Score Graphics

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 5, 2005
Between the Big Sticks
AFL Club
West Coast
What do you think of the score graphics used in footy on TV over the years?

Can't really say anything about the 70s and early 80s as they were pretty basic.

Liked ABC's one in 1987 with the blocky yellow letters for the team names in front of a blue band across the screen. When 7 got the rights back, it went back to a bare bones look. They did built up on it in the early 90s though... I really liked what Ch. 7 used between 1990-93 and the different variations of it... 1991 with the gold ribbon, 1992 with the orange paper tear look with navy trim, 1993 with the gold band indicating the quarter above the scores.

1994 was a step backwards with that red box with the background of the scores not transparent. Poor.

Liked 1997's real classy clean look.

1998 was a little weird with the scores flipping and unflipping on screen.

1999 they had the scores go all robot on us.

2002-06, Channel 10 didn't even try and it was so bland. They now pretty much followed up what Channel 9 did in this period, using a dark blue base.

Fox Footy (once they stopped copying channel 10)/Fox Sports have had the best score graphics out of the lot. Only station to use an infobar for AFL, and the current graphics are the best of the lot. They were also the first to have a permanent time clock with the scores.

Channel 7 pre 2002 wasn't too bad, but the biggest flaw was not having the time clock up all the time. The tennis-style coverage since 2007 of cramming everything into the bottom left corner was bland in 2007 and is now just plain boring.

Channel 9's looked good in 2002, but then they did nothing to improve on it, so by 2006 it was boring and predictable.

Channel 10's started out bland. Then they tried the 3D look in 2004 which just looked messy. Then they improved it to a decent standard in 2005, and they've done nothing since. 10 also seems to have constant trouble with their time clock, often resorting to a count up clock outside the 5 minute warning. 10 is in desperate need of a refresh, and probably a more reliable computer system.

Ahhh this is something that I always watched with interest as a youngster. What new design would seven come up with each year? It was like Christmas in 2002 with three different stations having the righs, but I was left dissappointed when Fox just used Tens designs.

Anyways, this thread deserves pictures IMO, so I've uploaded as many of the various styles used by the networks throughout the years as I have.

Lets start with SEVEN.

1990Seven.jpg

1991Seven.jpg

1992Seven.jpg

1993Seven.jpg

For the first time, the time clock was added into the main scoreboard section, rather than a box in the top left corner.

1994Seven.jpg

1995Seven.jpg

1996Seven.jpg

This was the first year that Seven introduced the "scorebug" in the top left corner of the screen, so viewers knew throughout the whole match what the scores were. It was pretty basic for its first year. It is seen in the image below coupled with the time clock in the bottom left which would occasionally appear.

1997SevenMajor.jpg
1997SevenMinor.jpg

A much better version of the scorebug appeared in 1998. The time remaining would occasionally drop down from the bottom of it for 30 seconds or so every few minutes, and this practice continued right thru to the end of 2001 when seven lost the rights.

1998SevenMajor.jpg
1998SevenMinor.jpg

1999SevenMajor.jpg
1999SevenMinor.jpg

2000SevenMajor.jpg
2000SevenMinor.jpg

2001SevenMajor.jpg
2001SevenMinor.jpg

Seven continued... (followed by Nine)

Seven's return to AFL saw yet another complete redesign, this time mimicking other Seven graphics used in sports such as tennis and rugby union, while still retaining its own individual style.

But a first for the network saw the scorebug move to the bottom left of screen, and instead of a major scoreboard taking up the whole centre bottom of screen after a goal, the scorebug simply expanded to show the full scoreline.

2007SevenMajor.jpg
2007SevenMinor.jpg

2008-2011

The same basic style was retained, though tweaked slightly to a more 3D effect without the faded gradients.

2010SevenMajor.jpg
2010SevenMinor.jpg

Now lets look at NINE, who held the rights from 2002-06.

Nine's first year saw the network continue its blue/silver theme from other sports, but in a completely new style just for AFL.

