Find me a 20 and 3 season besides that of Leigh Matthews and my signature is yours

Remove this Banner Ad

Pied%2BPiper%2B1.jpg

You confined excellence to one game by giving the Grand Final ultimate importance.
No, I used your standard of the "minimum number of games to achieve excellence" = 25, not 20.

No, I used your standard of the "minimum number of games to achieve excellence" = 25, not 20.

That might have been your intention, but giving the Grand Final the ultimate significance narrows it down to 1 game, although that game would have to be the Grand Final.

Otherwise the minimum might as well be 20 in your example as well, because not all 25 games are required by any player in order to reach a Grand Final.

Because they were in their prime. Matthews only moved to a forward pocket because he no longer had the legs to play significant minutes in the midfield.

Nevertheless even in his diminished form as a forward who could no longer run in the midfield, Matthews Grand Finals record was better than Ablett's even when Gary was in his prime! :eek:
Didn't stop an old man by the name of K Bartlett winning in 1980 or another of G Williams in 1995 who were both well in their 30s and past it. Not to mention that thirty somethin back this year who got it.

Seems excuse of players bring in their prime is a failure too.

That might have been your intention, but giving the Grand Final the ultimate significance narrows it down to 1 game, although that game would have to be the Grand Final.
Oh dear. But remember using your other standard, the figure has to be set high as possible to make it hard to achieve? 1 games does not meet your other criteria. So 25 is the perfect balance of being hardest to achieve, and also the objective minimum number of games needed to achieve excellence.

Leigh Matthews has zero truly objective and non arbitrary 20 & 3s, he just has inferior 20 & 3s that Clarke and whathisface have.

Didn't stop an old man by the name of K Bartlett winning in 1980 or another of G Williams in 1995 who were both well in their 30s and past it.

Greg Williams wasn't necessarily past it, particularly because he began as a mature age recruit, and therefore he was only up to about 200 games in 1995, and relatively fresh. Plus, he was still playing a quasi-midfield game in said Grand Final.

KB of course was a freak of longevity and 1980 was one of his best years, so it suprises me to hear you say that he was past it when he'd just kicked 84 goals for the year.

Nevertheless both those players are champs and they performed well regardless of whether they won a Norm Smith or not.

The same can be said of Matthews, who performed well in those late Grand Finals, except for the final one which was his final game, and again I must reiterate, even in his diminished form as a forward who could no longer run in the midfield, Matthews Grand Finals record was better than Ablett's even when Gary was in his prime! :eek:

Matthews Grand Finals record was better than Ablett's even when Gary was in his prime! :eek:

Ablett was in his prime in 89 when he had 15 and 9, a performance that wasn't bettered by Matthews in 7 attempts, so again you're incorrect, as deemed by his Norm Smith.

Also interesting to note is that Ablett is the only player to ever 30 and 14 in a match, all this whilst playing wing/half forward for the day. Quite astounding.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ablett was in his prime in 89 when he had 15 and 9, a performance that wasn't bettered by Matthews in 7 attempts, so again you're incorrect, as deemed by his Norm Smith.

Also interesting to note is that Ablett is the only player to ever 30 and 14 in a match, all this whilst playing wing/half forward for the day. Quite astounding.
WOW 30 and 14! Now that is truly impressive. :thumbsu:

Matthews had only 3 attempts when past his prime, which is what we are discussing.

1983, 6 goals
1984, 4 goals
1985, 1 goal

The goal average for those 3 Grand Finals is considerably better than Ablett's in HIS Grand Finals.

The amazing thing is that Matthews was on his last legs and Ablett was in his prime!

all this whilst playing wing/half forward for the day. Quite astounding.

Quite bullshit.

The Sunday Age, 2004.
'As legend would have it, The Great Man kicked these goals from a wing and half-forward. But, really, did he? This detail has always smacked of legend outstripping truth.

WOW 30 and 14! Now that is truly impressive. :thumbsu:

RD 9 1989 in the best individual match/season by a player in the history of the game. A truly remarkable player.

