The most ridiculous/funny/stupid thing you have ever heard a commentator say

Remove this Banner Ad

"they still haven't forgiven him for that bump earlier. the crowd is BOOING ricciuto!" - robert walls, adelaide v brisbane, round 7 2007

he had clearly never heard crows supporters yell "ROOO" every time ricciuto had touched the ball in his career up until that point

I loved it when Dr Turf was interviewing Mick Malthouse and started to say something about a Pies player - pretty sure it was Woewodin - being played in the VFL and before he could get the question out, Mick launched an attack on him.
Turfie stuttered, 'H-h-h-hang on, I haven't even asked the question yet!' And they kept replaying the tape of him saying that. Gold.

From DC's book:

Dermott: And the ball spills free to Kickett...
Cometti: Troy Cook, you mean?
Dermott: Yes... well, they do look rather alike.
Cometti: How so, Dermott?
Dermott: (Realising that both players are Aboriginal, so this might sound a little dodgy) Umm, well, they are both... er...
Cometti: ...Midfielders, yes Dermott.

In a similar vein, Peter McKenna commentating on the Bulldogs [1985]:
"Les Bamblett passes it to his lookalike,Michael McLean."

"they still haven't forgiven him for that bump earlier. the crowd is BOOING ricciuto!" - robert walls, adelaide v brisbane, round 7 2007

he had clearly never heard crows supporters yell "ROOO" every time ricciuto had touched the ball in his career up until that point

ha ha I wonder if he thinks mooney and cooney and dew get hugely booed as well!

don't know who it was, but watching the richmond geelong game, one of the comm's when a tiger got injured in a clash:
"well the story is, it just doesn't pay to try to tackle these geelong players"

that is ridiculous. i think it was wallsy. they don't consider what they're saying half the time! they're just filling up airspace

The most ridiculous thing I've ever heard a commentator say is, "Let's cross down to the boundary" - as though we are about to learn something useful.
The funniest thing I've heard a commentator say was, "Ah, good on you Dip" - as Bruce (like the rest of us) tried to decipher whatever the hell it was that Dipper had babbled his way through.

Bruce's call every game without fail of:
"Gee Ox, you reckon if they get the next one they're in with a real chance"
Quite amusing.

believe it or not an ABC commentator today mistook Stewie Dew for, wait for it.............................. Lance Franklin

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This isn't footy related, but during the cricket about 15 years ago, around when the 12th Man was massive.

Australia was playing a one dayer against Sri Lanka, and one of the Aussie quicks caught the edge of the bat and it flew to between the keeper and 1st slip, caught by Mark Taylor, but given "not out".

Anyway, Bill Lawrie said he didn't hit it, Tony Grieg said he did, and they argued back and forth for a few mins. Tony Grieg then says, whilst the reply is showing, "Look you pidgeon lover, you can see the red mark on his bat where he nicked it". Bill Lawry started laughing, and in a dead ringer for the 12th Man Bill Lawry said "There using a white ball, Tony you idiot".

Funniest sporting exchange i have ever heard, god i wish i could find it on Youtube!

Just then on Ch 7 coverage of the Richmond-Adelaide game
"There's still 7 or 8 teams with the possibility of making the 8."
??? I'd assume there would have to be at least 8.

Neville Oliver on a wet day at North Hobart way back in about 1990 informing ABC radio listeners to a TFL game that the umpire was "about to throw up in front of the bar area".

Bruce Greenhill, around the grounds commentator for ABC Radio's TFL broadcasts, one day at match at KGV in the mid-90's.
Peter Walsh: "Bruce Greenhill at KGV! Score update?"
Bruce Greenhill: "Yes Pete, 28-minute mark, second term, Magpies forty seven points in front. Glenorchy 10.11 (71), South Launceston 3.6 (24)" .....<inadvertently leaves microphone on>........
Peter Walsh : "The Magpies having all the answers in that one close to half time"

A wailing of the siren from KGV sounds down the line over Walsh, then the siren makes this strange "BRRRRRRRRRweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeoooooooooooowwwwww" sound.
Bruce Greenhill, unaware his microphone was still on and going live across Tasmania "Hmph Christ sounds like someone's pissed in the siren!"

Not sure if I heard it correctly this weekend, but I think Dwayne Russell might have described a pinpoint kick as ..

".... through the eye of the needle in a haystack"

clever, if he meant it.

Dennis Cometti on WCE v Freo game, this was just after Cousins ran from his car at a booze stop.

"Cousins runs away from Carr (Freo) not the first time this year"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back