2002NineMajor.jpg
2002NineMinor.jpg

2003-04

The same basic principles were continued, though the yellow was dropped from the old style, and some refining was adopted to the placement of the silver and blue, as well as the club logos. The "knobs" were dropped from either side of the main scoreboard.

2003NineMajor.jpg
2003NineMinor.jpg

2005-06

Yet again some minor refinements took place to the club logos, this time coupling the jumper designs with them. The scorebug also lost the "knobs" on either side of the home team, and the time band was made narrower. The time on the main scoreboard was also given its own background and better aligned. The bar at the top of the main scoreboard showing which quarter was also given a semi transparent look.

2005NineMajor.jpg
2005NineMinor.jpg

Nine started well in 2002. Very slick and clean.

Ditto Ch10 in 2003-2003. Very simplistic but easy to understand. No fuss. How it should be.

Agree with OP, rate Seven's from 1997. Got a bit jumbled in 98-99 (didn't mind '99s though). Very good again in 2000 and in 2001, in particular.

Ten's have been okay from 07-10, but still...

Seven's post 07 is in the wrong spot. It's footy, not tennis.

Agree with Crow28. Used to get pumped as a kid waiting to see what Seven unveiled in round one. They would keep the previous year's format in the Ansett Cup before switching to the new scoreboard in round one. Ahh. Simple times. :p

Anyone recall Optus Vision's scoreboard from 97-98 in the top left corner? Always had the scores as:

Coll 11.11
Ess 5.6

Instead of:

Coll 77
Ess 36

Now we look at TEN, which gained the rights in 2002 and continue to hold them.

2002-03

The first design was quite simple, and frankly, quite dull. The style was also used by Fox Footy Channel.

2002TenMajor.jpg
2002TenMinor.jpg

2004 was a similar design to 2002-03, but with a more 3D look which was more evident when watching the animations.

2004TenMajor.jpg
2004TenMinor.jpg

2005-06

The first radical redesign for Ten saw a marked improvement. In 2005 the main scoreboard was aligned to the left inside the 4:3 safe zone, but from 2006 was aligned centred.

2005TenMajor.jpg
2005TenMinor.jpg

Initially, the club logos also featured along side the name in the scorebug at all times, but after a few rounds they could only be seen when stats were shown.

2005TenMinorW-Logos.jpg

2007-2011

From 2007, the base colour was changed from blue to a more grey colour. The font was also changed slightly.

2008TenMajor.jpg
2008TenMinor.jpg

Finally we look at FOX, who initially used the same graphics as Ten from 2002-03.

The copycat-Ten graphics were dropped, and a red, black and silver colour scheme applied.

2004FoxMajor.jpg
2004FoxMinor.jpg

2005-07

The first, and so far only, infobar to be used for AFL.

2005FoxMajor.jpg
2005FoxMinor.jpg

One year only, featuring basic blue and orange blocks.

2008FoxMajor.jpg
2008FoxMinor.jpg

2009-2011

Another complete redesign saw a similar look to other Fox Sports broadcasts such as soccer and rugby union come to life. In 2011, the scorebug was moved out of the 4:3 safe zone, suitable only for widescreen viewing.

2009FoxMajor.jpg
2009FoxMinor.jpg

great work crows28, appreciate all the pics but is it just me that youre drying to brainwash everyone subliminally to think that the crows always win, coz every photos has the crows winning haha

That'd just be because the only DVDs i have are of Crow wins haha. Tho perhaps its no coincidence i always chose a point towards the end of the game ;).... except for 2003 Nine, which I thought I'd s**t-stir and show Carey kicking the first goal in his first game against the Roos :p

Nine started well in 2002. Very slick and clean.

Ditto Ch10 in 2003-2003. Very simplistic but easy to understand. No fuss. How it should be.

Agree with OP, rate Seven's from 1997. Got a bit jumbled in 98-99 (didn't mind '99s though). Very good again in 2000 and in 2001, in particular.

Ten's have been okay from 07-10, but still...

Seven's post 07 is in the wrong spot. It's footy, not tennis.

