If England cared about the spirit of cricket, why didn't they retire Ben Duckett?

Remove this Banner Ad

greyhound punter

All Australian
Feb 1, 2023
AFL Club
Essendon
A serious question.

Pretty much every serious cricket follower accepts that Duckett was legally caught by Starc, yet as the law is worded, there is room for the catch to be ruled not out.

So why didn't England retire Duckett to acknowledge the spirit of cricket? The answer is simple: because England were fighting back and a break had gone their way.

The question you are asking here, is why don’t people walk? I think this had been debated enough. This happens countlessly throughout the game of cricket. Not everyone can be an Adam Gilchrist

The most talked about moment when Gilly walked was the 2003 World Cup semi final when he actually wasn't out. I don't think Ponting was best pleased when Gilly walked either.

Last edited:

I'm fine with any batsman waiting for the 3rd umpire's decision while the the validity or otherwise of a catch is being examined. However, England's current players and members of staff are needlessly tying themselves in knots over the spirit of cricket due to their ridiculous reaction to Carey getting Bairstow out stumped.

Previous Australian sides made a thing of saying ''we play hard but we play fair'' or ''we know where the line is and we won't cross it'' which ended up putting target on their backs for when the rest of the world thought they had a ''gotcha'' moment to hold against the Aussie side which came in Cape Town in 2018.

The way England are going, they're in the same situation around this mythical thing called ''the spirit of cricket''. They're putting a target on their backs for the day a gotcha moment comes when the rest of the world can say ''what happened to the spirit of cricket''?

At the end of the day, all teams are better off letting their cricket do the talking.

That is the point, why would Australia withdraw their appeal, Bairstow was stumped according to the laws of the game
The idea is that a sporting contest should be decided by skill against skill not on whether a player is unaware that the ball is in play. Now Bairstow absolutely should have known so I don't have a problem with his dismissal but it's not the same as Duckett being dropped on the boundary.

The idea is that a sporting contest should be decided by skill against skill not on whether a player is unaware that the ball is in play. Now Bairstow absolutely should have known so I don't have a problem with his dismissal but it's not the same as Duckett being dropped on the boundary.
Not so, sporting contests are decided by score, you obtain those scores by any means available within the laws of the game.

A champion team will always beat a team of champions. Skill only gets you so far then little things like knowing when you are out of your crease and luck come into it.

Knowing when you are out of your crease is a skill. A very basic one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't reckon Duckett was legally caught by Starc. Talking about it at the pub the other night with mates who have all played and they all said it wasn't a catch either. They didn't retire Duckett because the umpire gave it not out. End of story for me.

I don't reckon Duckett was legally caught by Starc. Talking about it at the pub the other night with mates who have all played and they all said it wasn't a catch either. They didn't retire Duckett because the umpire gave it not out. End of story for me.
I was surprised at the reaction from some Australian media, you never ground the ball palm down. Not sure what Starc was thinking, just drop onto the ground if you need or wait to stop.

I think there are worse examples of England/Bairstow doing something very similar and getting applauded for it. It's baffling that some of the Pom media think that Bairstow was owed a second chance for losing concentration.

Last edited:
A serious question.

Pretty much every serious cricket follower accepts that Duckett was legally caught by Starc, yet as the law is worded, there is room for the catch to be ruled not out.

So why didn't England retire Duckett to acknowledge the spirit of cricket? The answer is simple: because England were fighting back and a break had gone their way.

Only biased Australians accept that Starc’s catch was legal…

I think its the inconsistency with catches that annoys people i mean look at this from root he clearly grassed the ball claimed it confidently which leads to on field soft single of out and somehow thats enough to uphold a clear bump ball

"I’m an honest guy, I am not going to try and cheat the game regardless of the situation." - Joe Root Aug 2019

Check mate Australians.

Root always does that with dodgy catches btw, he knows how important soft signal is so very confidently celebrates ones like that to get signal go his way im not expert on spirit of the game like our english friends but i find stuff like that to be highly dubious.

A serious question.

don't agree with your example but that doesn't matter. spirit of cricket is just a thing that gets invoked if there's a chance it will make the opposition look like assholes or hypocrites. everyone knows that just about every team or player has a spirit of cricket's skeleton in their closet.
ussie captured the high ground on this, and the spirit of cricket preamble mentions it as well - respect the authority of the umpires.

Was watching some old cricket matches today.....George Bailey caught at slip, 1st innings, 2013 Gabba test match, Alistair Cook, exact same situation as Starc. Everyone just accepts bailey was fairly caught. No whinging.

Also, what about this gem, anyone remember 2008 Eng v SA at Edgbaston. 1st innings, South Africa's batsmen complained of not being able to see the ball out of a dark window above the sightscreen at one end.

This lead to the dismissal of Kallis in the 1st innings. Michael Vaughan refused to allow a sheet to be placed over the windows as, at the time, the match regulations prevented "conditions" being changed once a game had started without the opposing captains approval.

Vaughan, realising he had a crucial advantage if SA couldn't see Flintoff's full deliveries as they flew out of the dark screen...refused to allow the sheet to be put up.

In the 2nd innings, 2 SA batsmen were dismissed to full tosses, LBW, after not picking up the ball: Neil McKensie and Kallis.

After Kallis was dismissed, Vaughan, who at the time was in the final dregs of an unremarkable career, gives Kallis a knowing glance and a laugh as he embraces Flintoff.

Vaughan, the master pot stirrer, is apparently under £500 000 of debt spent on lawyers during his racism battle v the ECB. It couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

But hey, keep reminding us savages about the spirit of cricket.

What a joke.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back