Yes I was there that day.:thumbsu:

It should be no surprise that Leigh Matthews also has the best stats for a single game as well.

48 disposals, 11 goals 2 behinds against Essendon, Rd 3 1973.

It should be no surprise that Leigh Matthews also has the best stats for a single game as well.

meh. Still a worse midfielder than Mitch Robinson. :thumbsdown:

Matthews had only 3 attempts when past his prime, which is what we are discussing.

1983, 6 goals
1984, 4 goals
1985, 1 goal

The goal average for those 3 Grand Finals is considerably better than Ablett's in HIS Grand Finals.
One more attempt than God yet still couldn't manage a better effort. Ablett's other GF whilst finishing in his prime resulted in a 17 and 3 also from HF.

No, still Matthews doesn't stack up I'm afraid.

The amazing thing is that Matthews was on his last legs and Ablett was in his prime!
Ablett was only in his prime for 2 of those GF's which gives him a goal average of 6. Matthews is still behind.:)

Quite bullshit.

The Sunday Age, 2004.
'As legend would have it, The Great Man kicked these goals from a wing and half-forward. But, really, did he? This detail has always smacked of legend outstripping truth.
Nope I was there.

"People say to me that Steve had my measure, a lot of people have. But Stephen never played on me until I was 32 and over. If he had played on me when I was in my prime on a forward flank they would have had to put a miner's light on him because he would have still been out there looking for me at 10 o'clock that night." - Gary Ablett snr on SOS.

From the word of God himself.

If we're counting full forward possessions, Jason Dunstall went 29 and 17 against the Tigers. I'd trade 1 disposal for 3 goals.

Ablett played wing/HF that day and didn't rely on a dominant midfield to deliver lace out passes.

Ablett 14 up the ground >>>>> Dunstall 17 at FF.:)

No, don't believe your own rubbish or the rubbish with no official entry and just a guess.

Speed - Ablett
Skill - Ablett
Disposal - Ablett
Strength - Ablett
Marking - Ablett
Awareness - Ablett
Brilliance - Ablett
Burst - Ablett
Ability - Ablett
Performance - Ablett

I'm sorry your idol that you never seen play doesn't stack up in any component of the game, but like I said, except it or continue to live in frustration.

One more attempt than God yet still couldn't manage a better effort.

It's a better effort from Matthews in Grand Finals. Even if we compare over the hill Matthews to Ablett in his prime.

Ablett was only in his prime for 2 of those GF's

Nope, he was well in his prime in all of them. 89, 92 in blistering form. 94 and 95 he was the Coleman medallist.

Couldn't have had a better run at it, yet still falls behind a comparison with a Leigh Matthews who couldn't run in the midfield anymore due to getting OP midway through 1983. Amazing dominance by Lethal.

Nope I was there.

"People say to me that Steve had my measure, a lot of people have. But Stephen never played on me until I was 32 and over. If he had played on me when I was in my prime on a forward flank they would have had to put a miner's light on him because he would have still been out there looking for me at 10 o'clock that night." - Gary Ablett snr on SOS.

From the word of God himself.

Haha, that's nothing to do with the Richmond game, it's just some heroin addict who's been drinking his own bathwater. Sounds like you've had a sip, yourself. :eek:

Ablett played wing/HF that day and didn't rely on a dominant midfield to deliver lace out passes.

I'm just employing your own fallacy of double counting. Isn't 29 and 17 better than 30 and 14 to a person who tallies possessions and goals for full-forwards?

No, don't believe your own rubbish or the rubbish with no official entry and just a guess.

Speed - Ablett

*Yawn*

Football - Matthews.

Seen plenty of players who had superior attributes but were nowhere near the player Lethal was. .

Btw,

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1300&dat=19730424&id=35wQAAAAIBAJ&sjid=1JADAAAAIBAJ&pg=4485,5172930
Read 'em and weep :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back