Agree with Crow28. Used to get pumped as a kid waiting to see what Seven unveiled in round one. They would keep the previous year's format in the Ansett Cup before switching to the new scoreboard in round one. Ahh. Simple times. :p

Anyone recall Optus Vision's scoreboard from 97-98 in the top left corner? Always had the scores as:

Coll 11.11
Ess 5.6

Instead of:

Coll 77
Ess 36

I can't stand Tens early efforts. Completely amatuerish imo. Nines were always good, and the subtle refinements always made them just that little bit better.

And i do recall seeing those optus vision scores on the news. i always thought it was stupid haha

Great work bloodsbigot!!

I'd assume from what I've seen of various highlights that the 1980 style was basically the same right from when it began, which incidentally, does anybody actually know the first year that Seven used on-screen graphics to display the scores?

It seems so odd looking back on old footage from the 60's and how they just had a camera shot of the scoreboard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And finally... the 1970's!

1979.png

1978.png

1977n.png

1976.png

1975m.png

1974 (SCOREBOARD TIME)
1974.png

Isn't it funny how they kind of took a step backwards in 1979? In my opinion, the 1978 one isn't that bad with the black outline.

Also, it's the first time I've realized that before 1977, the scoreboard looked that way (With the points below the goals and behinds). We have truly come a long way.

I too find the evolution of graphics fascinating, as I'm sure my posts show.

Does anybody know why in certain games from 1998-2001, the Seven graphics (usually daytime Sat/Sun) would be the same basic template but with different font (and usually slower flashing of numbers after a goal/point)? It was like a more basic, less slick and a more unprofessional version. As though the match didn't warrant use of the proper graphics or something. The below is a comparison from 2001, but it definitely happened in the years mentioned above.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnWay8S8xqI v http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeH6YixONl0

Does anybody know why in certain games from 1998-2001, the Seven graphics (usually daytime Sat/Sun) would be the same basic template but with different font (and usually slower flashing of numbers after a goal/point)? It was like a more basic, less slick and a more unprofessional version. As though the match didn't warrant use of the proper graphics or something. The below is a comparison from 2001, but it definitely happened in the years mentioned above.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnWay8S8xqI v http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeH6YixONl0

Nice pic up that one. The PF final has the points right justified and the team name left justified while being more bolder and longer than the other.

Did it have to do with the old "C7 Sport" cable channel Seven had which also showed games back then, where games they coverered as the primary broadcaster would use the "less slick" version?

I remember that, it was like anything that was replayed rather than a feature match just got the cheap unpro looking graphics slapped on it.

Nice pic up that one. The PF final has the points right justified and the team name left justified while being more bolder and longer than the other.

Did it have to do with the old "C7 Sport" cable channel Seven had which also showed games back then, where games they coverered as the primary broadcaster would use the "less slick" version?

I remember that, it was like anything that was replayed rather than a feature match just got the cheap unpro looking graphics slapped on it.

Yep I believe JuddyBuddy is right. Feature matches had the "proper" graphics, while any that were just highlights or replays tended to be static graphics. You'll also notice that there is no animation to the graphics. They just fade in and out, while the proper ones do rotations and twists and all sorts of stuff.

I remember nine doing this sometimes as well, but it was just if there was a problem with the time clock or something. It was usually just a temporary thing until they could get the proper one working again.

I've done some trawling on youtube to find the missing 90s graphics, so apologies if they're a bit dodgy quality. The only thing is that the 1990 one is from the Grand Final with which Seven chose to actually put a big "AFL Grand Final" banner on, so I'm not entirely sure what was there for normal matches. I also updated my original post so you can compare :)

1990Seven.jpg

1992Seven.jpg

1996Seven.jpg

1999SevenMinor.jpg
1999SevenMajor.jpg

The only thing is that the 1990 one is from the Grand Final with which Seven chose to actually put a big "AFL Grand Final" banner on, so I'm not entirely sure what was there for normal matches. :)

I believe they had "AFL Today", which was the name of the highlights show back then, yet it still appeared even if you watched the game LIVE. I think this was in place for 1990 and 91.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back