The beginning of the end of Australia as a cricketing superpower.

Remove this Banner Ad

the same XI will saddle up in 4 weeks time in the 1st test in new zealand.

others in the squad will probably be renshaw, boland and morris.

i doubt they'll take a huge squad seeing its 2 back to back tests and in any case could have the likes of inglis and murphy over there pretty quick in need.

i doubt they'll take a huge squad seeing its 2 back to back tests and in any case could have the likes of inglis and murphy over there pretty quick in need.
No good taking Boland to be the drink boy again,leave him here to play some shield cricket.Same with Maxwell,needs some red ball cricket.

If we go with the current batting lineup NZ Will cream us at home. Green is not a top 6 batsman and Smith is not an opener. I still have my doubts about Marsh as a consistent top 6 batsman also. With Labuschagne badly out of form our batting is woeful and sure enough NZ will prepare seaming pitches that expose this weakness.

I'm not sure we are a cricketing superpower as such. India is still the team to beat in all formats. Loss to India in India on the back of India defeating us previously at home. Drawn Ashes series. They have managed to win important games (WTC Final, World Cup Final, 1st two Tests in Ashes) and have been very well lead by Cummins and co.

The drop in form of Labuschagne is worrying. Head is a match winner, but not consistent. Having the "potential" of Green before him and a similar "hit or miss" player in Marsh behind him leaves our batting vulnerable if either Khawaja or Smith don't bat for a couple of sessions.

Our bowling is top notch and depth yet to be tested. That is certain to happen soon.

No good taking Boland to be the drink boy again,leave him here to play some shield cricket.Same with Maxwell,needs some red ball cricket.

he's still next cab off the rank at the moment and will only play the 2nd test in nz if one of the big 3 break down in the 1st test.

8 months will then elapse and he'll be 35 and a half come the start of next summer, so he will be moved on from then surely.

he's still next cab off the rank at the moment and will only play the 2nd test in nz if one of the big 3 break down in the 1st test.

8 months will then elapse and he'll be 35 and a half come the start of next summer, so he will be moved on from then surely.
Need another fast bowler to be on stand bye,let him play some cricket.

If we go with the current batting lineup NZ Will cream us at home. Green is not a top 6 batsman and Smith is not an opener. I still have my doubts about Marsh as a consistent top 6 batsman also. With Labuschagne badly out of form our batting is woeful and sure enough NZ will prepare seaming pitches that expose this weakness.
Batting line-ups of

Shadman Islam
Mahmudul Hasan Joy
Najmul Hossain Shanto
Mominul Haque
Mushfiqur Rahim
Litton Das

and

Dean Elgar
Sarel Erwee
Aidan Markram
Rassie van der Dussen
Temba Bavuma
Kyle Verreynne

won Tests and drew series in New Zealand. Australia's current top 6 is far superior to those so to say it is will get creamed seems a little far-fetched.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Australia clean sweeps the home summer?

'Too easy, the pitches are roads, touring teams are crap, Test cricket is dying, rabble rabble rabble'

Australia loses a Test at home?

'End of an era, only going down from here, players are too old, they all have poor techniques, it's over'

I would say that Australian 'fans' would have to be some of the worst in the English speaking world.

We knew that after sandpapergate but this thread is a reminder, we aren't dealing with the brightest people here.

I guess winning world cups and test championships don't count then..

Someone has to be winning them.

NZ not too long ago were reigning WTC winners and were an overthrow from being the ODI world champs at the same time. Had that not happened and they won it, I doubt people would be calling them a superpower, they’d be calling them, rightly, the current world test and one day champions.

Australia HAS been for much of the last 30 years a superpower of cricket and for much of that 30 years it has been across the two main formats but since 2005 when they lost the Ashes and then a few years later when SA won here and basically took top spot for 8 years and only lost two test series over the course of a decade, Australia have never had a stranglehold on test cricket. They’ve won two world cups in ODI cricket, missed out in two others but fair to say they’ve been the most dominant team in that format, and won a T20 title along the way so it’s not like they’ve dropped off the map.

But superpower would probably be a stretch for that period.

So right now at this minute, this actual team itself yes now question it is the current title holder - I would say India has a legitimate claim at being the best performed over a lengthy period but fair play, there is a trophy up for grabs every two years and Australia holds it, and they hold the ODI version as well.

But I don’t think THATS what qualifies a team as a superpower.

