Analysis Lewis Jetta

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
A lazy show pony. The inside 50 stat is because he runs hard to be on the end of it. One way runner who refuses to run to close down space or the uncontested possession. Dummygate and his camera hogging histrionics in the circle at the team song makes me cringe as much as watching him attempt to tackle. Harden up work harder and pull your head in or GTFO.

A lazy show pony. The inside 50 stat is because he runs hard to be on the end of it. One way runner who refuses to run to close down space or the uncontested possession. Dummygate and his camera hogging histrionics in the circle at the team song makes me cringe as much as watching him attempt to tackle. Harden up work harder and pull your head in or GTFO.

Gotta admit... Hawthorn picked him out as the player to exploit on the rebound.

I just want to know why Longmire decided to change his game style after 2013.

45 goals in a season from a wing apparently isn't very helpful.

Was it just because coaches figured him out?

I think you mean after 2012. Personally I'd like to see him play deeper and see if he can hit the scoreboard again, but he's the kind of player who likes an early touch or often he's unsighted all day. He's a beautiful, long kick and combine that with his run and carry he's still an integral part of the way Sydney play, but he's still far too inconsistent, and his bad form often stretches for weeks. In 2012 he was an unbelievable weapon partly because he was an unknown quantity, and as you alluded to he's been figured out by a lot of other clubs defensive coaching staff. On top of that he's a receiver rather than a ball winner, and he'll always be that way, which in part explains his poor grand final- he didn't get enough supply from ball winners who weren't getting it to him. No excuse for the defensive side of his game though, which needs to improve again. Perhaps he should follow Keiren Jack around again this preseason. If Gary Rohan and Harry Cunningham can continue to develop and provide extra speed and ball carrying on the outside, that will take some of the pressure off as well.

This a thousand times.

But do you trade all of them because they were all awful ????

They would all get the arse if it was that simplistic so you are spot on with that. Facts are he can't be traded but unless his effort and preparedness to work hard don't improve dramatically he will be a liability and weakness that will be exploited by plenty of other sides that would have been watching his effort GF Day. He was piss weak no matter witch way you look at it and the wider AFL Community know it. Regardless of his inside 50's which he is always on the end of he is a passenger cut and dry. Reid not far behind him.

Mate haters are going to hate.

Spend some time watching our team. Collectively.

I can tell you this much. They exploited Parker and Goodes way more on gf day. Every player who was matched up on them just ran to be used goal side.

Until this board wises up to the real problem of having so many slow one dimensional players forward of the ball and how poor our kicking to a forwards advantage is (the only exceptions being franklin, Jetta and McVeigh with honourable mention to jack when chipping to a lead) meaning how critical it is to actually lock the ball in.

Until the board realises that when you are absolutely brained at the stoppages it wouldn't matter whether you had Robbie flower and doug Hawkins with Darren Millane coming off the bench as our wingmen.

You know at one stage during the game the inside fifty differential was around 25 and we might have had about 15 at the time. Can't some of you realise how badly we were smashed in the ruck and centre square.

Honestly some of you just see what you want - some of you simply can't help but to see the leaf on the single tree. The goddamn forest is there for you to look at.

I thought his season was good this year without hitting the heights of 2012. Have to say though is it just me or does he not look that quick anymore?

I can tell you this much. They exploited Parker and Goodes way more on gf day. Every player who was matched up on them just ran to be used goal side.

Until this board wises up to the real problem of having so many slow one dimensional players forward of the ball and how poor our kicking to a forwards advantage is (the only exceptions being franklin, Jetta and McVeigh with honourable mention to jack when chipping to a lead) meaning how critical it is to actually lock the ball in.

Until the board realises that when you are absolutely brained at the stoppages it wouldn't matter whether you had Robbie flower and doug Hawkins with Darren Millane coming off the bench as our wingmen.

You know at one stage during the game the inside fifty differential was around 25 and we might have had about 15 at the time. Can't some of you realise how badly we were smashed in the ruck and centre square.

Honestly some of you just see what you want - some of you simply can't help but to see the leaf on the single tree. The goddamn forest is there for you to look at.
Exploited Parker and Goodes , your joking, how can you defend Jetta and Mc Veigh when they constantly s**t themselves

You seriously didn't watch that game. Goodes was one of our better players. As frightening as it is to admit that.

