Rumour Simon Goodwin, Bailey's replacement?

Remove this Banner Ad

Chalk and cheese though

We actually need an experienced head in there helping Sanderson. I imagine that it's a totally different role than what he's doing currently at Essendon. I would be more than happy for Goodwin to come back to the club, but we need someone with far more experience than Goodwin as Sando's wingman.

The problem is I don't think Bassett would be Sanderson's wingman, because, just quietly, I think Bassett might believe he's a better coach than Sanderson. (please note, this is not a fact, just casual observation).

And I think he would have some claims.

The problem is I don't think Bassett would be Sanderson's wingman, because, just quietly, I think Bassett might believe he's a better coach than Sanderson. (please note, this is not a fact, just casual observation).

And I think he would have some claims.

I agree

Goodwin has "career assistant" written all over him and I can see him being satisfied doing that role. I actually rate Bassett far more than I do Goodwin as a potential senior coach.

Bassett IMO will be a senior coach at AFL level within 5 years, I just don't see Goodwin as senior coach material as he's far too quiet and reserved as a person.

I tend to agree, but Im not sure the person you and I want for this position actually exists. Im not sure we realised it at the time but picking Dean Bailey up was quite a master stroke.

It's beyond measure how much this loss has hurt us, not just from a practical perspective, but an emotional one too.

I agree

Goodwin has "career assistant" written all over him and I can see him being satisfied doing that role. I actually rate Bassett far more than I do Goodwin as a senior coach.

Bassett IMO will be a senior coach at AFL level within 5 years, I just don't see Goodwin as senior coach material as he's far too quiet and reserved as a person.

How is it even possible to yet rate what Simon Goodwin would be like as a senior coach?

When recruiting a senior assistant, is there merit in choosing someone who has experience in the senior assistant role?

I agree

Goodwin has "career assistant" written all over him and I can see him being satisfied doing that role. I actually rate Bassett far more than I do Goodwin as a potential senior coach.

Like Adam Simpson?

I think you underestimate Goodwin's determination and communication skills. He's been a mouthpiece for the Bombers a few times this year, and he's very highly rated at Essendon.

Would be a great discussion to have - SANFL/WAFL/VFL success vs AFL asst coach experience. Everyone's all over Bassett, but would Roy Laird have made a good AFL coach? Not sure. Horses for courses perhaps.

When recruiting a senior assistant, is there merit in choosing someone who has experience in the senior assistant role?

Salient.

I also think Bassett is quite a deal smarter than Goodwin.

Bassett is scary intelligent. Very high football IQ. (For a defender....)

Bassett IMO is also a far better communicator than Goodwin. Even tough Goodwin had a stint as captain I'm just not convinced that he possesses the alpha male type personality and authority that it takes to be an effective leader whereas Bassett has that quality in spades.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Like Adam Simpson?

I think you underestimate Goodwin's determination and communication skills. He's been a mouthpiece for the Bombers a few times this year, and he's very highly rated at Essendon.

Would be a great discussion to have - SANFL/WAFL/VFL success vs AFL asst coach experience. Everyone's all over Bassett, but would Roy Laird have made a good AFL coach? Not sure. Horses for courses perhaps.

Personally I just don't have the belief that he has the right type of personaity to be a successful senior coach. I am only basing that from my perspective of him during his time as a player.

As for Adam Simpson just because someone has been given a senior coaching role does not mean that you're a great coach, I don't doubt that Goodwin could potentially be given a senior coaching role, but I do have doubts about how successful he would actually be. I could be wrong, but for me I think that Goodwin just comes across as a Sando Mk 2.

Seems like a better replacement for Mark Bickley than Dean Bailey, as we should be looking to upgrade and get in more experience in most positions. Was Deans role supposed to change this year? so perhaps they aren't looking to replace his 2012 role.
Campo is the midfield coach - not Bicks - who should not be forward coach.

Salient.

I also think Bassett is quite a deal smarter than Goodwin.

Bassett is scary intelligent. Very high football IQ. (For a defender....)
Defenders tend to be smarter than the rest.

How many coaches are defenders...

Campo is the midfield coach - not Bicks - who should not be forward coach.

I think that Bickley is still the "Senior Assistant" though while Dean was Coach Strategy and Innovation, so thats where I was coming from. Your right though, I'm not suggesting bring him in for Bicks as a straight swap in the forward role.

As a head coach yes, but as an experienced wingman for Sanderson they are useful. If Voss wanted to come then the club IMO should be all over it.

If Slippery Pete has been striking out on the dancefloor at Zhivago's for the last 4 years, why do I then want his advice on how to coax the young ladies into a cab with me?

If Slippery Pete has been striking out on the dancefloor at Zhivago's for the last 4 years, why do I then want his advice on how to coax the young ladies into a cab with me?

(1) Slippery Pete has never struck out
(2) It's not advice per se as much as it is Rohypnol

Remove this Banner Ad

Back