Your favourite game from each genre

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 23, 2007
Bay 131 @ (Port) Adelaide Oval
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Magpies
Similar to the Best.Game.Ever thread but this is your best from each genre of all time....OF ALL TIME.

Platformer
Sonic 2 - Was between this and Sonic 3 & Knuckles but Sonic 2 played faster, had better level design and better music. Donkey Kong Country 2 an honorable mention

Racing
Daytona USA - the king of arcade racers, remember going to lock ins at timezone and would just sit on this all session. Hired a couple of machines a few years back and mixed with alcohol, was even more fun :thumbsu:

Action
GTA San Andreas - This was a hard one to choose but in the end it came down to what i played the most and just the stupid fun s**t you could do on this game with parachutes, skyscrapers, riding mountain bikes off the tallest point in the game etc etc, so this gets the nod, honorable mentions to Max Payne, Blast Corps & Red Dead Redemption

Adventure
Ocarina Of Time - nuff said

Shooter
Goldeneye 64 - Grew up with all the classics such as doom, wolfenstein, duke nukem, quake etc etc but nothing beat local multiplayer sessions on this baby. 1 hit kills with slappers only was a favorite amongst mates

Puzzle
Portal - not your traditional puzzle game of moving blocks or matching colored bubbles and thats what was great about it, memorable character with witty lines and a funny credits song helps too

Fighting
Killer Instinct - Yep, in the glory days of mortal kombat and street fighter i was playing killer instinct more (wasnt a fan of street fighter but i did enjoy mortal kombat)

Sports
FIFA 98 Road To World Cup - indoor soccer ftw also scoring 99 goals a game, its too realistic nowadays

RPG
FF7 - Was never an rpg player till this game came out. Got me hooked enough to finish it a few times :D one of the better FF games as far as story and characters are concerned

Sim
Sims 2 - trapping some poor soul inside 4 walls and watching them piss themselves and eventually die ftw, honorable mention to theme park and theme hospital

Rhythm
Parappa The Rapper - catchy songs and the way words were linked to certain buttons resulted in hilarious remixes even if it meant failing the level badly

Beat em up
TMNT arcade - HUGE!!!! TMNT fan as a kid and 4 player on this game was some of the most memorable arcade experiences

Survival Horror
Resident Evil - The first time those dogs jumped through the window :eek::eek::eek:, the final battle avoiding tyrant till the rocket launcher dropped, also speed runs when you unlocked the rocket launcher were fun, probably my most finished game ever, easily over 25 times :cool:

Action - GTA: Vice City: tommy and the 80s setting makeit better than SA imo

FPS - Team Fortress 2: this is one of maybe half a dozen games that have actually managed to make me laugh, and i love the unique gameplay compared to games like call of duty or halo

Sports - NFL 2k5: it's been nearly a decade, and this game is still better than [strike]roster update[/strike] madden 11

RPG - FF7

Platformer - Ratchet and Clank 2

Strategy - Rome: Total War/Age of Empires: can't split them. both great games

Platformer
Donkey Kong Country 2. SNES

Racing
Mario Kart. N64

Action
Assassins Creed 2. Xbox 360

Adventure
Ocarina Of Time. N64

Shooter
Perfect Dark. N64

Puzzle
Portal. Xbox 360

Fighting
Tekken. PS2

Sports
Madden 11. Xbox 360

RPG
Star Wars: Knight of the Old Republic. Xbox

Rhythm
DJ Hero. Xbox 360

Beat em up
Golden Axe. Arcade

Survival Horror
Left for Dead. Xbox 360

Turn Based Strategy
Civilization V. PC

Real TIme Strategy
Age Of Mythology. PC
Honorable mention to Halo Wars though. Easily the best made console strategy game.

Survival Horror
Left for Dead. Xbox 360

I really don't think I could be any angrier than I am now.

Platformer
Castle of Illusion (PS1)

Racing
Gran Turismo 2 (PS1)

Action
Resident Evil 4 (PS2)

Adventure
Suikoden 2 (PS1)

Shooter
Deadspace (PC)

Puzzle
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (DS)

Fighting
Mortal Kombat 2 (MD)

Sport
Sensible Soccer (PC)

RPG
Baldur's Gate 2 (PC)

Survival Horror
Resident Evil 2 (PS1)

Turned Based Strategy
Civilization 2 (PC)

Real Time Strategy
Lemmings (PC)

Platformer
LBP

Racing
Not much of a racing person...
Burnout: Paradise probably

Action
God of War 3

Adventure
Uncharted 2

Shooter
Killzone 2

Puzzle
Portal 2

Fighting
Super Smash Bros. Brawl or Tekken 5

Sports
FIFA 99, Rockafeller Skank made that game

RPG
FFX

Sim
Lemonade Tycoon perhaps? Haven't played too many sim games

Beat em up
Double Dragon

RTS
Age of Empires 2

TBS (Turn Based Strategy)
Advance Wars: Dual Strike easily

Party
Crash Bash

I only started gaming during the latter parts of the PS1 era so unfortunately I haven't played most of the classics on offer through this thread. Since getting old enough to get a job a year and a bit ago though I now have enough money to slowly build up a retro collection. First on the list is a SNES and NBA Jam.

