Your Favourite Game Soundtracks

Remove this Banner Ad

When it comes to gaming sometimes the soundtrack is the thing you focus on last, but there are plenty of games out there that have fantastic soundtracks that even improve the overall experience in gameplay. So what are some of your favourites? (Don't include games that borrow soundtracks from their source. eg, Lego Star Wars uses the star wars soundtrack from the movies)

Here are mine
1) Banjo Kazooie - Everything is so hummable, each tune memorable even if it dated now
2) Jak X - As a fan of the Jak series of games, while the combat racing game was different to the normal jak platforming the soundtrack accommodated it well
3) Shovel Knight - While put together to sound retro has some pretty catchy tunes
4) Sim City 3000 - For me, i spent a lot of time in this game, and it really feels like it gets the theme to world building well, as well as the perils of city life.
5) Rachet Gladiator - Very similar to Jak x, captures the environment of the competition well

Hon mentions
6) Paper Mario 64
7) Banjo Tooie
8) Super smash Bros brawl (Soundtrack for parts of the campaign)
9) Super Mario 64
10) Donkey Kong County

Standalone tracks
1) Song of Storms (Zelda)
2) Gruntilda's Lair (Banjo Kazooie)
3) Koopa's Road (Super Mario 64 and later Galaxy)
4) Mute City (F-Zero)
5) Power Grid (Sim City)
6) Far Horizons (Skyrim)
7) Fear Factory (Donkey Kong)
8) Grist for the Mill (Rachet Gladiator)
9) Isle of Hags (Banjo Tooie)
10) Jungle Japes (Donkey Kong)

Zelda: Wind Waker is pretty special and Donkey Kong Country.

My favourites are the bit tunes from the classic arcade era though. Wouldn't call them a soundtrack as that implies and album's worth of materials, but I love them.

For a list that plays by OP's rules.

Metal Gear Solid 2
Mirror's Edge
Life Is Strange
Ori and the Blind Forrest
Splatoon
Sunset Overdrive
Hotline Miami
Resogun
Almost every Final Fantasy but FFVI-FFIX are especially great
Destiny has some great individual pieces of music to it

Mega Man 2 OST has to be up there

CONSTANTLY in my head 30 years after I played it haha

Especially Dr Wily's Castle 1 (it's a banger)

Last edited:
Agree with Big Sauce on Vice City- so many good 80's tracks

a few off the top of my head

Wonderboy on c64
Sensitive on c64- instrumental soundtrack
Slapfight on c64 - de de de de-de de deee :D

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All my favourites are from the 80's.

The top three:
Alex Kidd in miracle world
Zillion
Space Harrier

No others are worthy.
Alex Kidd best included game ever

Listening to Life is Strange while laying down at a pool deck in 30 degree heat in Bali is a magical experience. Every song evokes each moment in the game, so much so that it feels like an actual lived experience.

On another note, although small (8 songs), after playing Tales From the Borderlands I've loved listening to that soundtrack. 'To The Top' is ******* awesome and was a great start to one of the episodes (3?).

I'll have to get some others in this thread onto my spotify list. Always a great thing about game soundtracks is the variety, usually goes through several different types and genres which makes for easy listening.

Skyrim has such a great soundtrack, some of those songs are amazing. Witcher 3 also an honourable mention. But seriously can't go past Banjo Kazooie or Ty The Tasmanian Tiger :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back