Interchange - Only @ stops in play

Remove this Banner Ad

The Blue Baggers

Premiership Player
Apr 7, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
First question ; can anyone name another sport with interchange when the i/c can be effected @ any time ??? In basketball where the idea came from i/c can only occur during a stop.

suggest the same rule apply in afl (ie start of 1/4's, after goals).... removes the need for any other i/c rules.

why? concerned abt players coming off the bench when players on the ground are not expecting ... one day there will be a serious injury !!!

First question ; can anyone name another sport with interchange when the i/c can be effected @ any time ??? In basketball where the idea came from i/c can only occur during a stop.

suggest the same rule apply in afl (ie start of 1/4's, after goals).... removes the need for any other i/c rules.

why? concerned abt players coming off the bench when players on the ground are not expecting ... one day there will be a serious injury !!!

The way the game is today there could be a legitimate case for this.

This makes far more sense than interchange caps to me.
Limiting it to after goals, injury requiring a player to leave the ground, 50 metre penalties, blood rules and not much else might be a good way to do it. Interchange count is down, fans can see who comes on and off. All much better than hard caps.

Now there's a change.

Set it up so that you can only change after goals. PLayers can come off anytime, but players coming on can only happen after the ball is bounced in the center ( kinda like players entering the center square, bench players can only enter the ground ).

It'd fix a lot of the issues with the overuse of the bench...forcing fewer changes, and making clubs only do them when needed, because the players would enter away from the play.

I'm not a fan of the high rotations in the game, but I can't see this as being a good alternative. Football grounds are enormous compare to most other playing fields, so it doesn't affect the actual play that much. You also have trainers helping injured players off without stopping the play. Also, what happens to injured players? Can they be substituted? Low scoring slog in the wet becomes even harder.

I think there is a need for players to enter the field of play immediately when they are substituted, rather than 'hiding' off the field and blind-siding a player.

As many interchanges as you want, whenever you want.

All these rule changes have unforeseen consequences.

I enjoy not really noticing when players come on or off as it happens so much, I would rather not have an even longer break in play to make sure all players and on and off the ground.

Would just be another avenue for the AFL to get a quick commercial in

As many interchanges as you want, whenever you want.

All these rule changes have unforeseen consequences.
The unlimited interchange has had a huge unforeseen consequence.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like this idea heaps. Limit the interchanges to breaks in play like goals and quarter and half time breaks. This would slow the game down because players would not be as fresh, but I don't think this would be a bad thing. It might mean that players would have to play their position a bit more eg: full forwards remain in their attacking 50 with crumbing players around them, and centre half forwards playing in their attacking 50 out to the wings. This might ease congestion around the ball created by 36 players in one half of the field and open up the "scrums" that can develop.

this is possibly the stupidest idea i have ever heard in my life imo. why would you want to take the free flowing nature of afl football away this is what makes it so unique from other codes around the world. do we really want to make the game start-stop like basketball, american football etc, this will only delay the length of games and make it more boring to watch as a spectator.

I would consider a back to the future move - no interchange whatsoever
2-4 reserves to cover injuries, fatigue etc

Many of the worst aspects of our game correlate directly with the introduction of interchange: the flood, huge packs repeated stoppages, hard tags with a relay of players coming fresh off the bench , zones with no positional one on one play.

The removal of the interchange offers numerous obvious and worthy improvements, the only down side is the perceived reduction in running speed (which would be imperciptable and is patently unfair)

