Best Wins & Worst Losses

Remove this Banner Ad

For me - it was the loss against Suns - I knew that that was the end of Ratten as Coach and that the list had stopped playing for the Coach.

This one. I've never been as angry

Was so mad I started guzzling beers and punching my couch.

Went onto my poker account and loss the $2000 I'd won a week earlier in a tournament in a matter of minutes.

Then told my girlfriend i wasn't going to her aunties birthday lunch the next day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Went onto my poker account and loss the $2000 I'd won a week earlier in a tournament in a matter of minutes.

Then told my girlfriend i wasn't going to her aunties birthday lunch the next day.

Understand your feelings 100% - end of the fairy tale and Carlton gets dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century...and another rebuild

My worst loss was in 2008 against Hawthorn when Fevola missed that shot with only a minute or so left in the game. I guess it wasn't really important in the grand scheme of things, but I was in East Timor with the army and it was so awesome to be able to sit and watch the game live - the only game I saw that year. There were about 20 of us sitting around a tv watching and the last minute was such a roller-coaster; no 50m penalty paid to Joseph on the balf back line, then Armfield plays on in the middle of the ground and somehow managed a huge fend off, then Fev takes the huge grab, not 30m out from goal.

Even when it came off Fev's boot it looked like a goal and I was up and out of my seat cheering until I saw what happened. Was so mad I slammed a fist on the table and damn near broke my hand. When the siren went, a couple of the other boys who were Hawks fans tried to say something to me but I was just numb and I don't think I left my seat for a good 10 minutes. I guess it is hard to imagine, but being able to watch the team you love whilst overseas, only to lose like that really hurt!

A close second would be going to the Adelaide oval for the first time since the redevelopment with MEB_ and watching us get FLOGGED at the end of last year. The one time I saw my team live in 2014 and they put that effort up. To be honest, it wasn't that painful, just really disappointing.

1991 against Footscray at the Western Oval was pretty bad.

It rained. I left for the station before Arceri scored our only goal for the day. I still have the scarf that is purple on one side from the weather.
Was also at that game with my Footscray supporting father.
He still brings it up on the odd occasion

Wasn't quite that mad but yeah was disappointed. Thought we were going somewhere after the semi final loss to WC at end of 2011, by end of 2012 we had sacked our coach and gone down the shitter since. Was a bit of a window shattering moment about where the club was at, especially since things didn't look bad after we flogged Essendon the week before and Cas hit them from the boundary line.

My worst loss was in 2008 against Hawthorn when Fevola missed that shot with only a minute or so left in the game. I guess it wasn't really important in the grand scheme of things, but I was in East Timor with the army and it was so awesome to be able to sit and watch the game live - the only game I saw that year. There were about 20 of us sitting around a tv watching and the last minute was such a roller-coaster; no 50m penalty paid to Joseph on the balf back line, then Armfield plays on in the middle of the ground and somehow managed a huge fend off, then Fev takes the huge grab, not 30m out from goal.

Even when it came off Fev's boot it looked like a goal and I was up and out of my seat cheering until I saw what happened. Was so mad I slammed a fist on the table and damn near broke my hand. When the siren went, a couple of the other boys who were Hawks fans tried to say something to me but I was just numb and I don't think I left my seat for a good 10 minutes. I guess it is hard to imagine, but being able to watch the team you love whilst overseas, only to lose like that really hurt!

Yeah unfortunately we've had quite a few soul destroying losses to Hawthorn (would love a win in a GF against those mongrels).
Here's another of my worst - Friggen' Dixon...

The 2003 loss against North Melbourne. All of the losses in this thread have been genuinely traumatic, but at least we lost those games as Carlton, not the abominable Denis Pagan zombie sideshow. Even in the shitty decade since, the club has never sunk as low as it did that day.

1999 grand final

Was at a friends house with about 20 people watching the game, we had just beat the drug cheats the game before by a point, so expectations were high as its the grand final.

We lost and I ran outside crying, I actually cried..... now that I think about it, that was the moment carlton went downhill for me.

Still cant believe I cried over a football game I didnt participate in, how silly does that sound!

While some of the 100 + point beltings over the last decade have been hard to take it has been the games where victory has been snatched in the dying seconds that have been to me the worst losses.

Two games stand out in this regard.