Platformer
I've only played a few platform games but the one that stands out the most would have to be Duke Nukem (1991)

Racing
Never been a fan of racing games but i always enjoyed Colin Mcrae.

Action
That's an easy one Batman: Arkham Asylum. PS3

Adventure
Ocarina Of Time. N64

Shooter
Im not sure if this belongs in this category but it involves guns so im putting it in anyway: Metal Gear Solid from the first one on PS1 to Metal Gear Solid 4 and im pretty sure i will love the new one if it ever gets released.

Puzzle
Portal. Xbox 360

Fighting
Tekken. PS2

Sports
Fifa 11. PS3

RPG
Dragon Age. PS3

Rhythm
Rock Band. Xbox 360

Beat em up
Final Fight. Xbox 360

Survival Horror
Silent Hill (Any of them)

Turn Based Strategy
Civilization V. PC

Real TIme Strategy
Warcraft 3. PC

Platformer
Sonic 2 (MD)

Racing
Sega Rally (SS)

Action
Max Payne 2 (PC)

Adventure
Fallout 3 (360)

Shooter
Halo 3 (360)

Puzzle
Columns (MD)

Fighting
Street Fighter 2 (probably SNES, just shadows MD version)

Sport
NBA Jam (MD)

RPG
Mass Effect 2 (360)

Survival Horror
Resident Evil 2 (PS)

Real Time Strategy
Warcraft 2 (Saturn)

Sim
Theme Park (Saturn)

Platformer
Alex Kidd in Miracle World (SMS) - The best and worst game ever, depending on whether you were trying to play California Games or not at the time.

Racing
Mario Kart 64 (N64) - Spent ages perfecting the Wario Stadium shortcut.

Action
Max Payne (PC) - Bullet-time blew my thirteen-year-old mind. Amazingly gritty story line too, now that I'm old enough to appreciate it.

Adventure
Ocarina of Time (N64) - If you listed anything else, you owe it to yourself to buy an N64 on eBay and play this game.

Shooter
007 Goldeneye (N64) - Multiplayer made this game what it was, but there was a lot of fun to be had in single player.

Puzzle
Capture the Flag (PC) - CapFlag was an old DOS-based game of hide and seek. Like the name suggests, you had to explore your opposition territory to take their flag, while protecting your own. I fondly remember being about eight years old and walking into and out of the study every five minutes in games against dad. I understand that I'm drawing a bit of a long bow here but it was very challenging as a kid, I assure you.

Fighting
Super Smash Brothers (N64) - Revolutionary and, like Goldeneye, short, fun, multiplayer crack addiction.

Sport
California Games (SMS) I'd still play this over any recent incarnation by EA Sports.

Cricket 96 (PC - received free for eating WeetBix) is a very close second though. There's a certain quaintness in sports games that use the production team's names for its players. For anyone who's familiar, it was Super Internation Cricket on PC but with some bad video clips (the commentators were hilarious) instead of animations. West Indies were the s**t!

RPG
Pokemon Blue (GB) - Remember when you were eleven and the kid who knew the cable trick was king of the playground? What about the Missing No. glitch? I remember fights over Charizord in the card game at school; Pokemon wasn't just a game, it was a social barometer.

Survival Horror
Nil

Real Time Strategy
Command and Conquer: Red Alert (PC) - Unfortunately for my mate, one of the most delible memories of this game that I have is being told by his mother to let him play it on his own computer when I'd visit.

Sim
Rollercoaster Tycoon (PC) - Surely I'm not the only person who was living out a childhood dream to develop my own theme park.

Platformer
Super Mario Bros 3. classic.

Racing
F1 2010. though racing in race is poor, racing time trial, and just driving the car is fun.
Shooter
Goldeneye 64 - 4 player multiplayer which still rocks today, 10 years old. nuff said.

Puzzle/Adventure
Zelda 64 and twilight princess. Going to say they were a puzzle game.
Sports
Soccer- FM 07, or any in that series.
Mentions go to Road to the world cup and FIFA 99, and then PES 5
Other Sport- NBA 2K11, Super International Cricket on the SNES

RPG
Knights of the old republic.

The 4 recent RPG Bioware games(dragon age/s and mass effect/s) have all been very good, but nothing will beat this game, ever.

Sim
Railroad tycoon 2 or any of the Sim City's.