- reduces the danger of serious injuries because collisions would occur at a slower speed
- increases positional play as players would be incapable of continuously covering both ends of the ground
- more space for the most talented to execute kicking and evasive skills
- reduction in current pack and spread method
- tips the scale towards football talent and away from pure athletes
- reinforces that any type of body size or shape can play the game at the highest level
- tips the scale towards endurance players and away from the current burst players
- encourages one on one contests
- increase in goal scoring because negative and defensive tactics would be less effective
- provdes our umpires a fraction more time to make better decisions
- reduces effectiveness of hard tags as fatigue increases
- reduces effectiveness of teams heavily reliant on team defense and complex negative coaching strategies
- passes Parkins test to increase unpredictability and enjoyment of the game
- extends longevity of older star players because of reduction in high impact
- tips the scale towards key forwards because of greater space and less effective defensive zones
- welcome back lockett and Dunstall types
- welcome back wingers like Robbie Flower, Doug Hawkins, Keith Greig
- tips the spectacle to great players and away from great coaching set-ups
- rewards the fittest and hardest workers
- in game coaching and tutoring becomes more difficult - advantages the smarter and more instinctive player
- less tackles, less stoppages
- less secondary and tertiary stoppages
- much more high kicks to one on one contests as players fatigue and resort to bail out kicks
- star players stay on the ground all the time, resting up forward not on the bench
There are many many more advantages
The one thing we lose is the current entirely unfair burst thru a pack by a fresh player being chased forlornly by exhausted players. Speed is relative and if everyone slows down the actual slower running speed is imperciptable to the naked eye but crucial in mitigating serious injuries.

The question we need to ask ourselves is why did we introduce the interchange in the first place?
It was not there for a 100 years. It was something Kevin Sheedy and other coaches wanted and if your a coach I can understand why you would want it. As custodians of the game our principle focus must not be to enable coaches to manipulate results - our responsibility is to make the game more enjoyable to watch and to play. To encourage skill and enable all body types to play this once great game.

If you want a coaches game their is grid iron - it is all about coaches
And we have and are copying grid iron with all of these line coaches
The removal of the interchange will not be the end of line coaches but it will make their job significantly more difficult. It will make all these defensive set-ups much less effective and empower the more skilful players.

Their is no logical purpose for interchange
Substitutes/ reserves meet the requirement to cover injuries and in the event of few or no injuries enable the coaches to make some tactical adjustments. Surely that is sufficient.

GIVE US BACK OUR GAME - at the minute it is dying
There were always dull games and great games as there is today.
But there were not always so many games which are entirely unwatchable -if not for the closeness of the scores or the significance of the result - too many games are unwatchable repeated stoppages, repeated tackle after tackle and goals are scored because of errors not because of great skill.

A pox on the AFL

A pox on the AFL

The real pox on the AFL is the belief that continual rule changes attempting to "fix" the game will actually fix the game. All the rule changes aimed at speeding the game up, slowing it down, reducing congestion etc. have only increased what they've tried to remedy.

The game evolves. Leave it be, and it will sort itself out

The real pox on the AFL is the belief that continual rule changes attempting to "fix" the game will actually fix the game. All the rule changes aimed at speeding the game up, slowing it down, reducing congestion etc. have only increased what they've tried to remedy.

The game evolves. Leave it be, and it will sort itself out
There are good sensible rule changes : 50 metre penalty, centre square ruck circle, ruckman taking the ball out of the ruck, ruckman punching the ball out of play on the full. All these were introduced to stop a very specific problem with a very simple and specific solution.

What problem was the interchange designed to fix? Coaches frustration perhaps? What are its consequences? What consequences would there be from its removal - as it is not a rule change to the way the game is played?
Instead we are going down this increasingly contrived path of limiting interchanges - pick a number any number - and this tinkering of numbers will go on ad infinitum - to what end?

The game is 18 v 18
Provide cover for injuries sure, but anything more and you encourage coaches to skew the game, control it by whatever artifice they can conceive. Ablett too good! Lets have 3 fresh players rotating off the bench to stop him. Ditto Franklin. Can't stop Hawkins marking, lets rotate a fresh loose in defence so he can get to every marking contest and spike the ball. The opposition mid field is too good, get some strong, super fit no talented players to contain the ball with continuous ball ups and frustrate them to death. Cotchin, Deludio too classy, get fresh guys off the bench to continuously crunch them and tackle them to death.

At the minute, a number of coaches use the interchange rotations to target the opposition best players and physically maul them, batter them out of the game with fresh players. Not every side is doing it as yet but by the end of the season it will be routine.

Either way, the idea that fresh players can be tactically deployed to exploit fatigued players has changed the nature of the game and made the coaching more interesting then the contest.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back