Cups WR​

Last edited:

members section

Team Captain
Sep 7, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
played whittlesea country club tonight shot 99 (par 73, play off 33) couple of nice holes wouldnt rate it up there as anything special. will prob only go back cause its within 30 min of me.

had a 47 on the front & 52 on the back but started putting pretty bad on the back that really cost me.

Feb 15, 2002
Jackson-Steinem
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Bluestar Airlines, Anacott Steel

National - Ocean course. Stableford

40 points, second place (cant remember how much prizemoney).

25 front 9, 15 back 9.

finished with 3 wipes including the 16th and 18th (hardest hole)

think only got 1 par.

wind, not a lot by national standards. refreshing considering how fkin humid it was on sunday.

Medal round this saturday....stroke ocean course.

prob play moonah afterwards.

getthefooty

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 30, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Now need to get a handicap, any suggestions of the best way to go about it? Take in mind that I am not a member of a course and probably couldn't afford it.

I'm in the same boat. Only 19 and don't have the funds. I know you have to keep around 5 scorecards, but where to from there?

On topic, played Ivanhoe last Friday for the first time, what a terrible public course that is. Only 4500mish yet the walk between holes is a nightmare, I'm sure they could have positioned the holes better to cut down the walks. Up and down hills constantly as well. Anyway, just broke 90 I think, which is pretty average on that course seeing as there are a number of drivable par 4's. Greens are ridiculous though, really sandy and I had a huge amount of 3 putts.

I'm in the same boat. Only 19 and don't have the funds. I know you have to keep around 5 scorecards, but where to from there?

On topic, played Ivanhoe last Friday for the first time, what a terrible public course that is. Only 4500mish yet the walk between holes is a nightmare, I'm sure they could have positioned the holes better to cut down the walks. Up and down hills constantly as well. Anyway, just broke 90 I think, which is pretty average on that course seeing as there are a number of drivable par 4's. Greens are ridiculous though, really sandy and I had a huge amount of 3 putts.

you can join any public course, shouldnt be that much (aware that everyones different). ask around a few local courses.

so basically, keep scorecards (they have to be marked by someone), apply for membership and then the course will hand em in for you.

i think youll need at least 3 of the cards played at your intended home course

members section

Team Captain
Sep 7, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne

mine is done through my social club, soical clubs are pretty good you get to play a diff course every month

Vincent Chase

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 27, 2011
MadiZen Square Garden.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
New York Knicks, Jets
strong thread.

Course: Lost Farm
Handicap: 8
Competition:$10 in with 12 mates. Winner take all (Stableford).

Started with a blistering drive off the first, and then proceeded to fly the green with my 2nd and made bogey. Pretty much every hole was like this the front nine. Finished the front nine with 11 points. lol.

Come back strong the 2nd nine with a bird and a lot of pars. Finished with 20 points the back.

Result: 31 points. Didn't get close to the win. Lost 3 balls.

Great weather and was an enjoyable day, even though i didn't play overly well.

Started with a blistering drive off the first, and then proceeded to fly the green with my 2nd and made bogey. Pretty much every hole was like this the front nine. Finished the front nine with 11 points. lol.

amare like

Come back strong the 2nd nine with a bird and a lot of pars. Finished with 20 points the back.

came back hard like kobe. clutch

Vincent Chase

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 27, 2011
MadiZen Square Garden.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
New York Knicks, Jets
amare like

there was not a lot of defensive golf being played

came back hard like kobe. clutch

a lot of shots, for not many points? :D

playing in a pro/am friday. I'll try not to embarrass myself too much.

the pro i'm playing with is on the Korean Tour. You might know him PN :p

Feb 15, 2002
Jackson-Steinem
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
there was not a lot of defensive golf being played

a lot of shots, for not many points? :D

playing in a pro/am friday. I'll try not to embarrass myself too much.

the pro i'm playing with is on the Korean Tour. You might know him PN :p

The Blade?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

getthefooty

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 30, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
you can join any public course, shouldnt be that much (aware that everyones different). ask around a few local courses.

so basically, keep scorecards (they have to be marked by someone), apply for membership and then the course will hand em in for you.

i think youll need at least 3 of the cards played at your intended home course

Cheers mate. Any suggestions for getting lessons?

iDon

Find me on the Golf Board
Jan 30, 2006
AFL Club
Essendon
Had a round at Royal Park yesterday afternoon. Only place my mate plays. I think its because he isn't an overly great player but if he plays well he can go around in low / mid 40s. Gives him confidence.