I’d say Australia’s continual presence as one of the better sides around, across the formats, for three decades is what makes it so

Australia clean sweeps the home summer?

'Too easy, the pitches are roads, touring teams are crap, Test cricket is dying, rabble rabble rabble'

Australia loses a Test at home?

'End of an era, only going down from here, players are too old, they all have poor techniques, it's over'

I would say that Australian 'fans' would have to be some of the worst in the English speaking world.

We knew that after sandpapergate but this thread is a reminder, we aren't dealing with the brightest people here.

Im not saying this IS happening, please don’t misinterpret this.

And I personally don’t think this would happen because the population base is just too big and the infrastructure is too good for it to ever drop off to the same extent.

But there are some minor parallels in recent series to what was starting to happen to the Windies by the early to mid 90s.

Essentially by the time Australia beat them and by the time that famous 1999 series rolled around, the Windies were still competing but they were doing it on the back of what was still a very formidable bowling attack. Up until Bishop finished up in 1998, they still more or less always had Walsh and Ambrose and at least one other quick of relatively world class quality and that was ensuring that they stayed competitive. Their batting line up however had been whittled down to Lara, Chanderpaul who had yet to reach the sort of level that he would find post-2000 where his average climbed past 50, and Jimmy Adams who’s career started spectacularly (he averaged mid 60s approaching his 20th test and scraped home at a tad over 40 when he retired). Carl Hooper was ever present but was low 30s and it was only a late career resurgence after the turn of the century where he averaged 50 as captain that took it up into the mid 30s.

The likes of Keith Arthurton were tried and failed. Sherwin Campbell and Stuart Williams were continual failures, Adrian Griffith likewise, Junior Murray was not a patch on Dujon as a keeper.

Now again I’m not saying for a second that the current Aussie team is in that boat. But there are similar patterns in that those West Indies batsmen around the stars (think Khawaja and Smith for Australia now) would periodically pop up with a big score to allow their bowlers to do what they did best, and it would be enough for them to keep competing and things carried on.

Then suddenly those bowlers weren’t there anymore and it was Franklyn Rose, Reon King, Nixon McLean, Vasbert Drakes, Merv Dillon trying to become Curtly Ambrose and Courtney Walsh and Ian Bishop, and when the Windies DID find some batting - Sarwan, Chanderpaul making more runs, Gayle arrived, Wavell Hinds formed an ok partnership with him, Lara continued, Ridley Jacobs was a fine keeper batsman, Hooper had his resurgence, the bowling wasn’t enough to win them more games.

As I said I severely doubt Australia will ever fall away like the West Indies but I wouldn’t be surprised as the batting goes through a transition, if they suddenly discover a handful of capable replacements for the guys that they have lost (Warner) and will lose soon (Smith, Khawaja) but that they find themselves unable to replace such an unbelievable attack.

Im not saying this IS happening, please don’t misinterpret this.

And I personally don’t think this would happen because the population base is just too big and the infrastructure is too good for it to ever drop off to the same extent.

But there are some minor parallels in recent series to what was starting to happen to the Windies by the early to mid 90s.

Essentially by the time Australia beat them and by the time that famous 1999 series rolled around, the Windies were still competing but they were doing it on the back of what was still a very formidable bowling attack. Up until Bishop finished up in 1998, they still more or less always had Walsh and Ambrose and at least one other quick of relatively world class quality and that was ensuring that they stayed competitive. Their batting line up however had been whittled down to Lara, Chanderpaul who had yet to reach the sort of level that he would find post-2000 where his average climbed past 50, and Jimmy Adams who’s career started spectacularly (he averaged mid 60s approaching his 20th test and scraped home at a tad over 40 when he retired). Carl Hooper was ever present but was low 30s and it was only a late career resurgence after the turn of the century where he averaged 50 as captain that took it up into the mid 30s.

The likes of Keith Arthurton were tried and failed. Sherwin Campbell and Stuart Williams were continual failures, Adrian Griffith likewise, Junior Murray was not a patch on Dujon as a keeper.

Now again I’m not saying for a second that the current Aussie team is in that boat. But there are similar patterns in that those West Indies batsmen around the stars (think Khawaja and Smith for Australia now) would periodically pop up with a big score to allow their bowlers to do what they did best, and it would be enough for them to keep competing and things carried on.

