Your Movie and TV Hot Takes

Remove this Banner Ad

Spielberg for all his strengths is pretty much the absolute shittest of s**t when it comes to I have an idea for a set piece

but still on a scale of improbable to impossible

Temple of Doom plane crash - highly improbable

Crystal Skull surviving the nuclear explosion in a fridge - impossible

like the first part of the scene was pretty fun but come on

I dont know, in a world where hes survived the Arc melting Nazi faces, the voodoo magic of Doom and seen immortal soldiers i just dont really draw a line at the fridge thing personally but to each their own.

Blanchett is also delightful in Kingdom.

Having watched the new Indy the other night my hot take is that Kingdom of the Crystal Skull isnt bad.

Its not good and its not a shade on the original trilogy but its fun and campy (much like the original trilogy) it just has a pretty poor third act.

Agreed, the first hour is pretty good! It just grinds to a shocking halt when it starts to focus on the aliens.

I don't recall loving Crystal Skull, but neither do I recall hating it as much as some people.

Interestingly, in the original draft of Back to the Future, the time machine was housed in a fridge, not a Delorean, and the finale called for Marty to get in the fridge during a nuclear test to power it to send him home.

I don't recall loving Crystal Skull, but neither do I recall hating it as much as some people.

Interestingly, in the original draft of Back to the Future, the time machine was housed in a fridge, not a Delorean, and the finale called for Marty to get in the fridge during a nuclear test to power it to send him home.
Are you srs?!?! :laughv1:

Thats like the plane stunt in Tom Cruise's mummy film. He thought of it for the MI films but used it there instead

"The Middle" is a seriously underrated sitcom.

You see pieces of s**t like Big Bang Theory on the main channels, yet gems like this get relegated to GO or Eleven. Joke.
I routinely watch The Middle, such a great and underrated cast. Love Charlie Mcdermott

I watched Shutter Island at the cinema, it's not the best Scorsese film but I still enjoyed it, it has a great cast and an interesting twist.

Not the sort of film I would bother watching again though as once you know the twist it spoils it.

I don't rate The Shawshank Redemption all that highly either, it's a decent film but not as good as some people make it out to be.

I watched Shutter Island at the cinema, it's not the best Scorsese film but I still enjoyed it, it has a great cast and an interesting twist.

Not the sort of film I would bother watching again though as once you know the twist it spoils it.

I don't rate The Shawshank Redemption all that highly either, it's a decent film but not as good as some people make it out to be.
Switch it off on the boat on the way out there if you don’t wanna watch past realizing the twist. Painfully obvious and horribly directed thereafter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I tend to agree with you.. but I honestly can't tell if it's because I've just seen it way too many times or that's it is geuinely overrated. I just can't tell tbh.

Suffice to say whenever it is on TV, I do not watch it.

A thread on Reddit inspired this (about movies based on music), but I thought Bohemian Rhapsody and Rami Malek were good fun and enjoyable to watch.

Could it have been done better? Yes, there were a few questionable editing and timing choices. Was it entirely accurate? Nope - I am well aware that for example Freddie Mercury did not split from the group before reuniting at Live Aid and that his AIDS diagnosis came later. Did it gloss over the more negative aspects of Queen? Definitely, what movie authorised by the band itself doesn't?

But it was enjoyable enough to watch twice in the cinema, people were smiling, laughing and singing along, and it told a great story that even non-fans could follow easily. It did not promote itself as a gritty true-to-life documentary (where I can understand if people got upset if that's the case), it was an inspiring movie based on events around Queen and Freddie Mercury. Creative liberties to make a good movie taking precedence over maintaining historical accuracy? Sign me up. I thought the criticism by fans was unwarranted and reflected unrealistic expectations of what a Queen movie would be about.

It's a bit of circlejerk now on Reddit and similar forums that Bohemian Rhapsody was a s**t movie and worst ever to win Best Picture and Best Actor nominations at the Oscars when it's nowhere near that and deserves the accolades imo.

Don't watch it more than twice. Imho it gets shittier and shittier with every re-watch.

Haven't seen it since (caught glimpses on commercial TV) but I think I'd still enjoy it. Then again I rarely see any TV show or movie more than twice.

Peter Jackson's The Hobbit trilogy was a lot more enjoyable than his Lord of The Rings saga

On a similar note to my BR rant, I thought Rings of Power wasn't that bad even if more hardcore fans took exception to how the First Age was imagined in the series. Creative liberties trump historical accuracy.

But wow, that is definitely the hottest of takes. Kudos for owning it.

A thread on Reddit inspired this (about movies based on music), but I thought Bohemian Rhapsody and Rami Malek were good fun and enjoyable to watch.

Could it have been done better? Yes, there were a few questionable editing and timing choices. Was it entirely accurate? Nope - I am well aware that for example Freddie Mercury did not split from the group before reuniting at Live Aid and that his AIDS diagnosis came later. Did it gloss over the more negative aspects of Queen? Definitely, what movie authorised by the band itself doesn't?

But it was enjoyable enough to watch twice in the cinema, people were smiling, laughing and singing along, and it told a great story that even non-fans could follow easily. It did not promote itself as a gritty true-to-life documentary (where I can understand if people got upset if that's the case), it was an inspiring movie based on events around Queen and Freddie Mercury. Creative liberties to make a good movie taking precedence over maintaining historical accuracy? Sign me up. I thought the criticism by fans was unwarranted and reflected unrealistic expectations of what a Queen movie would be about.

It's a bit of circlejerk now on Reddit and similar forums that Bohemian Rhapsody was a s**t movie and worst ever to win Best Picture and Best Actor nominations at the Oscars when it's nowhere near that and deserves the accolades imo.
I distinctly recall leaving the cinema and thinking it was absolutely sensational and then waking up the next day and realizing that it was pretty poor. Its great fun (what movie with Queens soundtrack wont be) but its a real daytime TV sort of setup and outside of the Live Aid concert its pretty hokey and lame.

I have no issue with its nominations (im very glad it didnt win, even Green Book is a better film) but Ramis Oscar win is not great and is definitely in the discussion for one of the worst ever. Id have every other nominee from that year ahead of him.

I distinctly recall leaving the cinema and thinking it was absolutely sensational and then waking up the next day and realizing that it was pretty poor. Its great fun (what movie with Queens soundtrack wont be) but its a real daytime TV sort of setup and outside of the Live Aid concert its pretty hokey and lame.

I have no issue with its nominations (im very glad it didnt win, even Green Book is a better film) but Ramis Oscar win is not great and is definitely in the discussion for one of the worst ever. Id have every other nominee from that year ahead of him.
100% agree, except I came to that realisation on the 2nd viewing lol, not the very next day.

100% agree, except I came to that realisation on the 2nd viewing lol, not the very next day.
I watched something else on the same day (i feel like it was either Arrival or Nocturnal Animals) and i remember thinking they were both great but Bohemian Rhapdosy was "better".

I woke up the next day and realised that i was wrong, it was more that one was great fun and i left n a great mood and the other was super ******* dperessing but just way way better.

I watched something else on the same day (i feel like it was either Arrival or Nocturnal Animals) and i remember thinking they were both great but Bohemian Rhapdosy was "better".

I woke up the next day and realised that i was wrong, it was more that one was great fun and i left n a great mood and the other was super ******* dperessing but just way way better.
Oooooh NA. I need to see that again, soon. Love the ending.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back