Didn't play well, irons were s**t. Not happy. And kept pulling my short irons from the tea, perhaps I was trying to get heaps of distance out of them.

Shot 41. And never going back to the course, it is just s**t.

Feb 15, 2002
Jackson-Steinem
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
I've been playing fairly shyte recently, particularly with the irons, basically playing bogey golf each week.

So with the club champs* on this weekend I thought I'd better put in some practice this week, so before I went I had a really good think about it & what I could do to do stop $#&^king the damn ball.

My bright idea being to hold the club slightly further down the shaft Sergio style.

My last 5 rounds have been (par 37-36) handicap 14

43 50
45 45
46 39 - 39 without attempting a full iron shot :eek:
45 49
49 42

Average 2.6 GIR :eek: 30.6 putts

So I take my new found theory to the driving range on Tuesday night, and lo and behold they start coming out of the middle :thumbsu: and generally heading in the direction they are intended, I've always been shyte with my irons, (reasonable off the tee, reasonable short game and a good putter)

last year averaged 2.9 GIR :( & 30.6 putts per round

but post Tuesday nights session I'm feeling a whole lot better

The only worry being that I'm going to lose some distance with a truncated back swing, not that that really matters if they go straight and solid.

So Wednesday I hit the course after work, hit 2 balls around 7 holes - 10th hole 2 solid tee shots, 2 GIR, 2 pars, 11th hole 254m + 232m drives, irons in - one in right bunker & 1 on for a par and a bogie, & so on and so forth. I was hitting them solid for the first time in a long time, with no real loss in distance.

Thursday, driving range, solid with the odd flair right (I'm usually a hooker)

So all in all feeling good.

So this afternoon a few us from work hit Ringwood public. 1000 metres shorter than what I'm used to, condition good though greens as you would expect are slightly furrier.

http://www.oobgolf.com/courses/scorecard.php?id=26676

1. Solid tee shot, sand iron to 8 feet - birdie (-1)
2. Solid tee shot ran out of fairway, 4 iron out of trees, sand iron on, nail 20 footer - par (-1)
3. 8 iron to 10 feet, nail putt, birdie (-2)
4. Tug tee shot onto next fairway, PW back on to appropriate fairway, 7 iron in misses just right (should have been a 6 iron, but that's in 3 pieces from previous weeks shanks), chip on, 1 putt par (-2)
5. PW leaks high and left, just off, poorish chip and miss 10 footer, bogie (-1)
6. Solid tee shot leaks left, 7 iron bunt up the right hand side, sand wedge to 10 feet, lip out par (-1)
7. Nail tee shot, sand wedge in to less than 10 feet, u turn out par (-1)
8. 8 iron solid finishes right of green, good chip, tap in par (-1)

Fair to say I've never played nine holes under par before

9. 220m par 4, get a little excited and pull the drive left, up against native grass type bush and I have an airy :eek:, hack the next one out, chip on, 2 putts, double (+1)

36 off the stick, 4 GIR, 12 putts - bring on the club champs :thumbsu:

The back nine wasn't so exciting, par, par, bogie, par, lost ball quad :(, double, par, bogie, par, for a 43 - 79.

