go one tall key back . Be staggered if we don't

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nice Update. Draft order is a bit shaky after round 2 but that's completely understandable with the complexity of the bidding system.

By my Calculation if Rice is bid for after pick 38 St Kilda will be able to draft a player at pick 38 (or my calcs are shaky, nevertheless). If we had a pick there who do you see us picking up?

Last edited:
Would richmond be interested in Milera as a small forward type player? They were after Motlop as a small forward/midfield player, so maybe they look to the draft for him?

Hi chris, no silvagni?

Getting injured certainly didn't help his chances in terms of my draft, just limits how much I can see of him. He looks a fine player to me, but I just wonder about his role if he does stay around the 190cm mark. Looks a smart player, but a reasonably short 'tall' without any truly elite attributes will struggle to work his way into my thinking. Zaine Cordy went in the fourth round, so I'd expect similar for Silvagni.

Who will Geelong pick

Who knows. I haven't been much of a fan of the Geelong midfield in the past few seasons, pretty slow and boring. Cockatoo and Dangerfield will help, but outside run would be my plan. A midfielder who can kick goals too. They've slowly been trading away or delisting anyone who can do that in recent years. Doesn't help when your first pick is in the 4th round though. Maybe someone like Oleg Markov will still be on the board, or a Jock Cornell or Yestin Eades.

Nice Update. Draft order is a bit shaky after round 2 but that's completely understandable with the complexity of the bidding system.

By my Calculation if Rice is bid for after pick 38 St Kilda will be able to draft a player at pick 38 (or my calcs are shaky, nevertheless). If we had a pick there who do you see us picking up?

I can't remember my exact working out, but I had Brisbane bid at 39 and St Kilda moved up from about 42 to take him. If the Saints did have a pick there, I'd probably go someone like a David Cunningham for more speed, or a Nash Holmes or Cameron Hewett just as best available all round midfield type.

Would richmond be interested in Milera as a small forward type player? They were after Motlop as a small forward/midfield player, so maybe they look to the draft for him?

I imagine Richmond would love Milera. I tend to think he's more of an outside midfielder than small forward, but I can see him being good for about 20 goals a season. From an outsiders perspective, it seems like a bit of run and creativity would be Richmond's biggest need. Need that point of difference to really start challenging. So Milera would be an option. I just stayed true to Richmond's recent recruiting by going with Tucker.

Dyson Budarick and Mitchell Cox I think are both very underrated. I watch there game in Queensland against each other, both won there own footy, were clean and showed good decision making. It's a shame that players like these in the TAC system don't get praised like others do...
What are your thoughts?

He's from Leeton NSW Riverina and was placed with the Rebels for his football development as part of the AFL Academy set up was what I understood, as was WA indigenous lad Yestin Eades?
And should be odds on favorite to win the rising star next year. Hopper is a ready made star.

Dyson Budarick and Mitchell Cox I think are both very underrated. I watch there game in Queensland against each other, both won there own footy, were clean and showed good decision making. It's a shame that players like these in the TAC system don't get praised like others do...
What are your thoughts?
I have no idea who those 2 are but 3 of the top 10 picks will likely come from NSW. If these 2 had impressed in the state carnivals I'm sure they'd be getting talked up.

Hey Chris do you think that Freo selecting Skinner with their first pick would be a reach? what are your thoughts on Skinner and also could you give us a bit more info on him and what type of player he is? thanks

For what its worth Chris I think your phantom will end up being the most accurate and realistic come draft night! Well done.....

Can't see any scenario in which Hipwood is not bid on till pick 21....Top 10 talent, easily....The 3rd best tall behind Weitering/Schache.

My only problem with Hipwood is what role he plays. He doesn't look like a forward to me, seems more comfortable down back with the play in front of him. But whichever end of the ground he ends up at, I think he'll be more of a third tall. Lachie Hansen is the comparison I'm going with. Hipwood could be a very good roaming tall and intercept mark down back. But I personally prefer the likes of Weideman and Collins.

The most intriguing role for me would be as a Ryder type ruckman. But I'm not sure Hipwood has the game for that either.

Hey Chris do you think that Freo selecting Skinner with their first pick would be a reach? what are your thoughts on Skinner and also could you give us a bit more info on him and what type of player he is? thanks

I think our first pick would be about the top of Skinner's range. Personally, I'd be happy with taking him there. He's big, strong and plays like it. I think he'd be a consensus 15-25 pick if it weren't for injuries. Good mark and attacks the ball hard, I personally would try him up forward first because of that. He looks the type who'd demand the ball as a forward, something not many in this draft do.

For what its worth Chris I think your phantom will end up being the most accurate and realistic come draft night! Well done.....

That'd be nice! Historically, mine are usually the most inaccurate because I don't do late updates following media reports and rumours.

Chris25 - Who are the top 3 natural forward above 190cm's ? Ideally great leading patterns, skills and speed.

Burton is the obvious one, who else comes to mind.

Burton is the obvious one. For me, he's clearly the most talented forward in the draft - more so than Schache and Weideman. Pre injury Burton was just as good as pre injury Stringer, and I don't see any reason why (provided there are no mishaps with the leg) he couldn't be at a Stringer or Gunston level. He's a good mark, strong with his body and moves well around the ground. Still a top 10 talent easily for me.

Otherwise? Maybe not a lot in this draft, leaving out Schache and Weideman who'll go in the top 8 or so picks. For natural forward ability, I'd go with Harry McKay and Himmelberg. Then it's a bit of a drop off, probably to Matthew Allen next.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back