Then suddenly those bowlers weren’t there anymore and it was Franklyn Rose, Reon King, Nixon McLean, Vasbert Drakes, Merv Dillon trying to become Curtly Ambrose and Courtney Walsh and Ian Bishop, and when the Windies DID find some batting - Sarwan, Chanderpaul making more runs, Gayle arrived, Wavell Hinds formed an ok partnership with him, Lara continued, Ridley Jacobs was a fine keeper batsman, Hooper had his resurgence, the bowling wasn’t enough to win them more games.

As I said I severely doubt Australia will ever fall away like the West Indies but I wouldn’t be surprised as the batting goes through a transition, if they suddenly discover a handful of capable replacements for the guys that they have lost (Warner) and will lose soon (Smith, Khawaja) but that they find themselves unable to replace such an unbelievable attack.

So basically what you are saying is that Australia's world-leading bowling attack will be hard to replace when they retire.

Thanks for the hot take, chief 👍

So basically what you are saying is that Australia's world-leading bowling attack will be hard to replace when they retire.

Thanks for the hot take, chief 👍

I’m saying that what is currently happening right now - and has been happening over the past two years - is literally what was happening to the West Indies during what is increasingly being recognised as the start of a downward spiral.

The West Indies era is recognised as 1980-95 ‘officially’ as they were undefeated during that time.

But during these more and more frequent ‘what went wrong’ analytical stories that pop up, they start to trace it to long before 1995 and they point to periods before that where it wasn’t the team that was winning, it was the bowling unit, with the odd performance from one of Lara, Richardson, or very occasionally Hooper or Adams that was maintaining their record.

This is what has been happening to Australia for a while now.

Yes of course they are going to be hard to replace ‘Chief’. I’m saying that it’s already been the case for a while and that maybe some forward planning while they still have those bowlers around to intersperse them wouldn’t be without merit.

As I said it is never ever going to get as dire as what happened to the WI there’s too good a structure behind Australian cricket but that’s not to say it couldn’t drop them to the middle of the road for a good period of time.

Historically Australia are clearly the super power, in test cricket easily most successful test team with multiple dominant eras and 6 time odi champs as well, the fact people are crying about current side shows how good australia have been people are so spoiled even having just a very solid side seems like end of the world for them.

It's ludicrous to think otherwise.

Lose a test to a bowler who had a day out and suddenly the past doesn't matter anymore apparently.

I think what will be interesting to see is whether Andrew McDonald's hands off coaching style will be effective once the old guard start to retire.

It's proven to be an extremely effective method of coaching for these blokes who are all well established in International Cricket and know their own needs. While we haven't always looked great you can't argue with results.

Hey may want to keep that approach as the side starts to swap out for younger blokes, but will it work? You need a lot more oversight and training hours in to develop the newbies, whether he completely changes tact or simply splits the training out to reflect the different parts of the team will be an interesting watch.

I think what will be interesting to see is whether Andrew McDonald's hands off coaching style will be effective once the old guard start to retire.

It's proven to be an extremely effective method of coaching for these blokes who are all well established in International Cricket and know their own needs. While we haven't always looked great you can't argue with results.

Hey may want to keep that approach as the side starts to swap out for younger blokes, but will it work? You need a lot more oversight and training hours in to develop the newbies, whether he completely changes tact or simply splits the training out to reflect the different parts of the team will be an interesting watch.
The thing is, anyone who comes in is unlikely to be a newbie, this isn’t an afl side bottoming out. They’ll most like be 25+ with 5+ years of FC cricket at a minimum. There may be the odd youngster in the mix, but i doubt there will be many if any.

On the coaching style, I think it’s hands off in so much as it’s collaborative. They have very clear plans, and they stick to them - they play the percentages knowing that more often than not it will get them the results they’re looking for. It’s a very process oriented approach. Sometimes this looks boring and can be frustrating to watch, but the results are there. With new team members the results may dip for a time, and some plans may need to be adjusted as such, but at this stage I’d back them.

Why are people panicking? Let's wait and see what happens in NZ first. Every sporting team has an upset loss at some stage, the Aussie team have just come off a hectic schedule over the past 12 months, why are people running around like headless chooks stating it's the end of an era? Just calm the farm and have some faith that Marnus will regain form, Green will come good, and let's face it, he's hardly played the long form of the game for ages. Smith is Smith, he will be a bigger problem for any opposition team than anything they have.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back