Goodes!? He was one of our best players on the day, He doesn't have the influence he had back in his day but he still plays a pivotal role in the team. As for the performance in the ruck and centre square - we never really looked like performing anywhere on the park. Our whole ball game was waaaaaaaaaay off.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How many of those I50's were straight to opponents?

More LOLz.

No doubt you would prefer we play 22 Parkers who can't hit the side of a barn with a 20m pass but can get in and under.
The direct opposite of having sublime skills but a reluctance to get in and under.
2 sides of the same coin.
That's why we have 22 players with different skill sets. Seemed to work quite well for the majority of the year, perhaps that's just me.

The criticism of Jets is way over the top. With Eski gone, we are going to rely on his foot skills much more next year.

More LOLz.

No doubt you would prefer we play 22 Parkers who can't hit the side of a barn with a 20m pass but can get in and under.
The direct opposite of having sublime skills but a reluctance to get in and under.
2 sides of the same coin.
That's why we have 22 players with different skill sets. Seemed to work quite well for the majority of the year, perhaps that's just me.

The criticism of Jets is way over the top. With Eski gone, we are going to rely on his foot skills much more next year.
Its ok to have good foot skills, but you still have to be able to get it and he can't

Still don't get it do you ? Two things. Don't label me a hater because I don't hate Lewis Jetta. I am not listing Jetta's worth on his GF Day performance, yet to try and prove your point you give us chapter and verse of what took place GF Day. Don't try and baffle people with bullshit and maybe try taking a more direct look at the basic things that Jetta doesn't do. You know, those basic little things that help win games of football. If you think he does those then it is you that is not watching the team collectively.

Last edited:
You seriously didn't watch that game. Goodes was one of our better players. As frightening as it is to admit that.

goodes was great when we had the ball. which we very rarely had.

its all very well saying goodes had some great moments. If you want to see an example of what i am talking about watch the goal in the third quarter which started with goodes missed shot.

in fact if you dont want to watch it let me describe it for you. the ball gets kicked out to the rhb flank. it is marked by the hawks. goodes missed the shot from 40 out at about 45 degrees - he has moved to the lhb flank (about fifteen metres from where he kicked it). parker is standing at about true chf. the hawks bring the ball back inside the fifty. parker and hannerbury switch men as hanners man runs across the fifty and hill drifts out to where goodes is. we now have parker playing on birchall, goodes moves to hill. The ball swings across to spangher who is about ten metres from the boundary line and being closed down by franklin. at this moment both hill and birchall run goal side of our two players, who both get caught ball watching - franklin pushes spangher in the back as he kicks - which exacerbates the moment but doesnt change what had already taken place - which was both birchall and hill now have fifteen metres on the swans player - ball goes over the back hill gets it takes two bounces hits roughhead on the lead. goal kicked.

some of you think that me picking this example out is because I am saying goodes and parker dont chase. Maybe you might think about what i am saying.

but to spell it out some of you say "jetta is a lazy &***& because he doesnt chase." well he isnt alone - have a watch of that play. "jetta is a weak **** because he doesnt tackle". watch more of the games and you will see him lay a lot of tackles - i have already posted stats which show he made more tackles and at a higher average per game than hill and smith. But I am not saying anything about jetta really - i just dont see the point of slagging of our players when i think it is much bigger than the size of jetta or mcveighs heart...

What you are all saying is that some of our players (goodes, franklin, some say pyke) really looked like they tried hard. and then you say and some didnt (jetta mcveigh). I understand your frustration. But what I am trying to say that is that they all tried hard.

its just that we were outcoached and outhought and exploited.

We play a very very predictable game style. One which works against about 16 of the teams because of better players and matchups which work well to our advantage.

But the hawks have knocked us over time and time again. And it isnt jetta's weak efforts that lose these games. And it really wouldnt matter who we put on the wings because the game was won and lost in the ruck, the centre square and the structures we employed and the tactics we adopted.

