Ben Hilfenhaus

Remove this Banner Ad

I was simply making the point that not getting bags of wickets is hardly a substantial point of criticism. Brett Lee, an express bowler, never managed more than five in an innings in Test cricket for instance.

bit hard comparing hilfy to bing lee.

bing lee had to compete (and was normally our 4th bowler for quite some time) behind warne mgrath and gillespie, making it hard to claim a 5fa.

Exactly, Hilfy has failed to take big bags in situations where conditions suited him, and our other bowlers were bowling tripe. Lee struggled to take 5-fors because he was competing with some of the best bowlers of all-time for wickets. When he was on, he was really destructive, genuinely dangerous. Hilfy just hardly ever looks really dangerous.

I've been a Hilfy advocate over the journey, but it's time to admit that he's had his go, and failed to demonstrate that he deserves a spot. Maybe in a few years he'll have some more great FC seasons and be worth looking at again, but for now he's way down in the pecking order.

Exactly, Hilfy has failed to take big bags in situations where conditions suited him, and our other bowlers were bowling tripe. Lee struggled to take 5-fors because he was competing with some of the best bowlers of all-time for wickets. When he was on, he was really destructive, genuinely dangerous. Hilfy just hardly ever looks really dangerous.

Lee was average at the best of times, had nothing to do with the blokes bowling around him, he took the new ball more often than not.

Doug Bollinger should be in the side ahead of Copeland, Johnson, Siddle and Hilfenhaus.

I like Hilfy, but he really lost his killer instinct over the last series or two he played. Saying he has never looked threatening is just demonstrating how little you've seen of his domestic career before he got picked, and how much you forgot of the early days of his Test career. Hopefully he remembers how to take wickets with Tassie and forces his way back in the side, he was a quality bowler a few years back.

Comparing him to Lee is unfair. He needs about 5 more years of undeserved chances before anyone can say he has gotten the free ride Brett got.

They interviewed McDermott on the fox coverage last night and McDermott said his priority was getting lengths right and encouraging the bowlers to pitch it up more to facilitate swing. Maybe Hilf would be a better bowler under McDermott given he had been bowling way too short for a swing bowler the last 18 months or so. He needs a good start to the domestic summer. I can't see Copeland lasting long and with Harris a crock there will likely be an opportunity opening up at some stage.

Hilf's bigger problem is that he's useless to right handers - near 50% of his test wickets are left handers...and of course the reason for that is because his swing is actually dangerous against them 'cause of the angle, it helps create late swing, whereas to right handers he swings it straight away and they can laugh at it.... I wouldn't say Hilf has no chance of getting another test, but he'll have to do something to make himself dangerous against right handed batsmen...eg use the bowling crease

As for Copeland. Well I'd rather Bollinger play. Mainly 'cause of my own preference of not picking bowlers with less than 20 fc games behind them, unless the only other option is playing both of MJ and Siddle, but i think SL will be tougher for him than SA/Aus/Eng etc....should do a county season asap

Don't get the Copeland hate. He might be slow and boring, but as a debutant, he's averaging 30-ish, at 2 an over, in extremely unhelpful subcontinental conditions. That's not bad at all. Copeland is the metronome the Australian attack needs badly right now.

Nah, we want him playing for Tassie. However I believe he has the potential to win us the ashes one day. Just needs more smarts and also a ball where it goes the other way.

copes isn't going anywhere. was instrumental in the bowling partnership which gave us our first series win in what seems like eons. he's the perfect foil to a thinking bowler like harris.

copes isn't going anywhere. was instrumental in the bowling partnership which gave us our first series win in what seems like eons. he's the perfect foil to a thinking bowler like harris.

Exactly.

Copeland (although he bowls a bit too slowly for mine) provides a level of control that has been sorely lacking in recent times. It allows Harris/whoever else to be more attacking.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hilf is a thing of the past, Pattinson moves the ball and bowls quicker, Hilf looked out of his depth towards the later of his tests, after the 2 overs his swing disappeared and he become 130 km of nothing, at least Copeland hits a length over and over and will be decent on SA pitches with Life in them.

Hilf and Dougie seem like back tracking at this point, I mean FFS we just one a series with a younger promising attack, why bring back two bowlers who were par of our worst run of tests on over a decade, seems pointless

Hilf is a thing of the past, Pattinson moves the ball and bowls quicker, Hilf looked out of his depth towards the later of his tests, after the 2 overs his swing disappeared and he become 130 km of nothing, at least Copeland hits a length over and over and will be decent on SA pitches with Life in them.

Hilf and Dougie seem like back tracking at this point, I mean FFS we just one a series with a younger promising attack, why bring back two bowlers who were par of our worst run of tests on over a decade, seems pointless
He's 28. If he, as most are saying, gets some more smarts about him and tears up the domestic competition this summer, he has a few good years left in him and it'd be silly not to get him in the team. He has the ability, but will need to perform at state level to get back in there.

As for Dougie, that's not backtracking. Cricket isn't footy. You don't rebuild, you play to win. Players can develop at state level, as our state teams are as good as the lower-ranked countries. Dougie is a good bowler and ruling him out would be silly. We only won 1-0, and the old guy Harris was our best bowler for the series. Notice how well our 'younger promising attack' went when Harris flew home?

it's amazing that so many people want bollinger gone forever because he struggled at adelaide.