First against North in the mid seventies (possibly a little later ) where Malcolm Blight had the kick after the siren to win the game. I was watching it on TV and I recall Blight throwing his hands up in anguish when he heard the siren and Mike Williamson (Ch7 commentator) blurting out he would have to kick this 80 metres to score. Unfortunately it went through three quarter post high :(

The other match was early eighties against Essendon and going into time on in the last quarter I think we were 20 or so points up. Mike Fitzpatrick gets done for time wasting and one of the Danihers (think it may have been Neale ?) kicked a couple of late goals and we lose it in the last seconds of the game. Not sure I ever saw anyone penalised for time wasting in that circumstance before or after.

Two of the losses that to this day still irks me :mad::mad::mad:

The semi final loss to Richmond by 6 points in 1927 hurt. Having beaten them by 7 points in the 2nd last round I went to that game full of confidence....the horse ride home with Dad was a very sombre affair! :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd say the 2005 loss to Richmond.
My father and I got there late so we didn't see Matthew Lappin's (I believe it was Lappin) goal in the opening minutes of the quarter, we didn't kick another goal in the first half so we decided to leave at half time.
As we had nothing else to do we decided to go to the Cinema, now I can't remember what movie we went to see but it was crap.

All in all it was a crap day.

This one also hurt a fair bit (not a worse loss):

I remember talk back radio on the day when people were arguing Campo should have received a 50m penalty because some North Melb players ran through the mark when celebrating. Might have had a case after re-watching...

Was at the 1991 loss when Arceri kicked our only goal. Was the last game i saw before we moved to SA. In SA it was the game Burgoyne scored goaled after the Siren. Man I hated Burgoyne the diver.

On TV, 93 Grand Final.

For all that Ive written above, that loss to Gold Coast was the only one i truly got angry, and Im still angry about. I remain convinced the players threw the game to get rid of Ratten after the media build up during the week after the Essendon win was all about him being likely to stay.

I started really following footy in 2002 so i knew no better than carlton getting flogged. so all those 100 point losses are water off a ducks back however the 2011 SF against WCE was the hardest ever to swallow, i genuinely thought that we were a sneaky chance to make the grand final, as we played well against geelong and to lose such a close game after an incredible come back in that last quarter was devastating

93 grand final...only game i think of more often is the 95 granny
in 93 it just felt like everything went their way, we couldnt do a thing right whilst they had all the luck, pace and having their youngsters smash our (what i thought) experience really hurt. had some pretty ugly opposition supporters close to us that made it that more hellish as well...

Gold Coast game. ACL to McInnes that, arguably, finished him off as a player. Then Ellard comes on as the sub and gets injured himself.

Will never forget the sight of Simpson jogging after a Gold Coast player like he couldn't give a *.

Gold Coast game. ACL to McInnes that, arguably, finished him off as a player. Then Ellard comes on as the sub and gets injured himself.

Will never forget the sight of Simpson jogging after a Gold Coast player like he couldn't give a ****.
Attitude, or just knackered due to lack of rotations?

1999 grand final

Was at a friends house with about 20 people watching the game, we had just beat the drug cheats the game before by a point, so expectations were high as its the grand final.

We lost and I ran outside crying, I actually cried..... now that I think about it, that was the moment carlton went downhill for me.

Still cant believe I cried over a football game I didnt participate in, how silly does that sound!

Not silly at all. It wasn't just "a football game", it was a grand final, so it's quite legitimate to be moved to tears, win or lose! You were just a little bloke then, anyway!
I was pretty devastated over that one too, damn close to tears as I recall. Like you said, after the euphoria of denying the scum the week before in the prelim - which I had the privilege of being present at! :)
The moment Justin Murphy fell and did his knee I knew in my gut we were gawn,
Man, did it hurt to feel that. :(

A close second would be going to the Adelaide oval for the first time since the redevelopment with MEB_ and watching us get FLOGGED at the end of last year. The one time I saw my team live in 2014 and they put that effort up. To be honest, it wasn't that painful, just really disappointing.

That's opened up an old wound Shandog, that game was the loudest crowd I have ever sat in, it was deafening even compared to the 95,000 v the Tigers in the semi. We were 4-5 down going into the last quarter and just turned it on but couldn't finish them off. Joseph may not go down as a big name player but I reckon he is one bloke who has made Cyril look very ordinary on more than one occasion

One that made me go beserk recently was the 2013 loss to Collingwood 2nd time around. Played 3 solid weeks of footy against top teams, Collingwood looked out of sorts, and we should nab one win against a respectable opponent.

Nope, absolutely flogged.

Left at half time in a fit of rage.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back