Ben Hilfenhaus

Remove this Banner Ad

You guys are kidding yourself. Eight overs of domestic T20 counts for nothing.

A lot of people don't realise that Hilfy has had a ****ton of back problems these past couple of years. Lost a lot of venom off the deck, and his swing became gentle and from the hand as opposed to late and sharp. The last bout nearly ended his career. The Hilfy we saw in the Ashes is nothing like what the fit bloke can do. He gunned it in South Africa, he gunned it against the poms in pommyland, if his body is sound, he will carve.

He's in the Watto, Marsh and Harris mould. When fit, a gun.

I thought they said Hilfy had knee tendonitis. It was Brett Geeves who had to retire because of a crook back. Hilfy has bowled well all season so far. He didnt get a lot of wickets early on but he had a lot of play & misses as he had the ball swinging late. Just like two years ago. If he can bowl well it will help take the pressue off the other quicks. Hopefully Cummings will be back in the picture soon.

I thought they said Hilfy had knee tendonitis. It was Brett Geeves who had to retire because of a crook back. Hilfy has bowled well all season so far. He didnt get a lot of wickets early on but he had a lot of play & misses as he had the ball swinging late. Just like two years ago. If he can bowl well it will help take the pressue off the other quicks. Hopefully Cummings will be back in the picture soon.

Referred issues from long standing back trouble.

HYPE

"He's certainly trying to come from different areas [on the crease] a bit more, Bailey said. "He's also had a bit of trouble with knee tendinitis, and I don't think he did it consciously but he just slightly adjusted his action and was bowling around his front knee a bit more. And he does bowl from quite close to the stumps, so if he was swinging it, it was swinging a little early, rather than coming a little wider of the crease and angling in at the stumps before taking it away.

"Hilfy is someone who needs to see the results before he believes something, but there is no doubt I think if he can learn to use the crease a bit more, come from wider and angle in before taking it away, he will not need to swing it as much as he thinks he needs to.

"He's certainly done that for periods, he's starting to bowl a better length that suits him, giving him the chance to move the ball, because he has got a skill that not a great deal of bowlers in Australia have in terms of being able to swing the ball at pretty good pace. He's still working on those things and working pretty hard."

2013 Ashes Leading Wicket Taker
calling it early

Im actually fine with him being played in england, i have serious doubts about his ability on flat wickets but his record in england is solid.

This particular test match he has to play, if it's between starc and hilf then hilf has to play, starc was very disappointing on two helpful tracks.

These T20 wickets are flat tracks. He swings the ball naturally, it is his ability to get it in the right area that lets him down at international level.

There's no more left handers left to dismiss so Hilf will struggle to add a few more going by history. The only change I was able to notice between the Hilf of today and the Hilf of last year is that the bad balls he bowls to the right handers are now on leg stump instead of outside off stump. Which I suppose is making the batsman play them. Let's hope he was just slow off the blocks (or more accurately, fast out of the blocks before hitting the wall for most of the race but will finish strong.) and we'll see some changes tomorrow. As noted by Ian Chappell though he's still coming in very very close to the stumps..... He was a bit faster I suppose. Although because he got dragged 2-3 overs into each spell post the first spell it's hard to tell whether that'll be consistent throughout the test. On the whole, I got what I expected so it's hard to be disappointed.

A lot of people don't realise that Hilfy has had a ****ton of back problems these past couple of years. Lost a lot of venom off the deck, and his swing became gentle and from the hand as opposed to late and sharp. The last bout nearly ended his career. The Hilfy we saw in the Ashes is nothing like what the fit bloke can do. He gunned it in South Africa, he gunned it against the poms in pommyland, if his body is sound, he will carve.

He's in the Watto, Marsh and Harris mould. When fit, a gun.
The only gun he'll be is when he's carrying one. In South Africa he got 7 wickets at 53. No-on gunned it in England, just some were better than others.

Cricdinfo had it right today. It said something like this, "why didn't Australia learn from last year that Siddle and Hilfenhaus in the same side doesn't work. One, yes, two, no". Can't carry two average quicks. Of the two I'd go Siddle. At least he's come on somewhat.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

he's a chance with the new pill. bout it really at test level

bowled very well this morning. was too short after his first spell yesterday. first test 5fa coming up? new ball too. big chance.

Yep was average after the new ball yesterday. Today he's absolutely killing it, good on Mcdermott for fixing him up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back