Test The beginning of the end of India as a cricketing superpower

Remove this Banner Ad

Hit and giggle t20 batsmen who aren’t fit to tie kohlis laces, relying on dust bowls to beat opposition which is being found out.

Discuss.
Know this is a dig at my my thread. But there's truth to your post and similarities with us. A strong bowling attack carries a suspect battling line up.

They've started their transition with Rahane and Pujara seemingly moved away from. Kohli, Sharma, Ashwin and Jadeja all between 35 and 37.
They do have a much larger talent pool to pick from than us, but finding anyone with a proper test match technique is hard work these days.

Know this is a dig at my my thread. But there's truth to your post and similarities with us. A strong bowling attack carries a suspect battling line up.

They've started their transition with Rahane and Pujara seemingly moved away from. Kohli, Sharma, Ashwin and Jadeja all between 35 and 37.
They do have a much larger talent pool to pick from than us, but finding anyone with a proper test match technique is hard work these days.

I just think things are more even, though you are right about their greater talent pool.

If all this leads to more even and unpredictable test cricket I’m all for it.

As Vaughnie said a few weeks ago ...what have they won ????

an ageing side that relies on conditions at home to get them wins and a captain who consistently makes starts and doesn't convert

and why is a spinner batting at six ???...probably because they have too many t20 hit and giggle players who can't play in the middle order

Hit and giggle t20 batsmen who aren’t fit to tie kohlis laces, relying on dust bowls to beat opposition which is being found out.

Discuss.
look at Gill.....all the talk about him as a gun player....well maybe on flat white ball decks where you can play through the line ...but look at his test record 21 tests averaging less than 30.....29

The impending retirement of Jadeja will be tough for them to manage. There may be one somewhere in the records but I struggle to think of a better spinning all rounder.

Aubrey Faulkner averaged 40 with the bat for a shithouse SA side and 26 with the ball as a leg spinner over 25 tests in their formative years.

He’s the primary one that comes to mind and naturally people will have their opinions as to where his record sits given the period in which that record was constructed but for the strength of his side alone it is worthy of consideration because they were a true minnow at the time.

Sobers is the obvious one but I don’t know what the break up of his fast bowling to slow bowling wickets is.

Daniel Vettori is an interesting one because his bowling record looks pretty mediocre - 362 wickets at 34. But he bowled mostly on pretty unhelpful wickets and in pretty ordinary sides so that needs to be taken into consideration and he batted a lot of his career at 8 or lower and still managed to average 30 (yes he managed to get 20-odd not outs) but could have made a lot more runs in different circumstances and better sides.

Either way Jadeja would have to be right up there

an ageing side that relies on conditions at home to get them wins and a captain who consistently makes starts and doesn't convert

and why is a spinner batting at six ???...probably because they have too many t20 hit and giggle players who can't play in the middle order
Test series in Australia?

India being s**t at Test Cricket is NOT what anyone should want. They are in bed with the Saudis and the only reason money is pumped into the sport - if they suck at test cricket they'll just stop bothering with it. For all the hate at ECB they pump test cricket more than any other nation.

If India sucks at Tests the sport is just gonna become the Ashes every couple years.

India being s**t at Test Cricket is NOT what anyone should want. They are in bed with the Saudis and the only reason money is pumped into the sport - if they suck at test cricket they'll just stop bothering with it. For all the hate at ECB they pump test cricket more than any other nation.

If India sucks at Tests the sport is just gonna become the Ashes every couple years.
next summer will be interesting

two ageing sides going head to head

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've been saying this for awhile, their home pitch preparation of recent years will short change them long term.
Almost as if the team is being driven by short term results instead of long term growth...now where have I seen that failure before.

Ravindra-Jadeja-1-1-1200x675.webp

When you average 37 with the bat, what's stopping him from batting at 6?
Srikar is still untested with the bat at International level

In tests a lot, cmon they won two series in aus in few years nearly won in england and havent lost at home for 12 years they have still been best test side last 5-6 years.

Be interesting if england can stay competitive in this current series but lets wait and see we slowly got ground down in 17 after taking lead so did england last time they toured india its a good start but its a long series in the toughest place to tour.

Aubrey Faulkner averaged 40 with the bat for a shithouse SA side and 26 with the ball as a leg spinner over 25 tests in their formative years.

He’s the primary one that comes to mind and naturally people will have their opinions as to where his record sits given the period in which that record was constructed but for the strength of his side alone it is worthy of consideration because they were a true minnow at the time.

Sobers is the obvious one but I don’t know what the break up of his fast bowling to slow bowling wickets is.

Daniel Vettori is an interesting one because his bowling record looks pretty mediocre - 362 wickets at 34. But he bowled mostly on pretty unhelpful wickets and in pretty ordinary sides so that needs to be taken into consideration and he batted a lot of his career at 8 or lower and still managed to average 30 (yes he managed to get 20-odd not outs) but could have made a lot more runs in different circumstances and better sides.

Either way Jadeja would have to be right up there
Bit harsh there I reckon Phat

362 test wickets @ 34 for an off spinner is pretty good in my books. And as you pointed out, this was done in a very ordinary (at times) NZ test sides.

I always rated him.

Obviously it goes without saying that Chris Gayle was the best of the logi
Bit harsh there I reckon Phat

362 test wickets @ 34 for an off spinner is pretty good in my books. And as you pointed out, this was done in a very ordinary (at times) NZ test sides.

I always rated him.

Look don’t get me wrong I think he was one of the smartest bowlers around, rarely coming in behind quick attacks that had the opposition in any sort of trouble, rarely with conditions in his favour and rarely with scoreboard pressure through strength of 400+ scores from the batsmen. I think he did a tremendous job and he was one of the grittiest batsmen around

They won’t suck, maybe we are entering an era where there is very little between the top 3, and maybe more.

We have been conditioned to think that there has to be one super team that will dominate for 10-15 years, even though only 2 of those have really existed in history, and one followed the other.

Its going that way no matter how india do in tests, the push for longer 20/20 events isnt about results its about control of the sport and the lions share of the tv revenue the sport creates.

Its also why people are being delusional thinking either result yesterday means anything for test cricket, results aren't issue the distribution of television money at top is the issue none of that is likely to change due to any on field test results, windies are i same boat as a week ago they need more money to play home tests they need money to retain test stars if no more money comes in nothing will change.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back