Your biggest fear?

Remove this Banner Ad

Spiders - as per everybody sensible.:cry:

As I get older, I notice my fear of heights has really ramped up. Flying is fine - but standing anywhere near a cliff, charlifts are terrifying, but the worst, THE WORST - is watching other people around heights.. I think it's because I have no control over what they are doing, and I can only see bad things happening. Wife or kids standing near an edge is probably the most alarming.

I cannot watch those videos of people climbing the radio towers etc.

watch that

Kidney stones, Spiders and Snakes. I have seen some of my older mates get kidney stones, Some of the worst pain I have seen a person go through.

I used to be scared of heights but doing some time as a scaffolder got rid of that....Used to be scared of needles until I got ink.

My other huge fear apart from flying is cancer, heart attacks and strokes. Scare the crap out of me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Steep heights.

I'm not afraid of heights, like, Bungee jumping seems fine to me and I've lived in an apartment on the 15th floor before.

But steep heights, like the ******* escalators in Melbourne's Parliament station. I can't look down, and I grip onto the side for dear life every time.

I s**t my pants every time I'm walking up or down stairs with narrow steps, I can just imagine myself falling the whole time.

Heights however I would say its not as debilitating as it seems to be for others. I can generally get through whatever it is I'm doing at height, Eg. abseiling, but I do get a bit nervy.

F***ing spiders.... just anything bigger than a daddy long legs is :confused:

Not a phobia, but flies probably scare me more than most people.

They're just so ******* gross, I hate looking at a fly close up.

Even that Simpsons episode where Bart swaps bodies with a fly, and it's Bart's body with a fly's head gives me goosebumps.

And, not sure what they are, but outside and there'll be hundreds of these small black bugs all flying in one area, and you happen to walk into it. ******* gross.

fPFWjrB.jpg

This... This is my greatest fear!

I never really relate to myself as a claustrophobe, but that scene in Aliens when Bishop is inside that pipe tunnel, oh god! I also remember a similar scene in the mid 90s show Earth 2, where a guy was crawling along a spider-infested tunnel under the ocean floor. Those sort of hopelessly confined predicaments would utterly destroy me. I am fine inside a sleeping bag, a plane, a tiny room, submarine, etc, but to be trapped, vulnerable, uncomfortable and utterly alone, would be the end of me. I guess its similar to being buried alive, but in some ways at least you are lying down and somewhat comfortable. It's when the inescapable confinement is also uncomfortable that its absolutely unbearable. For example, imagine being locked into a locker/cabinet and stuck in the crouched position all weekend long. Basically, to be helpless (physically immobilised) at the hands of something that wants to hurt me. To be incapable of preventing oncoming injury, just awful.

Waking up to paralysis or locked-in syndrome would be absolutely spine-chilling, but you'd get over it eventually. Similarly, as someone who lives alone, if I woke up during the night and saw someone standing there, I'd just about have a heart attack. Same with in the shower. There is just something about that psychological vulnerability, and its the reason why horror films love the bedroom at night and the bathroom. When you live alone in an inaccessible, high rise apartment, the impossibility of the situation just amplifies the horror.

Also not a big fan of snakes (but not to the point where it would stop me going into thick grass or bush), and go through phases when public speaking is difficult (depending on the context).

I also have a somewhat irrational phobia of cheese, which was stronger when I was younger. It manifests itself like a germophobia, don't like coming within contact if it can be avoided.

On open water, I think that is something you work through with familiarity. I remember as an 8yo my first visit to the Sydney Aquatic Centre, and the entire olympic pool is about 5m deep. I just could not handle it. But as a kid that did a lot of nippers and pool swimming, I had to work through it quickly. Would not bother me in the slightest nowadays, although I'm sure if I was alone in open water for an extended period of time (stranded at sea), that I would have to keep myself in check and stop my imagination from running wild.

Last edited:
Spiders - as per everybody sensible.:cry:

As I get older, I notice my fear of heights has really ramped up. Flying is fine - but standing anywhere near a cliff, charlifts are terrifying, but the worst, THE WORST - is watching other people around heights.. I think it's because I have no control over what they are doing, and I can only see bad things happening. Wife or kids standing near an edge is probably the most alarming.

I cannot watch those videos of people climbing the radio towers etc.

Steep heights.

I'm not afraid of heights, like, Bungee jumping seems fine to me and I've lived in an apartment on the 15th floor before.

But steep heights, like the ******* escalators in Melbourne's Parliament station. I can't look down, and I grip onto the side for dear life every time.

I s**t my pants every time I'm walking up or down stairs with narrow steps, I can just imagine myself falling the whole time.
Lol, so this. Steep with narrow steps is the worse. Some of those escalators get me to. Like its all manageable, not debilitating, but you can not wait until its over.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back