TBS (Turn Based Strategy)
Civ 4/5. cant decide.

Real Time Strategy: AOE 2. See Goldeneye.

Also, dont mind the Europa Universalis series.

Beat em up/Fighting
Double Dragon. Played as a kid, but dont play many Beat them up games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Platformer
Prince of Persia 2, first one i really played. Nostalgia makes it better than it probably was

Racing
Rock'n'nRoll Racing on SNES, epic win

Action
GTA San Andreas - Sheer amount of stuff to do and things to muck around with wins out.

Sports
NBA Jam, he's on fire!

Adventure
Ocarina Of Time - Just rad, was ridiculously hard in some parts but the payoff was worth it.

Honourable mention to Sid Meiers Pirates!. So much fun, yet so simple.

Shooter
Goldeneye 64 - Amazing single player, even better multiplayer.

Puzzle
Portal , hate puzzle games, this was really good though

Fighting
Street Fighter 2, no think brainer.

RPG
Baldurs Gate 2, IMO the benchmark which all RPG's should be measured.

RTS
Age of Empires 2, well balanced, massive improvements from the original, fun to play, easy to be good, hard to master.

Strategy
Europa Universalis 3 - Play any country from 1399-1820, so in depth it takes a week or so of playing to even understand everything. Pretty much endless replayability.

Puzzle
Capture the Flag (PC) - CapFlag was an old DOS-based game of hide and seek. Like the name suggests, you had to explore your opposition territory to take their flag, while protecting your own. I fondly remember being about eight years old and walking into and out of the study every five minutes in games against dad. I understand that I'm drawing a bit of a long bow here but it was very challenging as a kid, I assure you.

Agree with a lot of your choices but in particular this one. Great game!

Platformer:
Donkey Kong Country.

Racing:
Diddy Kong Racing, Mario Kart.

Action:
God of War Series, Kingdom Hearts Series.

Sports:
Fifa (any), Super International Cricket.

Adventure:
Red Dead Redemption, Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood

Shooter:
Half-Life 2

RPG:
Final Fantasy IX, Mass Effect 2.

Puzzle:
Portal

Fighting:
Marvel vs Capcom 2, Tekken 5, or UFC Undisputed 2010.

Sim:
Theme Park

RTS:
Age of Empires 2

Turn Based:
Civ 2

Rhythm:
Guitar Hero 3

Beat Em Up:
Marvel Super heroes: War of the Gems

Survival Horror:

Resident Evil 4.

Platformer:
Donkey Kong Country.

Racing:
Diddy Kong Racing, Mario Kart.

Action:
God of War Series, Kingdom Hearts Series.

Sports:
Fifa (any), Super International Cricket.

Adventure:
Red Dead Redemption, Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood

Shooter:
Half-Life 2

RPG:
Final Fantasy IX, Mass Effect 2.

Puzzle:
Portal

Fighting:
Marvel vs Capcom 2, Tekken 5, or UFC Undisputed 2010.

Sim:
Theme Park

RTS:
Age of Empires 2

Turn Based:
Civ 2

Rhythm:
Guitar Hero 3

Beat Em Up:
Marvel Super heroes: War of the Gems

Survival Horror:

Resident Evil 4.

Fricking good taste :thumbsu:

Platformer:
Crash Bandicoot

Racing:
Mario Kart (any)

Action:
Metal Gear Solid

Sports:
Fifa (any), Shane Warne Cricket 99

Adventure:
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Shooter:
Time Crisis

RPG:
Diablo 2

Fighting:
Tekken

Sim:
Sim City 2000

RTS:
Age of Empires 2

TBS
Heroes of Might and Magic 3, Rome: Total War

Rhythm:
Guitar Hero

Survival Horror:
Resident Evil 2

MMO
World of Warcraft. Come at me

platformer - uh, lode runner? the early version w/ level editor.

puzzle game - myst, or one of those old point + click/fmv types (hell: a cyberpunk thriller / blade runner)... or lode runner.

rts - warzone 2100. play this on lan from time to time.

tbs - civ 2/4, or alpha centauri. or jagged alliance 2, wherever that fits in, so many hours lost on that game.

fight - tekken 4/5/6/tag

shooter - HL 2

sim - theme park. who can forget the vomit chains?

rpg - oblivion

racing - mario kart/muppet racemania

action - GTA: san andreas

I wouldn't necessarily go back and play any of these today. The list is based on games that I loved and pumped hours into at any given stage of my life.

Platformer

Wonder Boy (Sega)

Racing
Mario Kart 64 (N64)

Action
GTA: Vice City (Xbox)

Adventure
Fallout 3 (360)

Shooter
Red Dead Redemption (360)

Fighting/Beat em up
Double Dragon (Sega)

Sport
Road to World Cup 98 (Playstation)

RPG
Morrowind (Xbox)

Strategy
Master of Magic (PC)

Real Time Strategy
Dune 2 (PC)

Sim
Sim City 2000 (PC)

Platformer
Super Mario Bros. 3 for NES.

