Score Graphics

Remove this Banner Ad

Fox Sports have had a few different iterations of their score graphics so far this year. Pre-season they moved into the 16:9 zone, but that was quickly retracted back to what we had last year, and now they have the little guernsey designs next to the names. Will try and get a screenshot of the current version.

Fox Sports have had a few different iterations of their score graphics so far this year. Pre-season they moved into the 16:9 zone, but that was quickly retracted back to what we had last year, and now they have the little guernsey designs next to the names. Will try and get a screenshot of the current version.
roughy.png

Just some tiny clarifications for accuracy (e.g. re 1981/82/83 - which are incorrectly posted). I can only give youtube links, though, not actual pictures, cos I suck at that.

Channel 7's match of the day graphics were different from their other ones - which were either that really basic 1979 look or, in later years, 'clunky' templates. Before 1987, they also used to pool coverage with the ABC. So much so that what is shown here as '1981' and '1982' is actually ABC graphics from pooled games.

- 1981 was actually pretty much the same as 1979/80.

- 1982 on Ch 7's big games can be seen here from the '82 GF. I quite like the clear and simple style of it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1TdQAdmuZ8

- 1983 was actually the same as 1984 in every respect.

Apart from that, it is absolutely true that Channel 7 ‘piped in’ fake crowd noise in their broadcasts of the 1985 and 1986 finals – a ridiculous idea that was abandoned. 1987’s graphics come from Broadcom, who owned the rights. ABC simply rebroadcast games with their own commentators in Victoria because Channel 7's Sydney ownership thought VFL footy wasn't worth showing.

And on 1979, a little known fact is that the telecast of the Grand Final was jeopardized when almost the entire production team went on strike. This left the executives at HSV 7 to masquerade as producers and cameramen for the day. The result is pretty obvious – just an horrendous quality broadcast.

This is a great thread, brought back some memories. The old Lions on screen mascot appears at 3:35 in this video, when they won the '89 reserves grand final:

[YOUTUBE]Yk4Sgn-oSRc[/YOUTUBE]

The puzzle isn't finished just yet - we still didn't have a regular season score graphic for 1990 (only the grand final).

Here it is:
el62qc.png

Also crow28's original post needs to be updated.

The puzzle isn't finished just yet - we still didn't have a regular season score graphic for 1990 (only the grand final).

Here it is:
el62qc.png

Also crow28's original post needs to be updated.

AFL TODAY = highlights/replays
AFL LIVE = live games

when you go on you tube however, all the footage from 1990 and 1991 seems to be from AFL TODAY

although i could be wrong... perhaps all graphics were 'AFL TODAY' regardless if a viewer was watching it live or not

Any idea if the ABC had anything funky when they had the rights for a year in the 80's?

I can't say I recall what graphics they had that year. All I do remember was the introduction of sponsoring on the umpire that looked way to big (sportsvision maybe??)

Straight out the success of your team that particular year influences greatly on whether you like the graphic.
I for one love 99.
Loved 98 for an entire year and in an hours time absolutely hated it and still do.
Dont mind 00.
Hate 01.
Ive owned up to it.

Re: And finally... the 1970's!

1976.png

1975m.png

1974 (SCOREBOARD TIME)
1974.png

These are actually just superimposed shots of the actual scoreboards. Back then, they didn't have the facility to apply any sort of computer graphics, but the could merge a dual feed - much like what they do for weather readers. All they did was ramp up the contrast and blow-out the black tone and shazam, all you have left are the white tone or in this case, a superimposed scoreboard on the live feed. They did it not only for the 75-76 Brownlow coverage and all kinds of sports back then, but also for any news feeds where the'd actually take photos of the caption on paper, then superimpose.

Bump. Does anyone have any extra info? I'm actually interested (and sort of half way through) compiling this stuff into a niche little website, like Mero's footyjumpers.com. :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Okay, I have something up now. I haven't really put anything on it yet, but it's a start. I did write the History page myself so please tell me if you think I should add anything in or if there is any inaccurate info.

http://footyonthebox.weebly.com

Tremendous idea Gibbsy
I'll have a search around for what other graphics have been used during broadcast (not just relating to the scores).

I think once you get the site up and running , you should post all those graphics of team's mascot, and then eventually branch out into any other graphics of note that appear.

Happy to help out

Rhett

From Ch 7 1989.
Saturday Night replay opening logo.
The show ran from 6pm - 7.30pm.
SatNight.jpg

This was their score graphic , during the reply show
Ch71989replaygraphic.jpg

Channel 7 1988 Sunday night replay graphic (also it says Sunday Live)
Ch7FootballLive1988.jpg

Channel 7 1988 Sunday night replay ladder graphic
Ch71989replayladder.jpg

Channel 7 1988 Sunday night replay Ground Report graphics
1988Ch7replaygroundreport.jpg

Ch71988replaygroundreportgraphic.jpg

1988Ch7replaygroundreport2.jpg

- Rhett

Thanks for that info Rhett, I'm looking forward to getting the whole thing up and running! That weather report is quality! :D

Would you happen to have any classic Fox Footy graphics from your contacts at the network?

I think score graphics was the original premise but I'd love to expand it into any TV graphics relating to footy. I think it'd be a great resource and a real boon to have something like that available to the public :thumbsu:

Who else here hates the new fox footy score card graphics? Its a disgrace.

It's driving me nuts :thumbsdown:

It's so unprofessional. Why on earth do they have the club logos to the left on the score bug, and then put the FoxFooty logo over the top so you can't see them.

In the WB vs Carl game, you can just see the top of the club logos, with the Fox logo slightly lower than usual.

Shocking.

No probs. Gibbsy
You should start adding the shots to your website. It's a great idea.

Fox Footy Living With Footballers
LivingWithFootballers.jpg

Fox Footy Grumpy old Men
GrumpyOldMenlogo.jpg

Fox Footy Headliners
Headliners.jpg

World Of Sport 1981 Graphic for Mark of the Year sponsored by Neil Neillson
WorldOfSport1981MoftheYear.jpg

World of Sport 1981 graphic for winner
WorldofSportMotY.jpg

- Rhett

ABC Saturday Night Replay 1984 graphic
ABCSatnightpanel1984scoreTimLanehost-1.jpg

CH 7 Big League Saturday evening graphic 1984
Ch7Satevening1984replaygraphic.jpg

Channel 7 Big League Saturday evening graphic 1984
Ch7BigLeaguescore1985.jpg

Closing credit Ch 7 Big League Saturday evening graphic
(note that the credits moved across the screen right to left very fast)
SevensBigLeague1984closingcredits.jpg

Scot Palmer 1984 - Channel 7 cross
ScotPalmer1984punchlines.jpg

Scot Palmer 1985 - Channel 7 cross
ScotPalmerPunchlines1985.jpg

Scot Palmer 1986 - Chanel 7 cross
ScotPalmer1986.jpg

ABC 1981 Replay show score
1981ABCreplayscores.jpg

ABC 1981 Replay show
DougHeywood1981ABCreplay.jpg

ABC 1981 Replay show