Bring on the champs, though I may be golfed out

*member at full length private course in the south east

members section

Team Captain
Sep 7, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
had a hit after work out at bundoora tonight, nothing special of a course was a bit annoyed when every course in the n/e region offers unlimited golf for the price of 9 after 3pm & they charged me the full bang for 18 & said bad luck if you dont finish. I did finish before the sun went down & played okay.

par 72 standard 2 x p3's,p5's on each nines. play off 33 & finished with a 98. so i spose i should be happy but i shot a 46 on the front with 2 pars & a birdie. 1st birdie in over 2 yrs since i had a 15 foota at the growling frog. the back i must have been getting a bit tired had a 52 didnt even manage a par.

the course is in okay nick, the fairways have improve at hell of a lot from about 5 years ago reminds me a bit of yarrambat with out the hills & not quite as good. it is very narrow & alot of trees so alot of the time its hard to hit out. if you live in the area worth a hit but dont bother traveling.

off to brighton tomoz arvo with a mate then st andrews beach on sunday morning for the 1st round of the social club!

I've been playing fairly shyte recently, particularly with the irons, basically playing bogey golf each week.

So with the club champs* on this weekend I thought I'd better put in some practice this week, so before I went I had a really good think about it & what I could do to do stop $#&^king the damn ball.

My bright idea being to hold the club slightly further down the shaft Sergio style.

My last 5 rounds have been (par 37-36) handicap 14

43 50
45 45
46 39 - 39 without attempting a full iron shot :eek:
45 49
49 42

Average 2.6 GIR :eek: 30.6 putts

So I take my new found theory to the driving range on Tuesday night, and lo and behold they start coming out of the middle :thumbsu: and generally heading in the direction they are intended, I've always been shyte with my irons, (reasonable off the tee, reasonable short game and a good putter)

last year averaged 2.9 GIR :( & 30.6 putts per round

but post Tuesday nights session I'm feeling a whole lot better

The only worry being that I'm going to lose some distance with a truncated back swing, not that that really matters if they go straight and solid.

So Wednesday I hit the course after work, hit 2 balls around 7 holes - 10th hole 2 solid tee shots, 2 GIR, 2 pars, 11th hole 254m + 232m drives, irons in - one in right bunker & 1 on for a par and a bogie, & so on and so forth. I was hitting them solid for the first time in a long time, with no real loss in distance.

Thursday, driving range, solid with the odd flair right (I'm usually a hooker)

So all in all feeling good.

So this afternoon a few us from work hit Ringwood public. 1000 metres shorter than what I'm used to, condition good though greens as you would expect are slightly furrier.

http://www.oobgolf.com/courses/scorecard.php?id=26676

1. Solid tee shot, sand iron to 8 feet - birdie (-1)
2. Solid tee shot ran out of fairway, 4 iron out of trees, sand iron on, nail 20 footer - par (-1)
3. 8 iron to 10 feet, nail putt, birdie (-2)
4. Tug tee shot onto next fairway, PW back on to appropriate fairway, 7 iron in misses just right (should have been a 6 iron, but that's in 3 pieces from previous weeks shanks), chip on, 1 putt par (-2)
5. PW leaks high and left, just off, poorish chip and miss 10 footer, bogie (-1)
6. Solid tee shot leaks left, 7 iron bunt up the right hand side, sand wedge to 10 feet, lip out par (-1)
7. Nail tee shot, sand wedge in to less than 10 feet, u turn out par (-1)
8. 8 iron solid finishes right of green, good chip, tap in par (-1)

Fair to say I've never played nine holes under par before

9. 220m par 4, get a little excited and pull the drive left, up against native grass type bush and I have an airy :eek:, hack the next one out, chip on, 2 putts, double (+1)

36 off the stick, 4 GIR, 12 putts - bring on the club champs :thumbsu:

The back nine wasn't so exciting, par, par, bogie, par, lost ball quad :(, double, par, bogie, par, for a 43 - 79.

Bring on the champs, though I may be golfed out

*member at full length private course in the south east

ringwood...ah my old home course. nice and forgiving, greens are easy but of course didnt go around in par. nice course!!

well, leaving for the national this morning. ocean course (stroke monthly medal).

tomorrow backing up same course same time. will go around the moonah course afterwards.

funk44

Skookum Choocher
Mar 31, 2010
AFL Club
Geelong
Great thread

my home club Woodlands Thursday evening

4th ate my lunch, managed a 7 on a par 4 of 254m and was no more than 60m from the pin on my 2nd shot.