Racing
Gran Turismo 3 for PS2.

Action
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater for PS2

Adventure
Shadow of the Colossus for PS2

Shooter
Call of Duty 4 for PS3/XBOX 360/PC/Wii

Puzzle
Puzzle Pirates MMO on Miniclip.com PC

Fighting
All bad.

Sports
Madden 2000 I guess for PS2

RPG
Final Fantasy VII for PS1

Sim
Joke?

Rhythm
All bad.

Beat em up
....?

Survival Horror
Resident Evil 4 for PS2/GC

You've got Sim, "Beat em up", Rhythm and no Strategy? Lol.

Strategy
Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos (and DotA) for PC

Platformer
Hmmm not real into platformers maybe crash bandicoot Warped
Racing
Based on enjoyment i would say burnout but based on more of what is the best racing "sim" i would have to say GT 4
Action
A lot of games at least partly fall into this genre but could be called a different one
Im going to say Fallout 3 even though i think its more of a RPG/Shooter i couldnt fit it into those 2 categories and i had to have it somewhere
Adventure
I think the GTA games partly fall under this genre so I Have 2 favourites both from Rockstar

GTA Vice City- loved this game also enjoyed GTA San Andreas But have to give it to the former

And my second Favourite Red Dead Redemption, absolutely brilliant game, So much to do and see, from the great single player story line to just going out and hunting some coyotes, Great Game
Shooter
A tough one, this is probably my favourited genre along with rpg, sports and action/adventure

Single player overall I would say Halflife 2
But for multiplayer it depends on the console for PC I would have to say CS or CSS, this is what pretty much introduced me to online gaming at least fps anyway
But Now i mostly play PS3 and so would hav to say CODBO, liked the online better then the others in the series
Puzzle
Not really my kind of game, Carmen Sandiago from when i was back in school? haha
Fighting
Going to have to say Tekken Tag Team, absolutely loved this game had heaps of fun playing with my brother also the soul calibur games get an honerable mention
Sports
Fifa Games-all, also 2k10/11. These are the only sport games ive found to be worth their original RRP, the rest such as the new afl game or rugby 09 get old much too fast and have limited replayability
RPG
Hmm Another of my favourite genres this is a tough one as there are so many games i have really enjoyed
Firstly Oblivion would have to be up there, If nothing else but for the sheer size of the game, really enjoyed it.
The witcher gets a mention as does Dragon Age Origins ( thought the combat in Dragon Age 2 was improved but the rest of the game a step back from origins)
Also SWKOTOR and Neverwinter Nights
I didnt really get into Mass effect although i played through the whole game, and i dont really consider it an RPG more of a shooter then an RPG
Sim
Not really into Sim Games and cant think of any that i have really loved so ill just go with
Rhythm
BustAGroove, havent played many rythm games and this is the only one ive actually owned a very fun and unique game
Honorable mention to Guitar Hero
Beat em up
Hmm as a kid i was really into wrestling and so used to get all the WWF games and then the WWE games after those, the two i remember out of them all are Smackdown vs Raw and WWE Here comes the pain, honerable mention to Just Bring it
Survival Horror
Resident Evil, although this is a very specific genre
Strategy
Only played RTS games from this genre but i have to say either Rome total war, AOE 2 or Warcraft 3

Platformer
Crash Bandicoot 3 Warped
Such a good game, great series on the PS.

Racing
Crash Team Racing
Again, big fan of Naughty Dog's work with this series. It's a shame the PS2 games sucked ass.

Action
God of War and Kingdom Hearts - saw another poster with the exact same and couldn't agree more.

Adventure
Red Dead Redemption

Shooter
Golden Eye, Halo.
My two favourites.

Puzzle
I haven't played too many puzzle games on consoles, if any, so for some fun there's some great mini games on the PC: Boxworld, Duck Tales, Pipe Dream.

Fighting
Tekken 3

Sports
The Fifa's

RPG
FFX - obviously my favourite of all time.

Beat em up
Fighting Force - I don't know if anyone has played or even heard of this game, but it gave me and my mate hours and hours and hours of fun playing co-op mode. Insanely fun game as a kid.

Wrestling
Smackdown HCTP - This was worthy of a genre simply so I could fit this game in. 6 player multi tap with friends was awesome on the PS2. Could play all night with mates.

Strategy
Age of Empires 2 - For the game itself.
War Craft 3 - For the ridiculously good online custom games that people created, including DOTA etc.

Turn Based Strategy
Worms Armageddon - suprised this hasn't got a mention anywhere. Great game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back