They match up and exploit the match ups. if hill is playing on goodes they kick it to space. If roughhead is playing on ted they honour his leads. They have puopolo, rioli and breust play our goal side from stoppages so there is never a free handpass going backwards so we bomb it long instead of running it through the middle.

they have lewis and hodge belt jetta and mitchell hit rohan so our outside run is stopped. we cant go backwards, we cant go to the sides. We kick it long down the line where we have three talls compete against two or three of theirs and there is nothing to go to from there even if we do win it - and we dont have anyone small remotely near the contest because they are all sucked to the stoppage.

you can all go "jetta he's so soft" all you want. Bedford does it better than most of you. But if you actually want to win a flag the hawks are the team we actually have to beat and the issue here is much bigger than jetta.

But sure its an internet forum so go on being the hard men

But if you actually want to win a flag the hawks are the team we actually have to beat and the issue here is much bigger than jetta.

I wonder if the gap between us and the Hawks was bigger than we thought. While I felt that we had the team to beat them if we could produce our best football, they have had our measure overall since 2012 and they have now beaten us convincingly in three finals series (2011, 2013 and 2014). So perhaps the right lessons have not been learned.

Still don't get it do you ? Two things. Don't label me a hater because I don't hate Lewis Jetta. I am not listing Jetta's worth on his GF Day performance, yet to try and prove your point you give us chapter and verse of what took place GF Day. Don't try and baffle people with bullshit and maybe try taking a more direct look at the basic things that Jetta doesn't do. You know, those basic little things that help win games of football. If you think he does those then it is you that is not watching the team collectively.

Look I really don't care what you think or what your views are. If I baffle you, you can call it bs if that makes you feel better.

I am trying to simply say - focus on jetta all you want if that makes you sleep better at night.

I take the view that he played poorly on gf day but stats would say he didnt have a bad year and the evidence of my own eyes says the same thing. And if i intended to hang everyone for having a bad gf I'd start with the coaches and the centre square set ups and key players and then work my way down to the wingmen who are part of a dismantled midfield.

But at some point you either look forward to 2015 or you dont.

I wonder if the gap between us and the Hawks was bigger than we thought. While I felt that we had the team to beat them if we could produce our best football, they have had our measure overall since 2012 and they have now beaten us convincingly in three finals series (2011, 2013 and 2014). So perhaps the right lessons have not been learned.

It took a superhuman effort to beat them in 2012 111 tackles? yer thats something that can't be reproduced frequently especially in a GF we kicked 14.7 and still only won by 10pts.

3 grand finals in a row(missed out on a 4th by a kick) they are seriously a once in a generation side while we are just a good side, not convinced about Port they have more depth issues than us and will have a much harder draw in 2015.

GF rematch will be very interesting.

Until we learn how to hit targets by foot and move away from the long kicking/bombing game plan the better , even tough we did finish top ( 15th in the comp for kicking eff and wether that be because we are number 1 for long kicks doesn't change the fact that shows terrible ball use most weeks ).
How many games did we continue to kick long and pick the lose back time and time again.
If our mids could hit targets going I50 and kick to the advantage of the likes of Tippett/Buddy/Goodes etc etc on a more consistent basis well it might make things a lot more difficult for defenders then bombing to the lose , look at hawks with roughy , gunsten etc.
If there is one knock on our midfield that is most of them couldn't hit the side of a barn.

Until we learn how to hit targets by foot and move away from the long kicking/bombing game plan the better , even tough we did finish top ( 15th in the comp for kicking eff and wether that be because we are number 1 for long kicks doesn't change the fact that shows terrible ball use most weeks ).
How many games did we continue to kick long and pick the lose back time and time again.
If our mids could hit targets going I50 and kick to the advantage of the likes of Tippett/Buddy/Goodes etc etc on a more consistent basis well it might make things a lot more difficult for defenders then bombing to the lose , look at hawks with roughy , gunsten etc.
If there is one knock on our midfield that is most of them couldn't hit the side of a barn.

You reckon having Kennedy, Parker and Mitchell in the middle next year will help?

I'm worried.

I am in this camp.

Jetta is very much a confidence player. When he is firing , there is no stopping him. He is our best user of the footy and can break the lines.

I think we have I make a point of giving him the ball more, much like we did with mal. If we can get it to him early and build his confidence , he will get back to the 2012 version.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back