Your favourite goal

Remove this Banner Ad

Got to make it two posts. Got a lot of favourites.

SWP v Man United. 4th goal in a 4-1 win. First COMS/Etihad derby

Elano v Newcastle 07/08. Best free kick from one of my favourite players.

Robinho v Chelsea 08/09. Another free kick and a deflection at that. But * me, we had Robinho playing for us.

Adebayor v Arsenal 09/10. Best. Celebration. Ever.

Yaya v United/Stoke 2011 FA Cup final. Had lots of debates over which was the bigger/better goal. I vote the semi, it was a real breakthrough for the club and United desperately wanted to stop us winning silverware.

OK, probably deserves 3 posts.

Dzeko v Man United 11/12. 6th in the "sick swan" game. But it was all about the pass from Silva. It could have been 10, it could have ben TEEEEEEEEN. You lucky bastards. It could have been 10.

Kompany v Man United 11/12. They came playing for a 0-0 but Kompanys winner put us in the box seat for the league. Amazing atmosphere after the match.

Yaya v Newcastle 11/12. Watched this at the pub. When Yaya put us ahead I looked around and saw loads with tears in their eyes. For many of us, that was the first time we realised that with an easy game against QPR at home to come, we were going to win the league. More than any game, that one was as much about the last 30 years as the present.

Aguero v QPR 11/12. Self explanatory.

Nasri v Sunderland 13/14. 2nd goal in minutes and was an absolute cracker to put us ahead in the league cup final.

Special mention to Maloney v Man United (11/12), Pienaar v Man United (11/12), Ba v Liverpool (13/14) and Gayle v Liverpool (13/14) who helped us along the way to a league title.

Will take some time to remember all time favourite goals, but a few Arsenal ones that stick in my head:

Cracking counter attack against the best team in the world finished off by the little Russian:

Nasri v Sunderland 13/14. 2nd goal in minutes and was an absolute cracker to put us ahead in the league cup final.
As much as I hate this campaigner, his goal against United at the Emirates back in his Arsenal days is one of my favourites, countless passes in the buildup moving the defence around, sweet little turn and pass from Fab to set it up and a smashing finish.

Any winners against United stand out, this one is up there for me:

And my favourite ever typical "Arsenal" goal, Vieira's vs Everton in 2005. Triangle passing at its best (skip to 3:50 of the video)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For me it's an absolute no contest. To score the winner in just about the last minute in a derby like this is amazing:

This goal is another one of my favourites. I don't think I've ever been more excited watching a game that doesn't feature a team I follow. It's one of the more remarkable matches in any sport I've seen, if not the most exciting. Everything about it is great; from Aguero not going down when clipped, to the crowd, to Mancini running around like a 15 year old, to Joe Hart fantastic superman celebration to the cross to the Stadium of Light and the crestfallen look on Fat Wayne's face with Phil Jones with his shirt off hugging old whiskey nose until he realises what had just happened at the Etihad. (Although I do prefer the Fox Sports commentary: Aguero! Staggering, just staggering, he's won the leeaaague with 90 seconds of stoppage time to go!)

That Ronaldinho goal against Chelsea is surely among the best goals of all-time. What he does there is just about physically impossible to do. Freakishly good.

That Ronaldinho goal against Chelsea is surely among the best goals of all-time. What he does there is just about physically impossible to do. Freakishly good.
Pretty much. I still don't know how he did that.

I always thought this goal didnt get enough appreciation. Probably buried under all the wonderful goals Suarez was scoring.

Absolute class though.

Also I could make a thread on it's own for ridiculous goals from Gerrard.

Suarez scored some ludicrous goals for us too.

the kun goal i was talking about. delightful little finish. from memory the game also included quite the volley from slippery.

Pepe you stupid, stupid man. Great finish though.

First goals that come to mind for me are this moment of class & ingenuity from Bergkamp vs Newcastle:

Gerrard with the perfect volley vs Middlesbrough:

And while his 2nd goal in this game probably gets more attention, I loved the inevitability of his 1st vs West Ham in the FA Cup final. Everything seemed to move in slow motion in the lead up and while anyone else might have calmly passed it into the bottom corner, ensuring they at least got it on target, you knew that as soon as Gerrard stepped into the frame he was going to be putting a hole in the back of the net (skip to 1:40):

I could have picked any number of goals by this guy but I think this was the moment people realised that Messi had the potential to be considered amongst the best of all time and not just of his generation by the end of his career. He does things with the ball that no-one else in the world can do, it's like he's playing his own game at times:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back