Ok he played when half fit on the worlds flattest track and struggled in one innings, so we just ignore that he was far and away our best quick in the 12 months leading up to that match?

He has 50 wickets at 25 and he's competing for spots with blokes who all average mid 30's per wicket, he must surely at least be in the running?

The worst thing CA could do, the biggest step back australian cricket could suffer, is overlooking performance for youth, potential et al like we have been. That is, picking people like Pattinson, Strac, etc. They've played **** all FC games. They should be nowhere near the Australian cricket team. The average Australian supporter should barely know them. They should be focusing on earning their state spot - and CA shouldn't be putting the states in awkward situations like the one NSW will be in with Cummins.

Now if Hilf goes ahead and takes 50 wickets next summer and demonstrates ability to get right handers out he should come right back into contention. If Bollinger demonstrates an ability....to uh not get ****ed around by CA...etc.

btw i'll point out Bollinger played in three loses in his twelve matches - one where he got injured and his injury probably lost us the match, the Adl fiasco where he was on a greater number of plane flights than days in the field in the lead up to the match and a match Aus. got bowled our for 80 odd

The worst thing CA could do, the biggest step back australian cricket could suffer, is overlooking performance for youth, potential et al like we have been. That is, picking people like Pattinson, Strac, etc. They've played **** all FC games. They should be nowhere near the Australian cricket team. The average Australian supporter should barely know them. They should be focusing on earning their state spot - and CA shouldn't be putting the states in awkward situations like the one NSW will be in with Cummins.

Now if Hilf goes ahead and takes 50 wickets next summer and demonstrates ability to get right handers out he should come right back into contention. If Bollinger demonstrates an ability....to uh not get ****ed around by CA...etc.

btw i'll point out Bollinger played in three loses in his twelve matches - one where he got injured and his injury probably lost us the match, the Adl fiasco where he was on a greater number of plane flights than days in the field in the lead up to the match and a match Aus. got bowled our for 80 odd

I have no idea how Starc has such a high profile. His first class stats are very ordinary, but he writes blogs and gets interviews and appears to be thoroughly promoted by CA. It must be due to his southpawedness and his height as I can't see why anyone would be in a fuss about him.

What I've seen of his bowling, he looked like a taller version of Mitchell Johnson which kind of gave me the creeps to tell the truth.

He's 28. If he, as most are saying, gets some more smarts about him and tears up the domestic competition this summer, he has a few good years left in him and it'd be silly not to get him in the team. He has the ability, but will need to perform at state level to get back in there.

As for Dougie, that's not backtracking. Cricket isn't footy. You don't rebuild, you play to win. Players can develop at state level, as our state teams are as good as the lower-ranked countries. Dougie is a good bowler and ruling him out would be silly. We only won 1-0, and the old guy Harris was our best bowler for the series. Notice how well our 'younger promising attack' went when Harris flew home?

Exactly, we won. Dougie and Hilf dont know to much about this as of late for Australia, also Hilf was given plenty of chances in the Ashes when he struggled, a swing bowler who cant get the ball to swing, the shield final in Hobart, didn't get the ball to swing after the first 3-4 overs with the new ball.

As for Dougie, I would rather him then Hilf, but I just don't see the point, and if we are not rebuilding, then why is Katich out. It is worth persisting with our next Gen bowlers who can be just as effective as these two, because they both didn't set a high standard as of late. Harris is the one proven bowler as of late I would love to stick with, unfortunately everything about him is true to the Fast bowler, consistent, quick, good bouncer and god damn injury prone.

As for our young attack, the pitch wasn't exactly a bowlers deck was it, Copeland, Lyon and Siddle bowled very well on what they were given to work on, You gonna try and tell me that Hilf and Dougie would of fared better, a couple of roads in the Ashes and they offered us up jack nothing, They did lack that lead bowler in Harris, but Hilf and Doug anrn't gonna be the no.1 bowlers in any side in the world. We won, those two were not a part of it and until we start performing shockingly bad as a team again, those players are gonna have to slug it out in the Shield

Pattison is very much cemented in all 3 of Victoria's state out fits, opens the bowling in all and has a very good record in all 3 forms so far, would of played more shield games except for injury, Starc has something to prove still, but Pattison is well and truly on the national stage. He has also started his ODI career well. I think it is great he has been recognized early and thrown on some tours to get used to the system, also would of made his debut instead of Peter George in India if not for his dodgy back then.

Another we are forgetting his Ben Cutting. Has been pretty good last two years and was very close to a test debut as well, i think in NZ last year. Can also clunk a ball pretty well. Got injured and now seems to have dropped off the radar all together, I think he is about 24-25.

Pattison is very much cemented in all 3 of Victoria's state out fits, opens the bowling in all and has a very good record in all 3 forms so far, would of played more shield games except for injury, Starc has something to prove still, but Pattison is well and truly on the national stage. He has also started his ODI career well. I think it is great he has been recognized early and thrown on some tours to get used to the system, also would of made his debut instead of Peter George in India if not for his dodgy back then.

Another we are forgetting his Ben Cutting. Has been pretty good last two years and was very close to a test debut as well, i think in NZ last year. Can also clunk a ball pretty well. Got injured and now seems to have dropped off the radar all together, I think he is about 24-25.

Duffield is another bowler who had a good debut season last year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back