Managed to scramble and shoot a 78, 2 shots under my handicap of 8

Don if your thinking about getting a handicap consider the following

http://www.racv.com.au/wps/wcm/connect/internet/primary/membership/RACV+Golf+Membership

$210 gets you a handicap and discounts at plenty of decent courses throughout Melbourne. Bloody good value if you ask me, bought them for a few mates this year who ive talked into playing golf and have now caught the bug, now im seriously considering picking up one for myself.

Solid discounts at clubs like Settlers Run, Ranfurlie, Long Island, Keysie, Sanctuary Lakes and Eyensbury and a golflink handicap... cant go wrong

iDon

Find me on the Golf Board
Jan 30, 2006
AFL Club
Essendon
Thank you funk, that does look a great deal.

I am playing a few rounds at Rosebud country (with my grandad) and Long Island with a couple of the old man's friends to get a few cards signed off.

How many do I need? Is it 3 or 5?

Feb 15, 2002
Jackson-Steinem
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
So with the club champs* on this weekend I thought I'd better put in some practice this week,

Club champs, B Grade, handicaps 10-15

looking for a +12 or better to set me up for top 8 qualifying playing off 14, qualifying is over 2 rounds.

10. Friggin waterfowl walks across tee as I'm swinging through, great friggin start. Tug left, scramble a bogie
11. Bogie, avg drive in middle, tug hybrid into bunker, out 2 putts
12. 177m, 5 iron to 5 feet, birdie, alright :thumbsu:
13. bogie, poor pitch
14. bogie, 5 iron flairs right
15. bogie, 5 iron just short, chip on (missed 3 footer)
16. bogie
17. bogie, tug gap wedge left into bunker
18. bogie

turn at +7. Feel I'm playing a touch conservatively, which is a) great that there's nothing worse than a bogie, & B shyte because I'm not giving myself enough par opporunities.

1. Par, hit GIR from 170ish with 5 iron after 2nd shot bounces back off trees, left putt short though
2. Tug tee shot, pitch back out onto fairway, flair 5 iron right, chip out from scrub, hit green from 75m, nail 20 footer, a good bogie :cool:
3. GIR, 3 putt bogie,
4. GIR with 5 iron from bunker, but 3 putt again for bogie
5. tug gap wedge left again, bunker shot to inches for par
6. Bogie
7. Miss sand wedge in, but get up and down for par
8. 8 iron short, up and down from bunker again for par
9. Bogie

+12 1 bird, 4 pars, 13 bogies, 4 GIR's 32 putts

top 10,

+3
+8
+9
+10
+11
+12
+12
+12
+13
+13

8 qualify after next week, again, I'll be looking for 85 or better, probably need an 84.

First time ever I've hit 13 bogies in a round. interesting round, shortening my grip definitely kept me straightish but I found I wasn't being aggressive particularly on pitches and first putts but very happy with the end result, the conservative play definitely kept the big numbers off the card.

Jan 7, 2011
Heaven. I mean Victoria.
AFL Club
St Kilda
Love Long Island (about 15 mins from my place) and also love a lot of the holes at Rosy Country. Both have nice, rolling, tree-lined fairways, with lush grass and terrific greens. Top courses. :thumbsu:

Had a round at Royal Park yesterday afternoon. Only place my mate plays. I think its because he isn't an overly great player but if he plays well he can go around in low / mid 40s. Gives him confidence.

Didn't play well, irons were s**t. Not happy. And kept pulling my short irons from the tea, perhaps I was trying to get heaps of distance out of them.

Shot 41. And never going back to the course, it is just s**t.
I feel you. I pretty much refuse to play courses like that any more, as I basically don't enjoy them one bit and golf is supposed to be fun. Once you start playing the top quality courses (even the public ones) it becomes harder and harder to bring yourself to play the Royal Parks, Elsternwicks and Oakleigh's of the golfing world.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back