Find me a 20 and 3 season besides that of Leigh Matthews and my signature is yours

Remove this Banner Ad

No, just referring to myself in the third person, since Smedts_2 sees fit to try and put words in my mouth.

simpsons-awkward-collar-pull-o.gif

So now podge is 'liking' his own posts and extending the life of this backfire thread by posting as Procrastinator35 ?
LOL :oops:

Give Podge some credit, he may be a slippery, stat-manipulating welcher, but he's not an idiot. ;)

Fyfie_ said:
Give Podge some credit, he may be a slippery, stat-manipulating welcher, but he's not an idiot. ;)
Thuis reminds me of that abe s**t where he says all that s**t about Homer and ends with he's not a pr0n star.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is my nom for TOTY 2014. :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

I set it at 20 because that's obviously a lot harder to achieve than over 15 or 10 or 5 games . . . Setting a high bar for achievement is not arbitrary at all.

But then you changed it later. After Haduken showed that there were a number of players that have acheived a 20 & 3 over 20 games in a single season. Why you change it, huh? You owe him your signature.

Fyfie_ said:

Give Podge some credit. He's not an idiot. He may be a slippery, stat-manipulating welcher and an idiot but he's not a pr0n star.

I set it at 20 because that's obviously a lot harder to achieve than over 15 or 10 or 5 games . . . Setting a high bar for achievement is not arbitrary at all.
Then I set it at 25, and now nobody has acheived it. 25 is the only non-arbitrary limit because it is the highest bar for acheivement possible, and since setting a high bar for achievement is not arbitrary anyway, 25 is the only real form of 20 & 3. Matthews failed to achieve a true 20 & 3. Now he is no better than Clarke and Brown, who all have lesser forms of 20 & 3s. How sad. I wonder who the first person to truly 20 & 3 will be.

You can come up with your own benchmarks for achievement if you want, but the 20 and 3 is over 20+ games in 1 season.
But you said your benchmark is not arbitrary. You also said the higher benchmark is harder to achieve. So why is your benchmark only 20? The only non-arbitrarily high benchmark is 25. All other benchmarks are easier to achieve and arbitrarily set.

You can come up with your own benchmarks for achievement if you want, but the 20 and 3 is over 20+ games in 1 season.

Credit where it's due, it's 40 pages now we've been talking about HodgePodge's Humpty Dumpty impression. But I say that the greatest player of all time is the player with the greatest number of rebound 50s and hit outs combined. No idea who the might be, but these are the stats I want to cherry pick.

The only non-arbitrarily high benchmark is 25

No it's not, I've given valid reasons that exist outside my own personal will for the 20 game benchmark. You may not know what arbitrary means if you think that the 25 games is the only arbitrary level.

But I say that the greatest player of all time is the player with the greatest number of rebound 50s and hit outs combined.

Now this is arbitrary. I wonder how this latest analysis fits with Smedtsy's personal view that Dane Swan is the greatest player of all time.

But you said your benchmark is not arbitrary. You also said the higher benchmark is harder to achieve. So why is your benchmark only 20? The only non-arbitrarily high benchmark is 25. All other benchmarks are easier to achieve and arbitrarily set.

And that would be game set and match, were you talking to most members of society.

The real discussion to be had isn't whether people qualify for a 20 and 3 but the value of doing so. Given that David Clarke did it and wasn't good enough to be selected in one team's team of the century, let alone the competition wide team, it's clearly not much.

No it's not, I've given valid reasons that exist outside my own personal will for the 20 game benchmark. You may not know what arbitrary means if you think that the 25 games is the only arbitrary level.

Now this is arbitrary. I wonder how this latest analysis fits with Smedtsy's personal view that Dane Swan is the greatest player of all time.

It is just as arbitrary as yours. Nonsensical, but just as arbitrary.

Incidentally, that's not my view - that's the logical implication of yours. I've gone on record saying what a stupid idea it is to claim that you can identify one player as the greatest of all time in a game like AFL. You got quite upset about it at the time. It surprises me that your short term memory is so bad...

What are these valid reasons? It is the cut off for career statistics for cricket? Not valid, since we are talking about AFL, and season averages rather than career averages.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back